Has it occurred to anyone...

Put yourself in Pruitt's shoes. Pruitt wanted to finish the job at Bama by winning another National Championship before being all in at Tennessee. Who wouldn't? Rings are hard to get. By allowing Enos to finish the season without an announcement, he's giving Enos a better opportunity to get his first ring by not creating a distraction.

smdh lol Talk about mental gymnastics! And Enos is a huge gamble with Locksley out the door

The thing about hiring someone is, you can make an offer for the job but you can't make them take it. Many on here act like the University blew it because someone didn't take the job. Now if they don't make an offer that is different story. I wish this search was over but it isn't. I just hope we end with a good OC. I do think the delay on Freeze may be him weighing his other offers. But what do I know?

Reactions: SmokeyDaBear
If the ridiculous scenario were true and we aren't telling anyone we hired a guy because we don't want to upset Alabama's title run, I'm burning my Vol gear and giving up football.

I have sat back and watched all these message boards get in a tizzy over Freeze. Twitterspehere is bonkers with fans chewing there own arm off at every juncture of uncertainty. Mean while, Pruitt is out recruiting and snagging QB's in the 2019 and 2020 class with no OC ANNOUNCED!!!! So tell me why in the hells bells is everyone in an uproar over Freeze when NO ONE knows for certain he is the guy?! Pruitt not once has claimed he's the man we're after. Perhaps he's waiting for the NFL season to end because he's interested in Jim Bob Cooter for OC or someone else. Crazy talk? Maybe or maybe not. No crazier than anyone else speculating on this search. Damn witch hunt is what this is.

It won't be Cooter. The NFL pays well and the NFL offers a retirement. Cooter will remain in NFL and be a head coach at some point. Remember when we were talking to Lovie Smith about becoming our coach? He had to do one more season in the NFL before he could be eligible for an NFL retirement. He was fired after that and coached at U of Illinois.
Doudt Cooter leaves the NFL when he is now a coordinator and just waiting on a head coaching job.

I am probably wrong, but the simpliest answer is most likely. AV said a choice was made and we would be pleased... announcement today. Which jives with Lindsey going to KS. Now if today comes and goes, expect deal with Freeze hit a wall, somewhere along the way. If it's Freeze pumping breaks, waiting on Bama, then it's really whether we wait for Freeze or move on to choice B.

I agree, Except once, just once, it would be great if we went out, locked onto choice A from the get go, and didn't let go until the ink was dry on the contract? Sort of like we knew what we wanted and made it happen!

Reactions: Devo182
Pruitt should be putting Tennessee's interests first. You can argue how much it hurts Tennessee, not having a coordinator for the next month, but it wouldn't benefit us in any way by having a guy and not announcing it, in my opinion.

Plus, in your scenario, I just don't see why, as a quarterbacks coach, it would take anything away from Enos if it was announced. Sherrer was announced last year before UGA's playoff run.

It has occurred to me that our program is a joke. It has also occurred to me that UT will never be in contention of a NC in football again. Our administration has proved this over the last 4 hires that football is not their main focus. It is very apparent that they are unwilling to cut the strings and let the AD and HC make the calls. From a lot of the reports now about whatever happened 20 years ago that every other school has put to rest shows me exactly what our admins are worried about. They are worried about looking good and having higher morals. They are more worried about keeping up with everyone rather than beating everyone.

I have said this numerous times. Pruitt will either get to make his own calls and get what he wants or he will be out. Someone said "yeah he will be fired in 4 years". That is quite possible. Remind yourself of the Jones years though. He came in with some fire and left beaten and defeated. His final two years you could see a difference in his enthusiasm. I am by no means taking up for the guy. Although look back and tell me that he didn't put a halfassed effort into recruiting as well as coaching the final two seasons compared to when he was first hired? Same thing that happened with Dooley as well. Our 2 deep roster is proof enough. Jones brought in enough highly rated skill star players to boost the rankings yet didn't fill the gaps in the trenches.

It might benefit us by not announcing. Imagine what would happen if it were Friend. How recruiting on the offensive side of the ball might take a hit..... Delay telling us the bad news. Remember when you were a kid? You didn't immediately tell your parents bad news. You waited until you thought that they were in a good mood to help soften the blow.
I see a delay as being imminent bad news coming our way

that Pruitt already has his guy? I mean after-all, he's in Memphis today recruiting. Bailey committed and Maurer said he isn't supposed to say anything and he knows and was reassured when Pruitt visited him last week.

If he already has his guy it's not freeze or else he wouldn't be meeting w FSU....

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
It has occurred to me that our program is a joke. It has also occurred to me that UT will never be in contention of a NC in football again. Our administration has proved this over the last 4 hires that football is not their main focus. It is very apparent that they are unwilling to cut the strings and let the AD and HC make the calls. From a lot of the reports now about whatever happened 20 years ago that every other school has put to rest shows me exactly what our admins are worried about. They are worried about looking good and having higher morals. They are more worried about keeping up with everyone rather than beating everyone.

I have said this numerous times. Pruitt will either get to make his own calls and get what he wants or he will be out. Someone said "yeah he will be fired in 4 years". That is quite possible. Remind yourself of the Jones years though. He came in with some fire and left beaten and defeated. His final two years you could see a difference in his enthusiasm. I am by no means taking up for the guy. Although look back and tell me that he didn't put a halfassed effort into recruiting as well as coaching the final two seasons compared to when he was first hired? Same thing that happened with Dooley as well. Our 2 deep roster is proof enough. Jones brought in enough highly rated skill star players to boost the rankings yet didn't fill the gaps in the trenches

We will never be in contention for a N.C. in football again?????????? Really???????
Half of my family, to include cousins are Bama fans and the other Tennessee fans. My family members that support Bama thought that they would never see the light of day. NCAA sanctions. Dennis Franchoni, Mike DuBose, Mike Price, Mike Shula, Freddie Kitchens.............

Then Shula gets fired, once the NCAA sanctions are completed. Bama tries to hire Rick Rodriquez. He tells them NO. How embarrassing is that????????

Then they hire Saban, after they crawled to Miami on their knees, begging and pleading for him to come to Bama.

Then it all turned around.

Why can't we luck up and get a good hire and things get turned around?????

I'm where I just care about what Coach Pruitt is telling the recruits...whatever it is, it seems to be working...:D

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

Who says it needs to be wrapped up today? Is there a rule somewhere that states they need to have it wrapped up asap? Recruiting is going just fine and the recruits are buying in. He'll announce when he darn well pleases.

Incorrect, we can agree to disagree.

Pruitt should be putting Tennessee's interests first. You can argue how much it hurts Tennessee, not having a coordinator for the next month, but it wouldn't benefit us in any way by having a guy and not announcing it, in my opinion.

Plus, in your scenario, I just don't see why, as a quarterbacks coach, it would take anything away from Enos if it was announced. Sherrer was announced last year before UGA's playoff run.

I would agree. Just don’t see how having a guy but not announcing it helps TN in any way. If anything it helps bama if it’s Enos.

giphy.gif

Reactions: HalfullVol

I have said this numerous times. Pruitt will either get to make his own calls and get what he wants or he will be out. Someone said "yeah he will be fired in 4 years". That is quite possible. Remind yourself of the Jones years though. He came in with some fire and left beaten and defeated. His final two years you could see a difference in his enthusiasm. I am by no means taking up for the guy. Although look back and tell me that he didn't put a halfassed effort into recruiting as well as coaching the final two seasons compared to when he was first hired? Same thing that happened with Dooley as well. Our 2 deep roster is proof enough. Jones brought in enough highly rated skill star players to boost the rankings yet didn't fill the gaps in the trenches.

In Jones’ final 2 years he was upset at the fan base. He looked at the Dooley years at thought that was the standard he would be judged by. When we didn’t throw him a parade for winning crap bowl games he took it personally. Remember his “I’ll never apologize for winning” comments after barely scraping by App State and other G5 schools

I would think coaches have to be good at multitasking. He can't just quit recruiting while he sits around waiting for his candidates decisions.
I would think Pruitt has spent 90% of his personal time doing this OC search and letting his assistants do the recruiting. Sure, he can go see recruits and remotely have meetings about OC searches, but surely most of his energy is about this OC hire, mostly simply because he's the one who has to make the decision.

VN Store

Back