Has our recruiting strategy shifted?

If it's all a crapshoot, then why do they even bother?

It isn't. The ratings of Rivals and Scout simply aren't the sole or final authority on who UT should sign or whether they are any good or not.

How does Rivals rank players VH? They use measurables, highlight films done by people marketing the player, consider who is recruiting him, consider the competitive reputation of where he plays, etc... right?

Do you really, really think they have the time and staff to accurately and thoroughly evaluate all of the approximately 2500-3000 recruits that will sign with the 130 or so FBS schools this year much less those that completely slip through the cracks to a FCS school?

Of course not. But I do think that 99% of the elite talent is properly identified by the services. This isn't like the days of old when the ball coach goes into some heretofore unknown holler and discovers a clan of All Americans.

VH, you are aware that Rivals arbitrarily limits themselves to a certain % of 4* and 5*, right? That's basically an admission that they can't maintain objectivity year over year...

VH, you are aware that Rivals arbitrarily limits themselves to a certain % of 4* and 5*, right? That's basically an admission that they can't maintain objectivity year over year...
Yes and I have no problem with it. They do adjust the number of 4 and 5 star prospects allowed each year in an attempt to fit the overall talent of the class.

What if they allow too few all the time? Too many?

It is already a problem with their claim to be objective to set an arbitrary limit... Do you really want to put THAT MUCH into whether they say a kid is one of the 10% or whatever of 4* they award? What if he should have been but one of the other guys was overrated?

I have said in multiple posts in the past week that I think 3* is a high rating. I do not think you accept verbals from prospects who are rated any lower than 3* this early in the process unless it is either a dire position of need or your staff is 100% dead on certain that either the guy is a dead-on, can't miss or they cannot get anyone better.

Neutral question- do you think any of the current signees will be less than 3*? I honestly don't. On measurables alone, Schofield and Phillips should get 3*.

I don't think 3* is all that high of a rating and IMO it gets lower in real terms the more the recruiting svcs see of a kid and leave him at a 5.6/5.5 three star. The ones they've seen and liked will go up to 5.7 so they can say... "We almost had him a 4 star prospect"... ie. Poole, Johnson, Wilks.

UT seems a long way from dependence on 1* or 2* players.

For context, I think a 3* rating is high when compared to the entire panalopy of kids coming out of high school who are trying to play college ball at any level whether on scholarship or not.

Say I've bought into the marketing strategy of the services, but I'd rather be reading articles about how the Vols staff is fluffing some 5* prospect's laundry during an in-home visit than read about how they are winning the trench battles against Charleston Southern, Gardner Webb and New Mexico.

Im gonna say that their new strategy is in-home talent deductions instead of recruiting service talent deductions....

Just my guess tho

Is it me or does every recruit thread turn into "why are we recruiting these players"?

as if any of us are more enlightened than the actual people watching hours of film, talking to, and getting to know these kids.

for a living, I might add.

as if any of us are more enlightened than the actual people watching hours of film, talking to, and getting to know these kids.

i hope you are referring to coaches and not recruiting services.
Cause coaches do it for a living and recruiting services do it for money.

for a living/money about the same thing, but I was referring to the coaching staff.

for a living/money about the same thing, but I was referring to the coaching staff.

about the same difference as a 5th grade teacher and a textbook distributing company lol.
glad were thinking the same.

and I suppose that any of us who are not D1A coaches should never question 9 years without a conference championship because we just don't appreciate the nuances of collge football? Nice try, Phillip.

Moreover, given the amount of egotism and "me-centered" culture that the recruiting process now generates - which is often very detrimental to the team sport mentality - I don't blame them one bit for putting more focus on character and guys who just flat out bust their butts.

I've been criticized for this in the past, but I'm really starting to believe that a team of "good" hard working athletes who are consummate team players might beat a team of "great" prima dona athletes who aren't as dedicated to the team more often than not.

Look at VaTech and Auburn...you rarely see them at the top of the recruiting rankings but both are always a factor in their conferences...

I hope Clawson isn't thinking these guys are great, because of the skill level he coached at Richmond. I doubt CPF would let that happen, but I am sure Clawson feels like a kid in a candy store with the amount of talent he has seen so far. I just hope he understands that Tennessee has a totally different standard.

We've underachieved with 4*/5* players in the past. I have no problem with these guys taking a chance with 3* players. If they are confident that they can coach them up and get them prepared to play, I'm all for it. What should concern you is the fact that things appear to be quiet concerning DL prospects.

Look at VaTech and Auburn...you rarely see them at the top of the recruiting rankings but both are always a factor in their conferences...

Auburn 2002 team ranking: 6
Auburn 2003 team ranking: 11
Auburn 2004 team ranking: 21
Auburn 2005 team ranking: 13
Auburn 2006 team ranking: 10
Auburn 2007 team ranking: 7
Auburn 2008 team ranking: 20

Yeah, they really don't bring in the talent. 3 top ten classes, 5 top 15 classes, and 7 top 25 classes. Their talent really sucks.

Auburn 2002 team ranking: 6
Auburn 2003 team ranking: 11
Auburn 2004 team ranking: 21
Auburn 2005 team ranking: 13
Auburn 2006 team ranking: 10
Auburn 2007 team ranking: 7
Auburn 2008 team ranking: 20

Yeah, they really don't bring in the talent. 3 top ten classes, 5 top 15 classes, and 7 top 25 classes. Their talent really sucks.

I would take those rankings.

For context, I think a 3* rating is high when compared to the entire panalopy of kids coming out of high school who are trying to play college ball at any level whether on scholarship or not.

Say I've bought into the marketing strategy of the services, but I'd rather be reading articles about how the Vols staff is fluffing some 5* prospect's laundry during an in-home visit than read about how they are winning the trench battles against Charleston Southern, Gardner Webb and New Mexico.

Everybody is making a big deal about us going up against Gardner Webb, New Mexico and teams of the sort. It's a ridiculous argument. All of the kids we recruited that had offers from low level schools also had quite a bit of interest from more prestigious programs. I love the fact that we seem to be ahead of the game and are getting commits from kids when we are still competing with the small schools for them. Why wait until all of the big boys have offered if you like the kid's talent? I can also see all of our current recruits climbing in the rankings based on growth and a solid senior season.

VN Store

Back