Has our recruiting strategy shifted?

General Jack

Vorschlaghammer
Let me first say that I don't follow recruiting nearly as closely as some of the guys on here... but thats not to say I'm out of the loop either.

But are we making more early offers than in the past? For several of these kids we are the first D1, or at least the first big time D1 program that has offered. Are we actively trying to get commitments earlier than in the past?

I'm not looking for an opinion on whether this is good or bad, but it seems like we are being more aggressive early with the offers. I mean we have 9 commitments and their senior year hasn't even started!

Let me first say that I don't follow recruiting nearly as closely as some of the guys on here... but thats not to say I'm out of the loop either.

But are we making more early offers than in the past? For several of these kids we are the first D1, or at least the first big time D1 program that has offered. Are we actively trying to get commitments earlier than in the past?

I'm not looking for an opinion on whether this is good or bad, but it seems like we are being more aggressive early with the offers. I mean we have 9 commitments and their senior year hasn't even started!
I think we are seeing a different strategy. It comes out of neccesity, as more an more kids seem to be commiting early and if you don't get in early you may be out.

I hear you. It seems like we are taking more of a risk on guys who aren't quite as proven, given they still have to play the senior year.

But it does seem to be the direction things are moving. I know here locally Texas gives early take it or leave it offers to lock kids in.

Seems like there will be more recruiting busts the earlier offers are made... but again, its the direction things are headed.

It sure looks like a strategy shift in a few ways. One, they're looking at guys and offering early. Two, whether they ever looked at recruiting svc ratings or not... they sure don't seem to be doing so now. Three, they are emphasizing grades and character more than in the past.

That last point is probably a smart move since teams in the future will be penalized for guys who don't finish school or get the boot.

It sure looks like a strategy shift in a few ways. One, they're looking at guys and offering early. Two, whether they ever looked at recruiting svc ratings or not... they sure don't seem to be doing so now. Three, they are emphasizing grades and character more than in the past.

That last point is probably a smart move since teams in the future will be penalized for guys who don't finish school or get the boot.

Moreover, given the amount of egotism and "me-centered" culture that the recruiting process now generates - which is often very detrimental to the team sport mentality - I don't blame them one bit for putting more focus on character and guys who just flat out bust their butts.

I've been criticized for this in the past, but I'm really starting to believe that a team of "good" hard working athletes who are consummate team players might beat a team of "great" prima dona athletes who aren't as dedicated to the team more often than not.

“Bryce isn’t the type of kid to go back on his word,” he said. “He doesn’t spend a lot of time partying and doing all of that other teenage stuff. He spends most of his free time with family and close friends. He’s a strong Christian, a leader in his youth group. He’s very mature for a 16-year-old.”

He still needs to be able to throw the ball... but this makes it sound like character issues shouldn't be a problem.

I've been criticized for this in the past, but I'm really starting to believe that a team of "good" hard working athletes who are consummate team players might beat a team of "great" prima dona athletes who aren't as dedicated to the team more often than not.
The prima donnas will win 9 out of 10. If you have the ability to get them, you play the odds and go with the prima donnas.

Something is definitely going on in the way of a shift in recruiting strategy. I do not understand it in the least. I am very concerned with what is happening because I see UTK offering a bunch of guys who do not have offers from any other BCS conference schools and who I have not heard of. One thing I do note in all of this is that these are pretty much all offense guys, so I am assuming that it is the new staff who has pushed to make these offers. Now it could be that the new coaches on offense have some deep insight or system that allows them to be better predictors/evaluators than any other BCS conference coaching staff, but it concerns me that this is happening on the heels of the 2006 and 2008 classes. Hopefully, they will start reeling in some commits as a result of head-to-head battles with some of the schools that have vexed the Vols lately (Clemson, Auburn, Bama, Ole Miss, ND, etc.) and I will feel a little better about things.

The prima donnas will win 9 out of 10. If you have the ability to get them, you play the odds and go with the prima donnas.

I don't think so. Why hasn't USC won in a few years? Or better yet the Yankees? Best talent on paper doesn't necessarily translate into championships. It takes a team effort.. often the best model is a couple of stars and a bunch of unselfish role players. No ego struggles in the clubhouse.

I'm not talking 5* versus 2*... but I'll take a bunch of hard working team oriented 3* kids over egotistical me first 4* kids any day. I bet the 3* TEAM wins 7 of 10.

Something is definitely going on in the way of a shift in recruiting strategy. I do not understand it in the least. I am very concerned with what is happening because I see UTK offering a bunch of guys who do not have offers from any other BCS conference schools and who I have not heard of. One thing I do note in all of this is that these are pretty much all offense guys, so I am assuming that it is the new staff who has pushed to make these offers. Now it could be that the new coaches on offense have some deep insight or system that allows them to be better predictors/evaluators than any other BCS conference coaching staff, but it concerns me that this is happening on the heels of the 2006 and 2008 classes. Hopefully, they will start reeling in some commits as a result of head-to-head battles with some of the schools that have vexed the Vols lately (Clemson, Auburn, Bama, Ole Miss, ND, etc.) and I will feel a little better about things.

Understand and agree.

Gen., I consider 3* to be a fairly high rating. When I read your post I was thinking more about N/R prospects who are more or less off the radar of BCS schools. A cohesive 3* team would probably beat a divided 4* team more than 1 out of 10.

Gen., I consider 3* to be a fairly high rating. When I read your post I was thinking more about N/R prospects who are more or less off the radar of BCS schools. A cohesive 3* team would probably beat a divided 4* team more than 1 out of 10.

:good!:

I didn't do a good enough job of explaining that I'm not talking about huge disparities in recruiting rankings... my point was that a slightly lower rated hard working team oriented kid with character can be more valuable than a slightly higher rated "me first" guy.

I hope Clawson isn't thinking these guys are great, because of the skill level he coached at Richmond. I doubt CPF would let that happen, but I am sure Clawson feels like a kid in a candy store with the amount of talent he has seen so far. I just hope he understands that Tennessee has a totally different standard.

One of the most important things in a team is chemistry. Prima donnas don't bring that.

I hope Clawson isn't thinking these guys are great, because of the skill level he coached at Richmond. I doubt CPF would let that happen, but I am sure Clawson feels like a kid in a candy store with the amount of talent he has seen so far. I just hope he understands that Tennessee has a totally different standard.

that is gonna give me nightmares:bad:
i can see what you are saying. clawson sees a *** (3 star) and is like whoa!!he wants to come here?

example...U.S. olympic basketball team....by far more talented than anyone but to much "me" ball and they have been coming up short to less talented but better chemistry teams

One of the most important things in a team is chemistry. Prima donnas don't bring that.
What is a prima donna? An unrated prospect who grew up as a big fish in a little pond can be as much of a pain as a 5* prospect who let the media attention get to his head. We all want elite prospects to sign with the Vols because we recognize that is the best chance for a winning team. The only wrinkle as I see it is that some folks want to make excuses because two of the past three classes did not meet the expectations that most of us had and that reflects poorly on the head coach who is supposed to be a master recruiter.

What is a prima donna? An unrated prospect who grew up as a big fish in a little pond can be as much of a pain as a 5* prospect who let the media attention get to his head. We all want elite prospects to sign with the Vols because we recognize that is the best chance for a winning team. The only wrinkle as I see it is that some folks want to make excuses because two of the past three classes did not meet the expectations that most of us had and that reflects poorly on the head coach who is supposed to be a master recruiter.

You're reading too much into my post.

You're reading too much into my post.
There has definitely been a huge uptick in the 'give me a lifelong UT fan who loves the orange over a 5* prima donna' mantra amongst the Fulmer supporters. It's just an ignorant position to take and it makes us all look foolish. In the future, just end all your posts with the phrase "Fulmer Sucks!" and I will know not to infer an opposite intent.

The only wrinkle as I see it is that some folks want to make excuses because two of the past three classes did not meet the expectations that most of us had and that reflects poorly on the head coach who is supposed to be a master recruiter.

We don't know if the last class meets expectations until they start playing. A Rivals ranking isn't "reality". It is educated speculation.

If he is a master recruiter then a) he isn't relying on his Rivals subscription to tell him who to sign and b) will continue to find excellent players that weren't highly rated, ie: Rogan, Poole, A Foster, R Foster...

In short, there's not alot to make excuses for. Those guys have been signed and will either prover they are good or aren't. Again, a Rivals rating isn't reality. As fun as the recruiting war is to watch... the only REAL importance is what the guys do on the field.

There has definitely been a huge uptick in the 'give me a lifelong UT fan who loves the orange over a 5* prima donna' mantra amongst the Fulmer supporters. It's just an ignorant position to take and it makes us all look foolish. In the future, just end all your posts with the phrase "Fulmer Sucks!" and I will know not to infer an opposite intent.

You know, not everyone who has a position dissimilar to your own believes fulmer to be a great coach, myself being a clear example. I for one have argued that a good, hard working, team oriented player can be more valuable than a slightly higher rated "me oriented" guy, and suggesting that thought to be ignorant is really only a reflection on one's own narrow views.

Believe it or not, most of us don't intend for every comment to be either pro or ant-Fulmer.

In the future, just end all your posts with the phrase "Fulmer Sucks!" and I will know not to infer an opposite intent.

Interesting qualification for what you think constitutes a good, objective post... Just start with the right opinion of Fulmer and don't let the facts get in the way at any point, right?

VN Store

Back