HBO's True Detective

Season 1 is a masterpiece. I doubt they will ever come close to repeating

Season 1 is a masterpiece. I doubt they will ever come close to repeating

I am so conflicted about season 1. The ride was amazing but it turned out we were on a much different track than anybody thought, and that was very disappointing.

I am so conflicted about season 1. The ride was amazing but it turned out we were on a much different track than anybody thought, and that was very disappointing.

I assuming that you are referring to the show turning into a "monster story" toward the end?

I assuming that you are referring to the show turning into a "monster story" toward the end?

Yeah, it just seemed like this show with a really smart conspiracy angle and there was all this symbology that was going to be meaningful in some way...nope, just turned out to be some incestuous, toothless hillbilly and then MM had a spiritual moment. The end.

I think most great shows endings fail to live up to their body of work. Seinfeld, The Sopranos for example. The ending wasn't what I wanted,but I still believe it's one of the best things I've ever watched. The acting and writing were outstanding, and what Bignewt said about Alexandra DDaddario.

Last edited:
Yeah, it just seemed like this show with a really smart conspiracy angle and there was all this symbology that was going to be meaningful in some way...nope, just turned out to be some incestuous, toothless hillbilly and then MM had a spiritual moment. The end.

I need to rewatch season 1. I was thinking about it the other day and I couldn't remember what ever became of all that crazy imagery..then I remembered what you said..toothless hillbillies running amok.

I think most great shows endings fail to live up to their body of work. Seinfeld, The Sopranos for example. The ending wasn't what I wanted,but I still believe it's one of the best things I've ever watched. The acting and writing were outstanding, and what Bignewt said about Alexandra DDaddario.

I honestly don't have a problem with the ending to the Sopranos. The Sopranos was all about the ride. There was no mystery to uncover. True Detective was both a ride and a mystery and the mystery completely flopped and I think they had opportunity to write a much better ending. I see the Sopranos as sort of being backed into a corner. The Sopranos ending:

though being anti-climactic, it was perfect in the sense that it fits what the ride was all about. This business is chaos and you always have to be looking over your shoulder. I look at it from the writers' perspective and try to come up with a climactic ending that would make people happy and fit the show and I can't think of one. Tony can't really have a happy ending because he's a POS, but none of us want to see him die, either.

I certainly appreciate this viewpoint, as I was also let down as all the mystery seemed to dissolve into something uninteresting. However after a while I came to believe the let down was intentional. Rusty gave a speech towards the end about never really catching the bad guys, the real monsters. I think the implication is that there actually was some shady, conspiracy involved but in the end, the only managed to stop one delusional psycho, and all the other potential folks involved are never caught. It's mirroring how in real life, the wealthy, well connected offenders will get away with their heinous crimes a lot of the time due to their status.

Overall it made for an ending that left you feeling empty, unfulfilled, disappointed, wondering what all the effort was even for? Why did I dedicate so much thought into solving this mystery and dissecting every episode for every little clue if this is what it comes to in the end? I can imagine many detectives and families of victims often feel the same exact way in case like these. I think.. that is what they were going for.

Now, that doesn't mean I still wasn't super down on the finale initially just like everyone else. But I do think with that in mind, in retrospect, I can respect why they went that route if in fact that was the intention.

Reactions: 1 person
I certainly appreciate this viewpoint, as I was also let down as all the mystery seemed to dissolve into something uninteresting. However after a while I came to believe the let down was intentional. Rusty gave a speech towards the end about never really catching the bad guys, the real monsters. I think the implication is that there actually was some shady, conspiracy involved but in the end, the only managed to stop one delusional psycho, and all the other potential folks involved are never caught. It's mirroring how in real life, the wealthy, well connected offenders will get away with their heinous crimes a lot of the time due to their status.

Overall it made for an ending that left you feeling empty, unfulfilled, disappointed, wondering what all the effort was even for? Why did I dedicate so much thought into solving this mystery and dissecting every episode for every little clue if this is what it comes to in the end? I can imagine many detectives and families of victims often feel the same exact way in case like these. I think.. that is what they were going for.

Now, that doesn't mean I still wasn't super down on the finale initially just like everyone else. But I do think with that in mind, in retrospect, I can respect why they went that route if in fact that was the intention.
This is how I saw it also, but I guess for some reason the ending was almost exactly what I expected, so it didn't let me down. I got it, so I enjoyed it.

They need to take their time to capture the feel/vibe of season 1. Not saying the plot or setting should be the same, but the nuances of the characters and storytelling of season 1 were what made it so great. They were sorely missed in season 2; which felt like it was written and directed by an entirely different crew.

Reactions: 2 people
They need to take their time to capture the feel/vibe of season 1. Not saying the plot or setting should be the same, but the nuances of the characters and storytelling of season 1 were what made it so great. They were sorely missed in season 2; which felt like it was written and directed by an entirely different crew.

I agree. You don't have to have Mcconaughey or Harrelson to make it good. Honestly, you'd probably have to try really hard to make it suck more than season 2 at this point.

I agree. You don't have to have Mcconaughey or Harrelson to make it good. Honestly, you'd probably have to try really hard to make it suck more than season 2 at this point.

I could not finish season 2... Think I made it 3 episodes.

there was one great shootout in season 2 and Vaughan was also great in his role...the only redeeming qualities.

“You are like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a *****.” Marty season 1. One of the great lines that season.

Reactions: 2 people
“You are like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a *****.” Marty season 1. One of the great lines that season.

Agreed. And there are very few actors who could have pulled that line off as good as woody
https://youtu.be/xKf8FBWZi2g

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back