Haslam's Influence

volsknx

The only people who dislike winners are losers!
I have read many posts relating to the Haslam family influence. I have been at games where members of the family have been recognized for their donations. Evidently, I don't have the ability to see some of the dots you guys do so, I am wondering if the influence is pure conjecture? A couple of years ago when one of the brothers was governor, he actually defended his family and said that they have/had nothing to do with what was transpiring on the hill with Curry, Davenport, Dipietro and then Fulmer weaseling his way back in and, all that mess that was transpiring and had transpired.

Were/are they really influencing Dipietro and others to make decisions they wanted or were they actually the scape goat for all our troubles? The last "proof" of influential booster involvement in the football program that I am aware of was the KNS publishing Fulmers phone calls with a booster and that was almost thirty years ago.

There are so many conspiracy theories involving them that have been rampant on this board. I've read some say they were for Fulmer being AD and some say Fulmer being AD was a thumb up to them. Have read where they were the ones that installed Curry (for whatever reason) and when Davenport fired him, they had Dipietro fire her. Then, I've read on here where the other boosters have turned on them.

I am genuinely curious as to how much power they possess. Are they as powerful as Crowder was down at Auburn?

I certainly think they have influence. Are they the reason UT has sucked for over a decade? I don't think so. IMO, when things aren't going well, fans need a scapegoat. It's easier to blame something or someone other than the root issue(s) of the problem.

Last edited:
I have read many posts relating to the Haslam family influence. I have been at games where members of the family have been recognized for their donations. Evidently, I don't have the ability to see some of the dots you guys do so, I am wondering if the influence is pure conjecture? A couple of years ago when one of the brothers was governor, he actually defended his family and said that they have/had nothing to do with what was transpiring on the hill with Curry, Davenport, Dipietro and then Fulmer weaseling his way back in and, all that mess that was transpiring and had transpired.

Were/are they really influencing Dipietro and others to make decisions they wanted or were they actually the scape goat for all our troubles? The last "proof" of influential booster involvement in the football program that I am aware of was the KNS publishing Fulmers phone calls with a booster and that was almost thirty years ago.

There are so many conspiracy theories involving them that have been rampant on this board. I've read some say they were for Fulmer being AD and some say Fulmer being AD was a thumb up to them. Have read where they were the ones that installed Curry (for whatever reason) and when Davenport fired him, they had Dipietro fire her. Then, I've read on here where the other boosters have turned on them.

I am genuinely curious as to how much power they possess. Are they as powerful as Crowder was down at Auburn?

You're not going to get factual proof on their involvement. No one has that but the participants if that is what you're after. Participants are not and have never been just the one on one participants but there are others in the room or also participating.

Fulmer was not let go as coach in 2008 without J Haslam approval. AD would not have made the move without it. Could not. and was warned his moves better work or he would not remain around. We know how that turned out.

J Haslam was on trip to interview Dooley when he was interviewed. Hamilton was returning to interview Kippy Brown when he got a call from J Haslam to not do interview, that Dooley was the one.

J Haslam Jr was on trip with Curry to hire Schiano and okayed it. A famous Tennessee quarterback was also in favor of Schiano as he has been aligned with the Haslam's since his time on campus.

3 examples of their influence from sources involved.

Not sure why you should believe it since you have already stated they are theories.

It's Bobby Lowder, and the Haslams could buy the whole cesspool that is Alabama.

You're not going to get factual proof on their involvement. No one has that but the participants if that is what you're after. Participants are not and have never been just the one on one participants but there are others in the room or also participating.

Fulmer was not let go as coach in 2008 without J Haslam approval. AD would not have made the move without it. Could not. and was warned his moves better work or he would not remain around. We know how that turned out.

J Haslam was on trip to interview Dooley when he was interviewed. Hamilton was returning to interview Kippy Brown when he got a call from J Haslam to not do interview, that Dooley was the one.

J Haslam Jr was on trip with Curry to hire Schiano and okayed it. A famous Tennessee quarterback was also in favor of Schiano as he has been aligned with the Haslam's since his time on campus.

Not sure why you should believe it since you have already stated they are theories.

I want to know who was behind hiring a bean counter from Klempson as AD in 03 when we could have hired virtually anybody already an AD. Hamilton did more damage to our program than any other person(with the possible exception of Fulmer)

Jimmy Haslam also called a state senator and told her he ran the show at UT when he became furious that Schiano wasn’t hired. His brother who was governor at the time had to lie and cover for him stating that Jimmy had no involvement with UT. They’re a crooked bunch.

I'm here for this content

Last edited:
Seriously, I don't understand the Haslam hate around here. Big Jim is a VFL for sure and the family has invested way more time and resources than a lot of folks here on the forum. The family has been successful and one of the top if not "the" top contributor to all things Vol sports. Their company has brought untold jobs and revenue to this area. Too many times folks are just jealous of success. I for one am very glad for folks like the Haslams and Claytons etc for the support they have provided for the Vol programs. Take their contributions away and see how far things deteriorate. I know some of you may say how much worse could they get. The answer a whole lot worse. The program needs money to operate and the ticket sales are not near enough to keep the program running and also provide still some of the top tier facilities in the country. I would like to see more appreciation for the Haslams and other contributors rather than always negatives. They are our own, like it or not. I'm glad they are.

Seriously, I don't understand the Haslam hate around here. Big Jim is a VFL for sure and the family has invested way more time and resources than a lot of folks here on the forum. The family has been successful and one of the top if not "the" top contributor to all things Vol sports. Their company has brought untold jobs and revenue to this area. Too many times folks are just jealous of success. I for one am very glad for folks like the Haslams and Claytons etc for the support they have provided for the Vol programs. Take their contributions away and see how far things deteriorate. I know some of you may say how much worse could they get. The answer a whole lot worse. The program needs money to operate and the ticket sales are not near enough to keep the program running and also provide still some of the top tier facilities in the country. I would like to see more appreciation for the Haslams and other contributors rather than always negatives. They are our own, like it or not. I'm glad they are.

I'll point to a local example here in Memphis. Fred Smith is a big supporter of Memphis Tigers. He writes the biggest check in town. He's created thousands of jobs. He loves the University of Memphis. Sounds similar, right? One difference - Fred Smith lets the A.D. do his job and hire coaches.

Seriously, I don't understand the Haslam hate around here. Big Jim is a VFL for sure and the family has invested way more time and resources than a lot of folks here on the forum.
Who said they "hate" the Haslams? Jim Sr. has accomplished a lot in life and deserves respect for that.

Jimmy on the other hand is a male Chelsea Clinton, someone who thinks they're absolutely brilliant but totally unaware their position in this world is solely based on their parents standing.

However, Chelsea appears to be more honest than Jimmy as she didn't head a corporation involved in massive fraud. Hard to be more crooked than a Clinton but Jimmy has pulled that off.

You don’t understand because you’ve never worked with them

Nobody on the outside is going to be able to show just how closely they are involved. There is just a lot of reading between the lines and dot connecting. In fact, the speculation has been that since Jimmy bought the Browns in 2012, he actually hasn't been as involved with UT as he was in the past. Their last name is seemingly on every other building on UT's campus...clearly they have influence at some level, but beyond that it is up for anybody to speculate.

I will say that as @davethevol mentioned, it is really interesting that a man as busy and wealthy as Jimmy Haslam took the time to personally call Diane Black, then a member of the US House and Tennessee governor candidate, and allegedly told her to knock it off about her criticism of the Schiano hire. We also know that Jimmy really wanted to hire Schiano to be the coach of the Browns but was eventually talked out of it by his #2 man at the time, Joe Banner, which led to a big rift between him and Banner. Personally, I think he is quite involved, although not on a day-to-day basis where he gives people specific directions on what to do. He has obvious influence via the money he donates to the university, and he is good about speaking to the right people to make sure they know his general opinion on various things.

I guess my point is that there is never going to be direct proof of their involvement in anything. And there is another faction of boosters led by John Anderson (joined by Allan Jones, Thunder Thornton, perhaps others) that also could be heavily involved at a detailed level, and are/were incredibly loyal to Fulmer.

The college of business is named after this family. They have deep deep roots at the university. One of them was the governor of the state. They donated 50 million for building construction in one year alone. Although donor information is kept private in Tennessee, it's not unreasonable to think that the Haslam family is probably the largest donor to the university.

Needless to say, you don't just give that much money to an institution without some level of say or control. While these donations are technically considered "charity" the reality is they are seen by the donors as "investments" and any good investor will want as much control or influence over their investment as possible.

Money is power no matter where you go. Does that mean every single decision has to be approved by them? Probably not. Do they get to be involved and have their voice heard? You better bet they do.

The college of business is named after this family. They have deep deep roots at the university. They donated 50 million for building construction in one year alone. Although donor information is kept private in Tennessee, it's not unreasonable to think that the Haslam family is probably the largest donor to the university.

Needless to say, you don't just give that much money to an institution without some level of say or control. While these donations are technically considered "charity" the reality is they are seen by the donors as "investments" and any good investor will want as much control or influence over their investment as possible.

Money is power no matter where you go. Does that mean every single decision has to be approved by them? Probably not. Do they get to be involved and have their voice heard? You better bet they do.
This 100%.

The best way I know how to put it is that the Haslams donate incredible amounts of money to the university, which gives them power and influence (assuming they want it, and I think from their disposition that they do). The people who run the university are aware of the Haslams's views on various things, which in turn impacts the decisions they make.

I don't think Jimmy gets involved at the level of "Hey, go hire this guy to be the football coach" but I guarantee you that when it comes time to hire a football coach, they are aware of what type of coach Jimmy (and other powerful boosters, he isn't the only one) would approve of, and they orient their search from the get-go to land a type of coach they think big donors would approve of. That isn't even a conspiracy...it's just common sense and how organizations that have benefactors are run.

Reactions: MWAVolfan
Nobody on the outside is going to be able to show just how closely they are involved. There is just a lot of reading between the lines and dot connecting. In fact, the speculation has been that since Jimmy bought the Browns in 2012, he actually hasn't been as involved with UT as he was in the past. Their last name is seemingly on every other building on UT's campus...clearly they have influence at some level, but beyond that it is up for anybody to speculate.

I will say that as @davethevol mentioned, it is really interesting that a man as busy and wealthy as Jimmy Haslam took the time to personally call Diane Black, then a member of the US House and Tennessee governor candidate, and allegedly told her to knock it off about her criticism of the Schiano hire. We also know that Jimmy really wanted to hire Schiano to be the coach of the Browns but was eventually talked out of it by his #2 man at the time, Joe Banner, which led to a big rift between him and Banner. Personally, I think he is quite involved, although not on a day-to-day basis where he gives people specific directions on what to do. He has obvious influence via the money he donates to the university, and he is good about speaking to the right people to make sure they know his general opinion on various things.

I guess my point is that there is never going to be direct proof of their involvement in anything. And there is another faction of boosters led by John Anderson (joined by Allan Jones, Thunder Thornton, perhaps others) that also could be heavily involved at a detailed level, and are/were incredibly loyal to Fulmer.
To the point they destroyed the program by putting an incompetent AD in charge.

To the point they destroyed the program by putting an incompetent AD in charge.
The question is to what degree did they put Hamilton in charge. Did Haslam sit a Chancellor/President down and say "Hey, you're hiring Hamilton?" I kind of doubt it. Was Hamilton one of a number of people that they thought Haslam and others boosters would like? I'm sure he was.

What I think Haslam and other boosters do is orient the athletic department/administration in a certain general direction, but specific details like who gets hired/fired are determined by people in official positions.

It's all about the Benjamin's... He's the biggest donor if I remember correctly. He threatens to pull the money but you won't ever see or hear of that publicly. It's hard to pay for buyouts and hire when the money that you do it with is controlled by the donors, in which college football is.

My respect went way up for the Haslams when I learned about the Crew.
The former owners of the Columbus Crew soccer team were all set to move the team to Austin Texas.
Not only did he buy them, keep them in Columbus, they are the current reigning Champions and just opened a new state of the art stadium.

that would be Charlie Anderson and he was the key to getting Pruitt hired.

Reactions: Samthebam
This 100%.

The best way I know how to put it is that the Haslams donate incredible amounts of money to the university, which gives them power and influence (assuming they want it, and I think from their disposition that they do). The people who run the university are aware of the Haslams's views on various things, which in turn impacts the decisions they make.

I don't think Jimmy gets involved at the level of "Hey, go hire this guy to be the football coach" but I guarantee you that when it comes time to hire a football coach, they are aware of what type of coach Jimmy (and other powerful boosters, he isn't the only one) would approve of, and they orient their search from the get-go to land a type of coach they think big donors would approve of. That isn't even a conspiracy...it's just common sense and how organizations that have benefactors are run.

Jimmy was with Curry when they got him to agree to an MOU.

VN Store

Back