He is not worth 5 million a year

Do come in here with facts like that about Cuonzo's tenure at Tennessee. Most Tennessee fans can't handle things like that happen to go against their rhetoric of not liking Martin.
Martin had a developed program when he walked into the door. Pearl left him some talent. Barnes had to build from the bottom up. There is no comparison. Martin was a very average coach and still is.

If Barnes starts making $5M/year, then UT fans should adjust and expect better results in the tournament then. You want to be paid like a top ten coach then you better produce like a top ten program. No more getting bounced by Loyola or having a preseason top 10 team not win a conference title or make a Final Four.

Had more talent to work with than Barnes and barely made the tournament? 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
But Barnes has the two time SEC POTY AND potentially three draft picks.

You sure about that?

Barnes is a better coach no doubt.

He has better players than Zo, who had more success through the first three years here. He just had the misfortune of following Pearl.

If we're gonna pay $5 million a year, we might as well offer it to Tom Izzo, Tony Bennett, Bill Self, Chris Mack, Roy Williams, Jay Wright or Mark Few. None of them make over $4.2 million a year. One of them might just take it. Now I don't believe for a minute any of them would, but is Rick Barnes really worth that much? For $5 mil, I want some Final Fours and National Champions.

But Barnes has the two time SEC POTY AND potentially three draft picks.

You sure about that?

Barnes is a better coach no doubt.

He has better players than Zo, who had more success through the first three years here. He just had the misfortune of following Pearl.

Why is he doing terrible at Missouri then?

Take 5 Mil from UCLA in the buyout, hire someone like the Texas Tech coach, Pay off Butch/Holly, spend the money for a top lady coach.
I think UT is going to be hurting in basketball next year anyway.

If we're gonna pay $5 million a year, we might as well offer it to Tom Izzo, Tony Bennett, Bill Self, Chris Mack, Roy Williams, Jay Wright or Mark Few. None of them make over $4.2 million a year. One of them might just take it. Now I don't believe for a minute any of them would, but is Rick Barnes really worth that much? For $5 mil, I want some Final Fours and National Champions.

Preach my brother.

Martin had a developed program when he walked into the door. Pearl left him some talent. Barnes had to build from the bottom up. There is no comparison. Martin was a very average coach and still is.
The top returning scorer avergaed 3.3. The Martin revisionist history some do here is something else.

Exact same expectations their first year.

Barnes had Punter back who had done more than any of the guys Zo got.

Zo more wins and the postseason every year.

Barnes is better but he in no way came into a worse situation. Pretty comparable.

Barnes made the tournament. Cuonzo didn’t.

But let’s keep making excuses for Cuonzo.

We know you don’t like Barnes.

Took over an 8 win team and made the tourney in year one and that was without the top player in the country missing the entire year 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀

Either way, my main point is you’re overrating Barnes. He’s a good coach but he’s not worth $5M

Just so we are clear, I don't think anyone is expecting you personally to pay the 5 million.

Doubt that he really wants to leave. Cost of living in LA has to be ten times what it is here. I know housing is. They need to pay him the 5 mil or 5 mil with adjusted cost of living and keep him. Hell, we have to win at something.

Reactions: TC 83
Took over an 8 win team and made the tourney in year one and that was without the top player in the country missing the entire year 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀

Either way, my main point is you’re overrating Barnes. He’s a good coach but he’s not worth $5M

And Barnes started out from scratch when he came to Tennessee.

Projected 13th in the SEC, ended up winning SEC Regular Season followed by an NCAA Tournament appearance.

It’s not like Barnes had walked into a great situation after the Tyndall Scandal.

Why is he doing terrible at Missouri then?
He is doing better than the last guy there. He also had a ton of injuries and a starter kicked off the team.

Why did he do better than Barnes the first two years and get further in the tourney in year three at UT if he is so terrible?

Reactions: Big time vol

I don't care what he's "worth." Fact is he's the best we can expect to have at this school, and if $5 mil is what it takes to keep a 31-6 coach around you do it.

Lest we forget:

2018-2019 UT Basketball Team:

1. Did not win the SEC
2. Did not win the SEC tournament
3. Lost in the Sweet 16 (I.E., did not make Elite 8, Final 4 or Championship game)

If he leaves, he leaves. Honor your damn contract and stop interviewing with other teams.

He is doing better than the last guy there. He also had a ton of injuries and a starter kicked off the team.

Why did he do better than Barnes the first two years and get further in the tourney in year three at UT if he is so terrible?
When he snuck into the play in game and went on a run against Iowa/UMass/Mercer? I'll take Barnes' 26-9 SEC title every single day.

VN Store

Back