Haslam's Influence

that would be Charlie Anderson and he was the key to getting Pruitt hired.
Yeah, for some reason I guess I was thinking of the country singer. Charlie Anderson.
Jimmy was with Curry when they got him to agree to an MOU.
I bet he was, but that doesn't necessarily mean Haslam hand-picked Currie. I'm sure he approved of his hiring, but he might have been one of a bunch of people Haslam would have been OK with.

I think Jimmy made a side deal with the government regarding that whole rebate fiasco. He was fully aware and involved in what was going on.
You will never convince me that he had no idea of what was going on. He is either a complete idiot (if he somehow didn't know) or a crook. No middle ground.

Who said they "hate" the Haslams? Jim Sr. has accomplished a lot in life and deserves respect for that.

Jimmy on the other hand is a male Chelsea Clinton, someone who thinks they're absolutely brilliant but totally unaware their position in this world is solely based on their parents standing.

However, Chelsea appears to be more honest than Jimmy as she didn't head a corporation involved in massive fraud. Hard to be more crooked than a Clinton but Jimmy has pulled that off.

Chelsea is affiliated with Clover and they have their own major legal issues..

Reactions: JohnnyJava
Yeah, for some reason I guess I was thinking of the country singer. Charlie Anderson.

I bet he was, but that doesn't necessarily mean Haslam hand-picked Currie. I'm sure he approved of his hiring, but he might have been one of a bunch of people Haslam would have been OK with.

here is my issue with your logic, IMO...

the administration has been more than willing to let the boosters drive personal decisions ever since Johnson stepped down as President. Those that followed Johnson cared much more about the academic side and were more than willing to let boosters (many that follow and listen to Haslam's) lead the decisions on coaches and ADs. Its worked that way a long time and I'm interested to see if the current regime follows that working or are more involved. They seem to be more involved but I really question their handling of this whole violation process.

you aren't the first I've disagreed with and won't be the last. Respect your opinion.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Jimmy Haslam also called a state senator and told her he ran the show at UT when he became furious that Schiano wasn’t hired. His brother who was governor at the time had to lie and cover for him stating that Jimmy had no involvement with UT. They’re a crooked bunch.

Well I certainly think Schiano would have done a better job than the white trash redneck from Bammer. And no I dont hold him it against him that he has 1 unproven allegation against him at PSU.

I think Jimmy made a side deal with the government regarding that whole rebate fiasco. He was fully aware and involved in what was going on.
Yes he knew about it. An employee told me he was all in. Jimmy knows how much they spend on toilet paper at the home office the employee told me he knew about this too

My friend did 8 months in prison over it

Reactions: davethevol
I'll just put my 2 cents in; after Fulmer was fired and the "coaching search" was going on, the elder Haslam played golf with a potential coach. This was a good 2 weeks before the new coach was announced. Of all people to tell me this person was going to be hired, it was my father-in-law, who apparently has/had a few connections at the time. Of all the coaches who were considered, the one hired had so much less experience as to make one wonder why he got the job. Oh, that coach was Lane Kiffin. So yeah, it would seem the Haslam's have or at least had a lot of influence in coaching decisions that were made.

Jimmy knows how much they spend on toilet paper at the home office

Precisely why Warren Buffett bought Pilot. Competent management always knows.

It appears there was little motivation for anyone to give direct corroborating evidence against Jimmy.

I’m sorry about your friend.

Yes he knew about it. An employee told me he was all in. Jimmy knows how much they spend on toilet paper at the home office the employee told me he knew about this too

It has to make you wonder how Jimmy skated on this. Are those that got prison time getting jobs with him when they get out, or are they scared of him.

I'll just put my 2 cents in; after Fulmer was fired and the "coaching search" was going on, the elder Haslam played golf with a potential coach. This was a good 2 weeks before the new coach was announced. Of all people to tell me this person was going to be hired, it was my father-in-law, who apparently has/had a few connections at the time. Of all the coaches who were considered, the one hired had so much less experience as to make one wonder why he got the job. Oh, that coach was Lane Kiffin. So yeah, it would seem the Haslam's have or at least had a lot of influence in coaching decisions that were made.
And THAT one decision placed our slide towards mediocrity (that certainly began under Fulmer) on Warp Speed. There were MUCH better head coaching candidates available to the program at that point than today. And that has been FAR from their last personnel decision at UT.
So YES the Haslams have contributed greatly towards the university’s financial needs and to its descent into the wasteland on the gridiron.
My guess is that Danny White will make his own personnel hires, period, and I’m much more comfortable with him doing so than the Haslams.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa
It has to make you wonder how Jimmy skated on this. Are those that got prison time getting jobs with him when they get out, or are they scared of him.
Plausible deniability, although it is amazing that that the "Sounds like Stick's deal with Western" line wasn't enough to get him charged.

Precisely why Warren Buffett bought Pilot. Competent management always knows.

It appears there was little motivation for anyone to give direct corroborating evidence against Jimmy.

I’m sorry about your friend.

And you think we, the consumer, are better off with Warren Buffett?

IMO: Warren Buffett used the government to take control of Pilot Oil. You can't convince me the government gives 2 hoots about some poor guy with 1 truck that didn't get his discount. They want him gone anyhow. There were some big dollars exchanged with politicians to make that flap happen IMO. A few middle management people got the short end of the stick and I hate that for them.

I know this, prior to the Warren Buffett purchase of Pilot Oil our Kentucky Governor used to regularly file charges against them for price gouging. Right now here Pilot is 35 Cents a gallon higher on diesel than the other stations and not 1 word said about the new Democrat owner.

And you think we, the consumer, are better off with Warren Buffett?

IMO: Warren Buffett used the government to take control of Pilot Oil. You can't convince me the government gives 2 hoots about some poor guy with 1 truck that didn't get his discount. They want him gone anyhow. There were some big dollars exchanged with politicians to make that flap happen IMO. A few middle management people got the short end of the stick and I hate that for them.

I know this, prior to the Warren Buffett purchase of Pilot Oil our Kentucky Governor used to regularly file charges against them for price gouging. Right now here Pilot is 35 Cents a gallon higher on diesel than the other stations and not 1 word said about the new Democrat owner.

Dude, get an F-150 Lightning.

I don’t think Warren Buffett gives one crap about your politics, or those of the Haslams, or the Claytons, or See’s Candy, or the Board of Coca Cola or Costco. Hell, one of the Haslams was the Republican Governor of Tennessee when the purchase was made.

I think Buffett does care that those companies are all managed efficiently and making money, which is why BH invested with them in the first place, and why they remain invested.

Did BH take advantage of the bad publicity in the Haywood case to get a good deal on Pilot stock? I’d bet my last dollar that they did. It probably motivated the Haslams, even though they had settled the corporate and civil claims several years before to the tune of ~$200 million. But, that’s business. I wish I could recognize and capitalize on opportunity so well.

Additionally, I do think that the US Attorney’s Office does investigate allegations of price fixing - even through the use of discounts - when they are widespread and reported by multiple sources. That wasn’t one guy with a truck in this case, it was $56 million bucks worth of pricing fraud over many years and customers. 14 - FOURTEEN!! - employees pled guilty to criminal charges and three were convicted by an East Tennessee jury - not just Knoxville hipsters.

I’ll put my faith in a jury’s funding to recognize when a crime’s been committed and needs punishment. Hell, trusting each other is the bedrock of our constitution.

VN Store

Back