He is not worth 5 million a year

Took over an 8 win team and made the tourney in year one and that was without the top player in the country missing the entire year 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀

Either way, my main point is you’re overrating Barnes. He’s a good coach but he’s not worth $5M

He may not be but to compare him and Martin? Would you take CM over Barnes?

Reactions: lccstory@gmail.co
Martin had a developed program when he walked into the door. Pearl left him some talent. Barnes had to build from the bottom up. There is no comparison. Martin was a very average coach and still is.

I'm not completely disagreeing with what you're saying. What I am saying is that he posted ALL FACTS about Cuonzo compared to Barnes. Those FACTS are that Martin went to the Sweet 16 quicker than Barnes and he has the same amount of NCAA wins(three) at Tennessee in one fewer season.

ALL FACTS. You sorta helped my argument too in that people don't handle FACTS about Martin and go in all out defense mode to tear down what he accomplished. Simple as that.

I don't care what he's "worth." Fact is he's the best we can expect to have at this school, and if $5 mil is what it takes to keep a 31-6 coach around you do it.

Best we can expect to have? Cuonzo Martin made a sweet sixteen. Jerry Green won an SEC title. Don Devoe made the tournament consistently for awhile.

Tennessee is a really good job. We can find someone that will put up results.

I'm completely disagreeing with what you're saying, what I SAID is that he posted ALL FACTS about Cuonzo compared to Barnes. Those FACTS are that Martin went to the Sweet 16 quicker than Barnes and he has the same amount of wins(three) in one fewer season.

Fact is not a program in the SEC would ever pick CM over RB.

Agree. Pay him, Pay him, Pay him.
Maybe we didn't get past Sweet 16, but darn! at least we had a great season and were WINNING at something.

If Barnes starts making $5M/year, then UT fans should adjust and expect better results in the tournament then. You want to be paid like a top ten coach then you better produce like a top ten program. No more getting bounced by Loyola or having a preseason top 10 team not win a conference title or make a Final Four.
“No more..... having a preseason top ten team not win a conference title or make a Final Four”
I mean, we weren’t the highest ranked SEC in the preseason, and we weren’t ranked in the top four, so why is no SEC championship and no Final Four 100% underachieving? Coach Barnes just won the most games in two years for this basketball program EVER two years after taking over at a terrible time and folks on here act like he’s been a disappointment, because a few bounces haven’t went our way in a couple of single elimination tournaments. It’s ridiculous.

Best we can expect to have? Cuonzo Martin made a sweet sixteen. Jerry Green won an SEC title. Don Devoe made the tournament consistently for awhile.

Tennessee is a really good job. We can find someone that will put up results.
How many of those won 31 games? What was Cuonzo's SEC record?

The tourney is a crapshoot. Unless you believe Porter Moser is a $5 million coach that is...

Be as good as you can for as long as you can and get hot/lucky at the right time. That's how college basketball works. With 57 wins in two years and the 4/5 stars starting to come in Barnes is doing exactly that.

But folks: This is US and this is NOW. It doesn't matter what someone else did somewhere else, or what someone else did here. We don't want another search, and we have good players coming in for next year. For once, let's build on a good thing. Pay the Man. He deserves it.

Reactions: TC 83
If Barnes starts making $5M/year, then UT fans should adjust and expect better results in the tournament then. You want to be paid like a top ten coach then you better produce like a top ten program. No more getting bounced by Loyola or having a preseason top 10 team not win a conference title or make a Final Four.

I really like barnes,but I agree with this.

How many of those won 31 games? What was Cuonzo's SEC record?

The tourney is a crapshoot. Unless you believe Porter Moser is a $5 million coach that is...

Be as good as you can for as long as you can and get hot/lucky at the right time. That's how college basketball works. With 57 wins in two years, and the 4/5 stars starting to come in Barnes is doing exactly that.

Well he’s signed one 5* so far. The other two guys he signed this year? Projects.

And I’m just saying, you start getting paid like a top ten coach, you should produce a top ten program. Top ten programs win conference titles and make Final Fours.

Reactions: treali94
And there’s a reason why CM keeps job hopping from school to school.

In 2015-16 season, he had two Freshman All Americans Jalen Brown & Ivan Rabb and lost in the 1st round in the NCAA Tournament when he was at Cal.

Never seen a coach who can recruit talent but is clueless on how to use it.

When he snuck into the play in game and went on a run against Iowa/UMass/Mercer? I'll take Barnes' 26-9 SEC title every single day.
As we saw this year, and what casual bball fans fail to understand, is that the postseason is what matters. If you win 30 something games and lose in the first round your year sucked.

Look at AUB. Top ten preseason. Bad regular season. Not even ranked most if the year.

Won in the postseason. Turned their year into a great year. No one will remember all the regular season losses and disappointment.

Who had a better year, UT or AUB?

AUB. Because they went further.

Well he’s signed one 5* so far. The other two guys he signed this year? Projects.

And I’m just saying, you start getting paid like a top ten coach, you should produce a top ten program. Top ten programs win conference titles and make Final Fours.
And I'm saying I'd rather have Barnes at $5 million than McMahon for $2 million.

Sure, $5 mil should get you guys that are unquestionably elite, but those guys aren't coming here.

Reactions: JoAllan
As we saw this year, and what casual bball fans fail to understand, is that the postseason is what matters. If you win 30 something games and lose in the first round your year sucked.

Look at AUB. Top ten preseason. Bad regular season. Not even ranked most if the year.

Won in the postseason. Turned their year into a great year. No one will remember all the regular season losses and disappointment.

Who had a better year, UT or AUB?

AUB. Because they went further.
Casual basketball fans? If you don't understand how freaking random the tournament is, you're lacking an understanding of both basketball and probability lol. It's a mess, and way too volatile to use as the only evaluator of a coach. There's a reason less than 0.5% can guess the final 4, it's crazy. If you're willing to sweep a 31 win season under the rug because we lost in overtime to a darn good Purdue team, I don't know what to tell you.

Why not, Cal does it almost every year.

Casual basketball fans? If you don't understand how freaking random the tournament is, you're lacking an understanding of both basketball and probability lol. It's a mess, and way too volatile to use as the only evaluator of a coach. There's a reason less than 0.5% can guess the final 4, it's crazy. If you're willing to sweep a 31 win season under the rug because we lost in overtime to a darn good Purdue team, I don't know what to tell you.
Yes. Casual.

If you don't understand basketball is all about the postseason you are a casual.

Who had the better year? UT or AUB?

Why not, Cal does it almost every year.
K lost to Mercer/Lehigh, Izzo lost to MTSU, Self lost to Northern Iowa, Cal got bounced by the team that got bounced by Loyola. Bennett lost to my UMBC lol. Guess those guys are overpaid.

Not in basketball, Not when you are a sweet 16 coach. And not when you have 1 conference tourney in 30th years of coaching.

Cal is not worth 9 million, I will add.

I'm happy Kensuckey signed signed Mr Hair Gel long term , he wont get to corrupt another school BB program...………..GO VOLS

VN Store

Back