Has anyone else heard about Pat?

Really sad to hear of Coach Summitt's condition. It's a horrible disease that not only affects the person, but the family as well.

She is a great coach and first class person.

Praying for her and the family.

Dep

Reactions: 3 people
It's hard to accept, but if this is indeed the end, it's actually merciful.

I used to work in health care, and helped care for several Alzheimers patients. There is nothing merciful about it. Ever.

Lost my mother to this disease 5 years ago. As bad as it hurt to let her go, seeing her suffer no longer is a huge blessing. May the Lord bless the legendary Pat Summit. Prayers for Pat and the family.

Reactions: 1 person
It got started one day when she had just got back in town. I believe she had just got back in from a recruiting visit, and seemed excited about it. I just asked how that years team (1984 or 85) was doing, and she felt they were going to have a great year.

I just said, "I need to get over there, and see your girls play this year." Pat didn't hesitate, she had a few of those schedules with her,
and gave me one. And she would give me
one the next year and the next. Until I got another job and lost touch with her.

No idea where they are. Probably in a shoe box at my folk's house. I didn't throw them away, but cannot safely say I "kept" them.

More importantly, I used them.

Awesome man. I'm a football guy, but lady vols basketball has always been second. Used to love watching them with my grandmom. This is so sad, and so unfair.

I pray that God comforts her and her family during this time. She is a rare and extraordinary human who has truly made the world a better place.

Pat was not only a great coach but is a great person. She is the reason I as a man, fell in love with the women's game. Her handprint upon the game is not only within the USA but it is worldwide. I miss her on the sideline and her famous stare, as if she was not only a coach of the team I love, but also as if she was family, because in reality she is family. Lord I pray that you Shine Your Light upon one of the greatest persons that you ever allowed to walk on this earth. Pat I love you and thanks for all the great memories that you bought into this world. You are truly bigger than the game itself.😇

Reactions: 5 people
Seriously, u believe this. You need to find another page to post

yeah, i do believe it. i lost my mom three months ago due to an unknown lung disease. i watched her suffer with breathing for months without any doctors being able to pinpoint it. if you've never witnessed something like this, yourself, then you can't relate.

there's a reason such diseases are described as terminal. when it gets towards the end, you indirectly hope for a comfortable ending so they don't have to go through this s*** anymore.

Last edited:
Seriously, u believe this. You need to find another page to post

He makes a great point. I lost a grandmother to Alzheimer's, my dad to cancer, and now watching my mother deteriorate quickly with cancer. These diseases are brutal and relentless; the only blessing you can hope for is a peaceful passing to end the suffering. It is selfish to pray for them to cling to life for the family.

I used to work in health care, and helped care for several Alzheimers patients. There is nothing merciful about it. Ever.

I think he is saying that its merciful that this terrible journey/fight is almost over. Not that it was easy during it.

At least that's how I took it.

yeah, i do believe it. i lost my mom three months ago due to an unknown lung disease. i watched her suffer with breathing for months without any doctors being able to pinpoint it. if you've never witnessed something like this, yourself, then you can't relate.

there's a reason such diseases are described as terminal. when it gets towards the end, you indirectly hope for a comfortable ending so they don't have to go through this s*** anymore.

I watched both my parents go with terminal diseases.. Mom with lung cancer and Dad with a particularly nasty auto immune disorder called poly-miositis (sp)... Dad's was MUCH worse. It was 15 yrs ago and still painful to talk about..

It SUCKS and you NEVER forget..

God bless Pat and her family..

Reactions: 2 people
I watched both my parents go with terminal diseases.. Mom with lung cancer and Dad with a particularly nasty auto immune disorder called poly-miositis (sp)... Dad's was MUCH worse. It was 15 yrs ago and still painful to talk about..

It SUCKS and you NEVER forget..

God bless Pat and her family..
Josh Dobbs' mother is in a wheelchair from polymyositis. A horrible disease.

Thoughts and prayers for Pat, and for everyone else with loved ones who suffer.

prayer+to+help+in+need.jpg

No one recovers from Alzheimer's, especially a case that has progressed as quickly as Pat's. As unfortunate as it is, there is no turning back.

But, the Lord can allow anyone to recover from anything & bring about miracles. I'll admit it's not looking good but as a man of faith I'll keep the hopes up that the Lord will touch & heal her body & mind.

It's just so sad

That is just so sad to read. She may be gone very soon or we may hear of a miracle given by the Lord soon. Maybe the good Lord is waiting to provide that miracle at the last moment to show his realness & to bring others to Him.

Or, maybe He's getting ready to take her home & the pain & sorrow will be gone for her. If that happens I pray the Lord comforts the family & close friends during their difficult time ahead.

Reactions: 2 people
It is just shocking how rapidly her illness advanced. Obviously, those in her inner circle were aware but from the outside, it is hard to believe. Though like many of this board, I have had close relatives who have been afflicted by this horrible illness and it seems that once a certain tipping point is passed, the rate of decline really accelerates.

It is hard to accept this fate for someone who was still so full of energy, passion and who had so much more to offer the world. But, what she accomplished in her 64 years is equivalent to several normal lifetimes worth of contributions and achievements. Her legacy will live on and, in the end, that is the best that any of us can hope for.

Last edited:
I feel bad for Tyler.......He has had a rough year..........Prayers to the Summit Family

I feel for him losing his mother, but the other stuff he brought on himself. Hopefully he grows and learns from adversity. AnDe was like a daughter to Pat.

Meanwhile, this is about Pat - bless her soul. I hope she is not suffering. :cray:

Heroes aren't supposed to die.

Pastor says Summitt's death 'imminent'

"There's no visitors allowed anymore, and Pat will probably pass into Heaven in the next few days," Stephens told Hill on Knoxville's WOKI-FM.

"Pat has gone down pretty rapidly. Tyler has been unbelievable in taking care of his mother — the best help, the best folks that could possibly be — and he's doing very well. He said yesterday there was a line of players to come, said, 'We love you,' and, 'Goodbye.' But Tyler has said no more visitors, so the doctors are saying it's very imminent."

Goodbye Coach Summitt.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back