Helton back to USC?

Considering his brother won't be there next year, I doubt it.

And even if he is. Your ass is on fire before the season even starts, so you are gonna go straight nepotism and rehire your brother? Yeah, they won't like that.

Not saying he isn't qualified. But still, not a good look for big Helton.
Yup

Yes we consider it....That would explain 40th or 50th or maybe even 60th in the country. There is absolutely no reason for an OC with an offense full of 4, 5 and high 3 star players to be ranked 113th....ever. Not strength of schedule, not butch, not injuries, lack of stability, or "system players". D is in the exact same position and is ranked around 43 I believe. Helton has been exposed and is a glaring weakness on this staff. We will never be a championship team with him as oc.

Believe all you want but this team is shot. Helton destroyed records when he was the OC at WKU, Ask Tee if Helton was a glaring weakness. It's year one of disaster relief, and little by little this team and players are getting better, and he is a part of that equation.

If Clay could of finished strong, I saw this happening. But it looks extremely doubtful now. I think he has to find a way to beat
Notre Dame to stand a chance to return. So I don’t see that happening, therefore I think Tyson will stick with us now.

who wouldn't want to work with/for their brother if they could and both be successful but this coaching football thingee can be a cruel mistress...yes Ty could take a leap of faith and leave but he'd better give it a hell of a lot of thought...of course, will Coach Pruitt even want him around after this season....we'll see...;)

GO VOLS...BEAT TIGERS!

Believe all you want but this team is shot. Helton destroyed records when he was the OC at WKU, Ask Tee if Helton was a glaring weakness. It's year one of disaster relief, and little by little this team and players are getting better, and he is a part of that equation.
Helton didn't call one play or formulate one single gameplan at WKU. He was a glorified qb coach.

I still think he is a good coach. Learning on the job though.

With the HC brother taking away Tee’s play calling any chance he comes after his brother to come back and make him the official OC?

This absolutely makes zero sense for Clay Helton to do. You're meaning to tell me that a coach on the hot seat (likely fired after a 8 win or less season) is going to go out and hire his brother who is a first time OC? If that is the answer to turn it around, Clay Helton deserves to be fired on the spot. Helton has to go out and hire the caliber OC of someone like a Kiffin (Post Bama), Ryan Day, Matt Canada (give him a solid QB and playmakers), Kendall Briles, or even steal someone like Cale Gundy....

Point is that Clay Helton would be insane to turn to his Brother in a hot seat year that will likely be his last. Also, I seriously doubt that USC would fork over the money to pay Helton what he is making now considering the tax liability difference for Cali vs TN. Someone needs to ask Helton how he likes his pay stub withholdings in TN vs Cali.

The people who some on here choose to blame for losing games is proof that we have a very low IQ fan base. Helton is doing very good with what he has to work with and I sure hope he stays.

This absolutely makes zero sense for Clay Helton to do. You're meaning to tell me that a coach on the hot seat (likely fired after a 8 win or less season) is going to go out and hire his brother who is a first time OC? If that is the answer to turn it around, Clay Helton deserves to be fired on the spot. Helton has to go out and hire the caliber OC of someone like a Kiffin (Post Bama), Ryan Day, Matt Canada (give him a solid QB and playmakers), Kendall Briles, or even steal someone like Cale Gundy....

Point is that Clay Helton would be insane to turn to his Brother in a hot seat year that will likely be his last. Also, I seriously doubt that USC would fork over the money to pay Helton what he is making now considering the tax liability difference for Cali vs TN. Someone needs to ask Helton how he likes his pay stub withholdings in TN vs Cali.
Winner-Winner-800x800.gif

So we have a good coach but you would like to see the best offensive coach we have had in years leave go. So silly.
Best offensive coach in years...that's the standard?? Just because he is the smartest kid on the short bus doesn't mean he can win championships. A single offensive TD to a Charlotte D comprised mostly of 2 to 0 star players is unacceptable by any standard and under any excuse. 113 is unacceptable to me and I hope it's unacceptable to CJP. We will find out.

You know, my avi originated during the coacing search. But now, I think its applies to some of our fans posts.

Reactions: Behr and Smokey X
5 weeks ago this Saturday was the Auburn game, so I don’t think your timing is quite correct, seeing as how the offensive plan that day was very, very good. Although I understand your point in calling out the fanbase’s incredibly fickle nature. It’s truly something to behold.

Personally, I’ve not been one, at any point this season, to come out against Helton and suggest he needs to go. Like all the other coaches, especially Pruitt, he’s had to deal with a completely “broken” team, only he’s had it worse than anybody else because of the complete and utter incompetence of the soft OL. Not sure what you can confidently call if you’re an OC knowing you have that OL blocking, especially as a relatively inexperienced OC and playcaller like Helton. He’s been predictable at times for sure, but I suspect some of that is Pruitt trying to dictate that he “establish an identity” for the offense, even if the offense isn’t really suited for it.....primarily because of the awful OL, so he’s back to square one again, which is the bad OL.

Bottom line, I sure hope he’s back for the players’ sake next year. They need the continuity that it would provide. We’ve seen, at times/several times, what the offense can be with some execution from the OL and it’s good, even really good. Last thing we need is a new OC and what has been a really confused, slow to learn OL group having to start over next year in a new system. Not to mention that JG and the other skill players don’t need a 3rd or 4th OC in their 3rd or 4th years here.
Aproximately 5 weeks ago.
We are on the same page for sure. I think Helton has done a fine job this year. The offense has struggled at times but there are reasons for that, not excuses. The team is not as physical as this offense requires, we really need a couple of grown men on the line to open holes and protect the QB, and the offense is growing into a system that is nothing like Jones. Helton has found ways to be effective as the season has gone along. There were times where everyone was frustrated by running on 1st down on what seemed like every first down and the lack of downfield passing but you call the plays the team is able to execute and what you need the team to do. The only real complaint I have at this time is that damn hands behind JG's back with the wiggling fingers. That is a dead give-a-way that a run is coming. We should cut that out.
He needs to stick around. The future for him at Tennessee appears to be getting brighter. If he can stick it out another 2 or 3 years and continue to improve, his stock will sky-rocket and then he won't have to take a lateral move.

If the brother gets fired and ends up in a new job that might make it even more likely that TH leaves UT to join him. Hard to predict this one due to the family ties involved. I think UT would be better off if he stays for a while, but the Kiffin situation cured me of assuming these things. Sort of like Chris Sims and recruiting.

With the HC brother taking away Tee’s play calling any chance he comes after his brother to come back and make him the official OC?

If he gets canned instead, Tee may be coming hat in hand to us...I think that would be amusing. Perhaps he could take a role like Butch's, a $35,000 per year "analyst" getting Pruitt's coffee.

Reactions: Remy
In a matter of a calendar week y'all have our head coach going to bama, and our o.c. to USC. Can we finish the season first ?!🙄

Last edited:
That's the bad part about hiring any west coast guys. They always wanna go back at sometime. If he was to go, then i would look at bringing Channey back to Tennessee. I would take Channey and Sam Pittman (O-line coach at Georgia) in a minute.

No, cause he wouldn't of left in the first place.........................

This is what I was thinking. If he wanted him at OC, he would have just booted Tee down last year. He was ok with Tyson leaving, I suspect. I think Tyson stays around for a while while this thing gets going at UT. He's payed pretty well.

Reactions: Alto1

VN Store

Back