HBO's "Game of Thrones"

No one is hoping for major characters to die pointlessly. At least I don't think so. I just want better, more consistent storytelling, which is what GoT has been known for. I have no problem with the white hats winning, but I do think a threat that has been hyped since the first season deserved more than a one episode battle to dispose of. Was I entertained? Yes. Do I think it could have been better? Absolutely. Whether you agree or not, I felt like they short-changed the story a bit.
Yes..they are, they want to be "shocked"...at this point, a decent human not being killed off is "shocking".

Deceive people? No.

Somehow being able to grow or shrink your arms or legs immediately just by putting on a dead persons face? Yea kinda. It's not like it ruins the show, but it's a low point of the series. One can be a fan but still have something that makes them go "I don't know about that one."
From what I understand, from all I've read...there is some type of magic involved in what the Faceless Men do. It is a kind of magical camoflage like what Mel had. That is not hinted at near as much in the show.

Reactions: RikidyBones
This is so stupid, she trained for years at the hands of the Faceless men, the most skilled and feared assassins in the world. You guys just wanna bitch. She is no Rey, who just picked up a light saber and started kicking ass.
Years? I don't think she trained with them for years in the tv show. I think she was in Braavos somewhere around 1.5 years total maybe.

they are using a deities blessing and magic to do it iirc
I'd have to go re-read the books to remember how everything was explained, but in the show they just skip over all that. She takes a face without permission, had no training on how to actually use it, but could become whoever that person was. Doesn't sound like one needs much training to become someone else physically in the tv show at least.

This is so stupid, she trained for years at the hands of the Faceless men, the most skilled and feared assassins in the world. You guys just wanna bitch. She is no Rey, who just picked up a light saber and started kicking ass.
Yeah, I didn't have much problem thinking that a naturally talented and very young girl got trained by the best teachers in the world and became one of the greatest. I mean, we are posting this in the sports forum-- it happens.

She also trained in Kingslanding so she has trained in Winterfell, on a mild level but knew how to fire a bow very well, where she also grew up, King Landing with a well known teacher from Essos, survived as a captive orphan type, trained in Braavos with the faceless men by being blind and facing the waif WHILE BLIND and eventually bested the waif, has shown she can masterfully disguise herself in the ways of the faceless men. She can sneak up on clown nk who isnt even aware of Braavos or the faceless men

Yeah, I didn't have much problem thinking that a naturally talented and very young girl got trained by the best teachers in the world and became one of the greatest. I mean, we are posting this in the sports forum-- it happens.

Not to go down the rabbit hole, but Hollywood has gone out of their way as of late to promote the Mary Sue culture. However, in this case, I don't think GoT is really the vehicle for promoting such an agenda since their villains and heroes have been fairly equally distributed across the sexes. Nor do I think that was the director's/producer's intent.

Arya killing the NK was something unexpected by most. Many presumed there would be a colossal battle between Jon Snow and the NK. However, little Arya who we grew up with watching her chase cats in season 1 and becoming a powerful member of her house? Yeah, that made a nice surprise. Girl or not, she is a good representation of the resiliency of House Stark.

Not to go down the rabbit hole, but Hollywood has gone out of their way as of late to promote the Mary Sue culture. However, in this case, I don't think GoT is really the vehicle for promoting such an agenda since their villains and heroes have been fairly equally distributed across the sexes. Nor do I think that was the director's/producer's intent.

Arya killing the NK was something unexpected by most. Many presumed there would be a colossal battle between Jon Snow and the NK. However, little Arya who we grew up with watching her chase cats in season 1 and becoming a powerful member of her house? Yeah, that made a nice surprise. Girl or not, she is a good representation of the resiliency of House Stark.
it wasn't. they did, however, tap Arya out to be the one to kill the NK in season 3. they talked about that decision on the "inside the episode"....so for like 5 years, they knew she was going to be the one to do it. so all the foreshadowing was on purpose.

i don't think there was any intent to purposefully make it a woman. but this show is very heavy on the powerful women angle.....Cerci, Danaryis, Sansa, Arya......

the intent, as they described it, was really just that how that story ended shouldn't be what was expected, a la Jon vs the NK. and the story arc for ayra was leading to this moment.

reading between the lines....i now think she's definitely going to die now.....lol.

She's a complete Mary Sue that has no real flaws. She's the best at everything and speaks in one line cliches. I think I soured on her character when she bested Brienne (one of the best warriors in westoros) in single combat.

I still like the show though.
eh, i've always thought Ayra's biggest advantage was that she went unnoticed and underestimated. she's a little bad azz.

she'd always WANTED to be that....but didn't know how to be that. even when she was taking her dancing lessons in KL, you could see the light turn on....but she "got hard" when she was on the road with The HOund. she got ruthless when she got to bravos. by the time she got back to Westeros, think about what she had done up to that point...she killed the Kings Guard commander on her list...she killed her nemesis in bravos while blind.....so what's she do when she gets back to Westeros? takes out the entire house frey......

yeah...nobody sees her coming...they hadn't the entire story....Brienne definitley didn't see her coming, even in that sparring session.....she dismissed Arya just like everyone else did before her.

and if iirc, that sparring session ended in a tie? right?

The Dothraki are modeled after the Mongols who were famous for their feint retreats. The Dothraki are also known for fleeing from battle. They were supposed to put a dent in the first line of wights, retreat, and funnel them in so the much smaller army of the living could surround them. Nobody was expecting a literal tidal wave 10ft+ high of wights tumbling at them. The battle plans were immediately thrown out the window when the best cavalry in the world ran straight into a meat grinder.

I don't think there was any intent to purposefully make it a woman. but this show is very heavy on the powerful women angle.....Cerci, Danaryis, Sansa, Arya......

Historically, there have been powerful women shape the history of nations and the world for a long time. It's not a novel concept for them to be portrayed as legitimate influences on both the "white hat" and "black hat" side of things.

People complaining about the alleged "Mary Sue" angle tend to forget this is the same person who killed off the entire Frey clan and had no hesitation in slitting Littlefinger's throat. Not that they certainly didn't have it coming to them...

Historically, there have been powerful women shape the history of nations and the world for a long time. It's not a novel concept for them to be portrayed as legitimate influences on both the "white hat" and "black hat" side of things.

People complaining about the alleged "Mary Sue" angle tend to forget this is the same person who killed off the entire Frey clan and had no hesitation in slitting Littlefinger's throat. Not that they certainly didn't have it coming to them...
agreed.

but most of the powerful men in the series are dead, in large part because they were stupid....lol.

The Dothraki are modeled after the Mongols who were famous for their feint retreats. The Dothraki are also known for fleeing from battle. They were supposed to put a dent in the first line of wights, retreat, and funnel them in so the much smaller army of the living could surround them. Nobody was expecting a literal tidal wave 10ft+ high of wights tumbling at them. The battle plans were immediately thrown out the window when the best cavalry in the world ran straight into a meat grinder.

I don't recall a Mary Sue memorizing a list of people she was going to off.

Brienne? Mary Sue to the core, but not a leading character in the series. Arya? Just not seeing it.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Also, the library scene was maybe my favorite part. Arya had just been concussed. She was trying to regain her composure. I love how they gave us a glimpse of Arya’s stealthiness. She identified the location of many of the wights off of her heightened hearing alone. Echos back to when she was training as a blind girl. Really cool scene imo.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the Mary Sue terminology, but I still think she is OP. Some, I feel are painting it as if I said I don't like her because she's a girl. I think it's fine that she killed the night king, although it seems like Jon should've at least had a showdown with him even if he lost.

Reactions: JP_UT_O&W
The whole arguement in general. If one has to revert to "the directors are just being PC!" as their argument against Arya killing the NK, they have no argument.
Yeah...I hate that forced agenda crap in other shows. It is so obvious that it takes away from stories when they do it, I really have never felt GoT has done that in the books or show. The Wheel of Time also has a ton of strong female characters, but that is just a component of the story for a very particular reason, not a forced SJW agenda.

Reactions: Smokeytom
Maybe I shouldn't have used the Mary Sue terminology, but I still think she is OP. Some, I feel are painting it as if I said I don't like her because she's a girl. I think it's fine that she killed the night king, although it seems like Jon should've at least had a showdown with him even if he lost.
The NK obviously saw Jon as the real threat since he was beaten before in ancient history by a similar strong male character, he was having no part of it this time. He put his army of wights and his dragon specifically in Jons way. It had to be somebody else, and Arya was the only one with the specialized training to do it.

VN Store

Back