HBO's True Detective

fellas, this show is on my top 5 list of shows that captured my attention

Sopranos, x files when younger, GOT, early Spartacus, 24...but different from them all. I actually get a little antsy during the show trying to figure out what is about to happen.

Good read here. Will make you more interested, imo.

The One Literary Reference You Must Know to Appreciate
came in here to post the same thing

that article + the comments = brain explosion

I haven't anticipated a show like this in a long time

I feel like this all goes back to the Rev. Tuttle (I think he was in episode 1 or 2) and the so-called 'anti-Christian' task force. Tuttle was the sponsor of the school, and is powerful enough to have some sway (he is the Governor's brother). That said they talked about something bad happening to Tuttle back in early 2000's. Did Chole kill him and been gunning after the others while living off the grid?

Everything points to a cult, but it wouldn't surprise me that it will be something so weird in the in that it doesn't make sense to most people and is debated for years.
I'm leaning towards the bad guys are a cult with ultra rich and powerful involved, including that governor dude the main guys ran into in one of the early episodes.

I feel like this all goes back to the Rev. Tuttle (I think he was in episode 1 or 2) and the so-called 'anti-Christian' task force. Tuttle was the sponsor of the school, and is powerful enough to have some sway (he is the Governor's brother). That said they talked about something bad happening to Tuttle back in early 2000's. Did Chole kill him and been gunning after the others while living off the grid?

Everything points to a cult, but it wouldn't surprise me that it will be something so weird in the in that it doesn't make sense to most people and is debated for years.

^This plus Sparty's link has me wanting to go back and rewatch the first 5 episodes.

So Ledoux isn't the Yellow King it appears. When Cohle and Hart talked to the traveling preacher and his people they said that the prostitute was seen with a tall man with facial scarring right? Which Leduoux wasn't tall and didn't have facial scarring that I can tell?

Has anyone went back to see if the guy running through the field in the gas mask in his underwear was Leduox now that we've seen Leduox and know what he looks like?

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here.

Edit: Looked it up and the guy wearing the gas mask was Leduox. They have the same tattoos.

weird that they would show him in a gas mask carrying a machete as preview for future shows, but that scene from that angle never showed. Then again, could be another aspect of their writing/direction.

Twist? They have been telegraphing this since the first episode.

If that was their intention then I wasn't interpreting it that way. They've spun Cohle as a socially awkward, complex, yet brilliant character but for me personally he's never come across as a "bad guy".

Agreed. I saw it going there, and it's going to be interesting to see where it takes us.

Not buying him as the Yellow King. Cohle has issues and uses drugs but I don't think it goes any further than that.

weird that they would show him in a gas mask carrying a machete as preview for future shows, but that scene from that angle never showed. Then again, could be another aspect of their writing/direction.

x2
Wondered why we saw that scene on a preview and then never saw that scene in the actual show.

This show is so insanely good. I really wish I would've waited until the season was over to watch it so I didn't have a week inbetween each episode.

Reactions: 1 person
I hope they don't end it with the Tuttle guy or the church being the Yellow King.
It seems like the trend with movies and shows now is to take the religious figure and make him the bad guy. That would feel cheap and clichéd, almost like making the butler the killer.

I hope they don't end it with the Tuttle guy or the church being the Yellow King.
It seems like the trend with movies and shows now is to take the religious figure and make him the bad guy. That would feel cheap and clichéd, almost like making the butler the killer.

That is my worry too, but maybe they could do it in a way that doesn't feel that cliche. Also Tuttle could be a red herring. Funny thing I forgot Tuttle existed until the last episode.

Doesn't Cohle say something about the detectives in the current interview possibly being part of the conspiracy? So Cohle still believes there is a conspiracy out there associated with the Yellow King.

After reading about all the Lovecraftian influences on the writer, and him taking things from horror writer Thomas Ligotti's philosophy, it makes me wonder how far down the rabbit hole will we go. That the truth ends up being so hard to handle that it seems not to make sense.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any show or movie that makes the religious guy the bad guy. I know it's happened, but I can't think of any off the top of my head, let alone a trend.

You better get ready for disappointment. All signs seem to point to this being the work of a religious cult.

Yeah, the religion as a negative is probably going to be in this. That church is involved in some way. The preacher made the cross backwards during his sermon. They don't put stuff like that in the show unless it means something.

It's obviously a coverup inside the department and government. All of those missing girls were "false entries" or "errors" or whatever Rust saw in the computer system in 2002.

Also, the officer who took the guy that committed suicide to the phone before he killed himself has the same last name as the sheriff that the police chief mentioned earlier in the season. The one that was erroring out missing girl cases.
Untitled.jpg

At the end of this episode when he's holding the stick figure up and looking at it in the light. The cinematography was so clutch. They zoom out through that broken glass to show the black stars on the glass and the woods painted around the window. Rust was in Carcosa.

I'm still curious about the groundskeeper from the school in episode three. Also, the Tuttle death in 2010 shortly after Rust came back to Louisiana. I'm guessing they'll address the Rust/Tuttle connection in the next episode.

Also, smart/funny of Rust to drink during their interview so that it's inadmissible.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Marty's father in law is in on the scheme (putting the foul children out of their misery) and he is the one that exposed the older daughter to the hardcore stuff she draws/acts out with dolls as a child, then eventually emulates as a teenager.

In the photo at Dora Lang's mother's house, there is a picture of Dora with five guys on a horse.
IMIwrEz.jpg

Marty's daughter depicted a gang rape in which five dolls surrounded one naked girl:
hYLTTUo.png

They say that Tuttle died in 2010.

In 2012, Rust made a point to have four of the five can-men he carved standing, implying one has "fallen."
4ak6MHq.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Rustin Cohle is an anagram for "In Horse Cult"

Marty went hunting with his father in law and shot a ten point buck.

If the father in law is hunting like that for antlers, he must be putting them somewhere...

In the drawings that they found of the daughter's, she drew a man with a mask on touching a girl with her hands tied behind her back. She couldn't have thought of this on her own.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back