Harrison Bailey

This thread is just a reminder to trust Heupel because he's proven that he knows what he's doing. A LOT of idiots wanted Bailey starting over Hooker. If Heupel doesn't think Nico is ready yet then I trust his decision.

Also... I wonder if this guy became a fan of UNLV and is now a fan of Louisville? Where Bailey is the 3rd string QB. Just proof that these armchair coaches here have no clue what they're talking about half of the time...
You have to remember too that Huepel originally started Milton over Hooker.

Both players whom he had a pre-existing relationship from the time he was at Mizzou and UCF.

Who is to say that Huepel isn't an overly loyal guy? Not that its a terrible trait to have, just that there are both positives and negatives to being such a person.

Reactions: loservol

Both players whom he had a pre-existing relationship from the time he was at Mizzou and UCF.

Who is to say that Huepel isn't an overly loyal guy? Not that its a terrible trait to have, just that there are both positives and negatives to being such a person.
Part of the reason it was stupid to bump this old topic.

So you are comparing Nico to Harrison? Why even resurrect this thread?
I thought it was very entertaining to see how little our quarterback experts on volnation actually knew. The 14 page thread lasted a week! Hooker tore it up and the arguments for HB became moot.

The one guy that tried to insert a little logic was hammered by the negavol qb coaches. :p

The morale of this story is 'stay in your lane'......:cool:

Are you saying Milton played at Mizzou then Michigan then UT. Hooker played at VT only Gaston 3rd string played at UCF. So maybe I’m misunderstanding your point.

Are you saying Milton played at Mizzou then Michigan then UT. Hooker played at VT only Gaston 3rd string played at UCF. So maybe I’m misunderstanding your point.
Heupel recruited Milton at Mizzou, I think. Milton has been on his radar a long time.

That's the stupid narrative some VN "experts" want to use:
Heupel is being more loyal to Milton than he is to putting Tennessee's the best players on the field. They're saying he's been looking at Milton so long he can't see the flaws clearly. Of course that's BS because the longer you look at a QB, the more flaws you'll detect.

There are people here who just want to run down the coach and Milton.

Huepel recruited Hooker when he was at Mizzou and recruited Milton both when he was at Mizzou and then after he became head coach at UCF. I'm just pointing out he was familiar with both players before becoming head coach at UT. Ince he was coach, He then was able to convince Milton to come to UT after entering the transfer portal.

Heupel recruited Milton at Mizzou, I think. Milton has been on his radar a long time.

Heupel is being more loyal to Milton than he is to putting Tennessee's the best players on the field. They're saying he's been looking at Milton so long he can't see the flaws clearly. Of course that's BS because the longer you look at a QB, the more flaws you'll detect.

This is a silly take. No one is trying to "run down the coach."

Everyone is just trying to make sense of why Milton seems to have unwavering support of the staff as the starter despite them playcalling around him.

Sure, on one hand you can say Nico isn't ready. Maybe Gaston Moore is just a practice arm. Trust, the coach, yada yada. But, at the end of the day, you don't know what you have until you give the player a chance to prove thenselves. Our passing game is nonexistent. Is it really that much if a risj to see what ekse you have?

I can answer both of those questions:

1) No, he clearly wasn’t.

2) Because it shows how fans clamoring for a different QB don’t have a clue, while Heupel obviously does.

The point seemed pretty obvious.
Heupel did start Milton over Hooker. That said I’m sure Milton looks fantastic in practice. His physical tools are impressive. Some guys play better in game. Just saying sometimes even the coaches have to figure it out.

Hell Saban had Kamara benched to the point he transferred.

This is a silly take. No one is trying to "run down the coach."

Everyone is just trying to make sense of why Milton seems to have unwavering support of the staff as the starter despite them playcalling around him.

Sure, on one hand you can say Nico isn't ready. Maybe Gaston Moore is just a practice arm. Trust, the coach, yada yada. But, at the end of the day, you don't know what you have until you give the player a chance to prove thenselves. Our passing game is nonexistent. Is it really that much if a risj to see what ekse you have?
Well, if you start Nico over Milton, he's done. He's been pulled at Michigan and this would be twice at UT that he's lost the starter job. He's going to check out and I don't blame him.

He's quite popular in the locker room. The loss of him as a leader and his disappointment and his embarrassment for getting pulled for a true freshman would be quite a hit for anyone.

So what if Nico really is no better...... you know like our coaches have said, "Nico can't execute the offense any better than Joe."

At that point you're stuck riding the freshman for better or worse and if he gets hurt, you're down to Gaston Moore.

If Gaston Moore was an SEC caliber starter, he'd have hit the transfer portal again long ago to get a chance to start and play. He knew that was never happening at UT.

So yes, the only upside is: Nico completely balls out much better than Milton. That's unlikely. The risk is not worth it.

Milton stinks and makes dumb decisions, how is that the coach's fault?

He's not the only negavol Mikey... you were calling Heupel another "Beldar Cornbread."
Ya,
My reaction to Hypel being hired wasn’t very nice.
I started calling him Hypel immediately as an insult because I was positive he was just another guy that was “the best we could get.
I’m more than happy for people to dig up those post. I’ll own them and tell y’all how happy I am to be wrong.

Just saying

Milton stinks and makes dumb decisions, how is that the coach's fault?
Milton is our starting QB. Our coaching staff has said we don't have a QB who can execute the offense any better than Joe.

The coaches have chosen Milton to start and continue to choose Milton to start and haven't pulled him.

I'm not the one arguing that Milton stinks or that our coaches are blind. Other people are. Milton is fine, though not Hendon Hooker great, and is our best QB in my opinion.

And YOU have to remember that Hooker started the third game in spite of Milton being ready to go and then was named the starter before the next game.

By all accounts... every observer... Milton had won the job. That's not loyalty or anything of the sort other than consistency to the principle that if you earn it in practice you get it on game day.

As for Nico, I believe he has a plan for Nico's development. For argument's sake, let's say that Nico would be better than Milton right now. It might still be the best decision to develop Nico more and especially physically before throwing him to SEC defenses.

Milton is our starting QB. Our coaching staff has said we don't have a QB who can execute the offense any better than Joe.

The coaches have chosen Milton to start and continue to choose Milton to start and haven't pulled him.

I'm not the one arguing that Milton stinks or that our coaches are blind. Other people are. Milton is fine, though not Hendon Hooker great, and is our best QB in my opinion.
Agree with you except for that one point. I don't think Milton has been fine. UT needs better QB play and especially if he's the best option. The Vols need him to be better.

In lieu of throwing the ball, I'd be happy if they just designed him into the run game more.

Well, if you start Nico over Milton, he's done. He's been pulled at Michigan and this would be twice at UT that he's lost the starter job. He's going to check out and I don't blame him.

He's quite popular in the locker room. The loss of him as a leader and his disappointment and his embarrassment for getting pulled for a true freshman would be quite a hit for anyone.

So what if Nico really is no better...... you know like our coaches have said, "Nico can't execute the offense any better than Joe."

At that point you're stuck riding the freshman for better or worse and if he gets hurt, you're down to Gaston Moore.

If Gaston Moore was an SEC caliber starter, he'd have hit the transfer portal again long ago to get a chance to start and play. He knew that was never happening at UT.

So yes, the only upside is: Nico completely balls out much better than Milton. That's unlikely. The risk is not worth it.
Or Nico plays at least average, which is better than Milton, and the team can start preparing for the future.

Afterall, there have been multiple times this season where the coaches have taken the ball out of Milton's hands for entire posessions. Why couldn't someone else execute that? Also, I think one could argue Nico offers more in the run game as well.

But outside of that, if Milton isn't getting it done and we are down to Bama on the road, I hope Huepel is willing to try and give this team a spark and not worry how it may affect Milton. Afterall, win out and we could hypothetically make the CFP. Up to this point, I could maybe understand the coach protecting the QBs psyche. But not anymore. No need to save him. Either win with him or try someone else.

Agree with you except for that one point. I don't think Milton has been fine. UT needs better QB play and especially if he's the best option. The Vols need him to be better.

In lieu of throwing the ball, I'd be happy if they just designed him into the run game more.
I'll modify to Milton is doing acceptable work.

Other than the incredibly bad interception, I've not seen plays that would lead me to react like some here.... "He's going to lose games for us."

I believe Milton is playing to the level of his ability with the playbook he's being given. I don't think his decision making is going to improve much beyond what we're seeing now. His execution, primarily his passing, might improve some and he might, but I doubt it, start believing more in his ability to run. I'm not expecting a "next gear" to kick in.

As for play designs that don't fit his ability, that's on the coaches, primarily Heupel, to fix.

Fine is a stretch. He’s very subpar, especially given the university and conference he plays for.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Or Nico plays at least average, which is better than Milton, and the team can start preparing for the future.

Afterall, there have been multiple times this season where the coaches have taken the ball out of Milton's hands for entire posessions. Why couldn't someone else execute that? Also, I think one could argue Nico offers more in the run game as well.

But outside of that, if Milton isn't getting it done and we are down to Bama on the road, I hope Huepel is willing to try and give this team a spark and not worry how it may affect Milton. Afterall, win out and we could hypothetically make the CFP. Up to this point, I could maybe understand the coach protecting the QBs psyche. But not anymore. No need to save him. Either win with him or try someone else.
If you go down that route, you have no one who is a real SEC QB to bring in if Nico really sucks. Joe will be devastated as you would be.

Nico is not physically prepared to take a lot of big SEC hits. I saw they'd put 15lbs on him, maybe 20 by now, but the man isn't ready to be a durable runner in the SEC yet.

Joe isn't a power runner but he is a full grown man. He obviously doesn't like contact but he can take and deliver big hits.

I keep hearing Milton isn't getting it done. We're winning. It's not always the QBs job to pick the entire team up and carry them. Yes, Hendon Hooker DID that at times but it's not given that a QB must be able to do that. Most QBs can't and I SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY DOUBT Nico can either at this point in his career.

You can't assume Nico is a "huge leap" ahead from Joe without DIRECTLY implying you don't trust Josh Heupel's eye for QBs. I do. And for good reason. His history with QBs goes back well beyond Hooker and Milton.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Fine is a stretch. He’s very subpar, especially given the university and conference he plays for.
He's 7-1 as a starter, but sure. Whatever.

Everyone here expects Hendon Hooker to trot out in Joe Milton's body. That's not happening. Milton isn't that good. Most QBs aren't that good.

Stop expecting to see the 2022 Vols play in 2023. It's not realistic. We're 5-1 MUCH differently than we played last year, yes, but UT is still winning.

We've got a boxers chance to take out Bama at home with this team. If Milton really sucked, that wouldn't be the case.

He's 7-1 as a starter, but sure. Whatever.

Everyone here expects Hendon Hooker to trot out in Joe Milton's body. That's not happening. Milton isn't that good. Most QBs aren't that good.

Stop expecting to see the 2022 Vols play in 2023. It's not realistic. We're 5-1 MUCH differently than we played last year, yes, but UT is still winning.

We've got a boxers chance to take out Bama at home with this team. If Milton really sucked, that wouldn't be the case.
If Milton plays as he has so far this season, it’s not the case. You keep touting this 5-1 when we both know the truth is we haven’t played good teams yet. We lost to a bad Florida and kept games close that should’ve been blowouts. Sugarcoat it if you’d like but Joe holds this team back. No one expects hooker, but I’m not real excited about having the worst QB in the SEC either.

Reactions: volsrock09

VN Store

Back