Harrison Bailey

Am I the only one who finds it strange that the people who defend Milton & Hooker, but do not like Bailey, most often use as their argument that Bailey was not being played by Pruitt?

I thought it is pretty universal that Pruitt had no idea about offense. I would hardly think he is one anyone would use to convince them Bailey is not a great QB, especially since Pruitt took us to the bottom with JG.

Both the other guys left programs because they could not compete there, but now people think they are perfect to compete in the SEC. Football is a crazy world, occupied by many crazy people.
That is all the entire fan base wanted-was for Pruitt to play Bailey. And repeatedly called him stupid for not doing so.

Reactions: CJBlaze
I think what’s going on is that Heupel is not burning the opportunity for a redshirt year by playing him when he is buried on the depth chart. When Milton is out and HB is number 2 and a serious contender, we will see him. That’s the best approach for HB and the program.

Finally someone making sense!

BG was a win regardless, so CJH played the guy with tHe highest upside to see what he looked like in action in this offense. He cut off the passing game to cover for Milton's weaknesses.

Against Pitt, even though Milton was missing on those bombs, their defense was gassed by the second series. Their defensive strengths were their dline and corners, and we had them sucking wind and on their heels early.

Surely CJH thought he would hit one eventually.

Hooker is our biggest gamer...can make plays with his armnor his feet...but turns the ball over too much. (I also believe the 4th down play was a read option that Hooker misread, and CJH covered for him.)

One of our big question marks was our receiving corps. CJH said after game one we had problems in all phases of the passing game. Could he be working out some of those kinks before plugging on the pass-reliant Bailey.

Is it possible Bailey asked to preserve the red shirt if possible if he didn't win the starting job?

Truth is we don't know. We're playing with a depleted, patch work roster in a new system, and there is NO WAY we're firing our coach again.

Let's just give him the benefit of the doubt this season and quit being whiny b*tches.

So if Hooker comes n and lights it up and runs the offense perfectly then what reason is there to see HB? Why do y’all think he deserves it? Because his high school stats were awesome? Cause he was a world beater in a team scrimmage? O&W game.
Hell no. If Hooker is getting the job done then thats enough for me.
Hooker is better than Milton but he didnt do enough to exclude HB getting a look.

The stats being what? That Hooker is better than HB? Fine, Hooker should be playing over HB too. Oh wait, he already is. HB in non-Vandy games (because Vandy played with like 40 scholarship players and could have canceled because of COVID but elected to play) had 2 TDs and 2 INTS. He threw for 100 or less yards in 3/4 games, and the one he did throw 100 yards in he was down 31-7 to Florida and got benched for Shrout. He also got benched for Shrout against Tx AM.

He had every chance to win the job in spring/summer/fall and by all accounts from our media was a clear 3rd.

I don't care whether Milton or Hooker, or even Bailey starts. But you people who think Heupel sees practice and says "Yep, HB is the best guy....let's start Milton (or Hooker)" are legitimately morons.
Hooker looked better than Milton to me minus the first series. That in itself is enough to wonder about the decision to start Milton. It happens and thats not a knock on Heupel. Practice is just that, routes on air don't matter. The game is most important. I do believe Heupel will get it right eventually.

I have no "boy." However racist your connotation may be. I put my trust in the guy getting paid to select the QB from his years of provable experience. Not, "VolRage" because VolRage says so. Unless you have the resume to back it up.
lol bro you are probably the only person who got anything racist out of that.
hahaha i cant even believe youre a real person.

Hooker looked better than Milton to me minus the first series. That in itself is enough to wonder about the decision to start Milton. It happens and thats not a knock on Heupel. Practice is just that, routes on air don't matter. The game is most important. I do believe Heupel will get it right eventually.

Look, you and I have had our arguments - but I agree with this. I get the fanbase having a little PTSD from the Pruitt years and not pulling JG sooner. But that is totally unfair to Heupel. We didn't even get one half before people started calling for our 3rd string quarterback (totally bypassing Hooker). I have repeatedly tried to say...guys, trust our HC. What happens if he starts Hooker over a healthy Milton this week? What will the fanbase reaction be? It should be positive..."oh hey, look Heupel making the move." Somehow I think it will be "He's a moron not playing HB!"

We as a fanbase gets criticized for being too panicky and demanding too much. How many "experts" have laughed at our fanbase for thinking we deserve national titles this year. I hate that hyperbole crap because I think our fanbase wants a winner, and sets our expectations much more realistic than we get credit for.

But this calling for HB crap makes our fanbase look pathetic. Give Heupel the chance to coach. Its been 120 min of football. Let the season play out before we make grand projections. Otherwise, we are just going to bury this staff and be looking for a new one soon.

He looked better at times but also turned it over 2 times to Milton’s 1. If he’s doing that in practice (or maybe even worse) that’s why he’s second string no matter if he has more touch on the ball. We’re making snap judgments off of barely more than a half of play from Hooker. That’s not fair to either player or to coach. Next week won’t tell us much either but SEC play will.

I think the problem with HB is he's may be struggling a little with the playbook CJH wants to run. Already been said CJH has ran offenses without a mobile QB so I'd like to think if Bailey's a Mac Jones type player and knows the playbook he'd be starting.
Running an offense without a mobile QB is playing with what you have. If HB was thought of as QB1 or even Maurer who JH had familiarity with them the QB room would not of been filled with transfers after last season. We don’t have he luxury of Mac Jones players as a supporting cast, the reason the threat of a QB who can run is crucial.

Last edited:
Say what you want about HB and Milton and Hooker but the coaches have the ultimate call on who starts. The thing you cannot deny is that Heupel has had great QB play everywhere he has been. He knows how to coach QB's. Last year with Pruitt I felt that JG never got any better.
He better find one to coach if he is that good because anyone can see Milton is NOT the answer, he looks like a deer in the headlights on EVERY play

The stats being what? That Hooker is better than HB? Fine, Hooker should be playing over HB too. Oh wait, he already is. HB in non-Vandy games (because Vandy played with like 40 scholarship players and could have canceled because of COVID but elected to play) had 2 TDs and 2 INTS. He threw for 100 or less yards in 3/4 games, and the one he did throw 100 yards in he was down 31-7 to Florida and got benched for Shrout. He also got benched for Shrout against Tx AM.

He had every chance to win the job in spring/summer/fall and by all accounts from our media was a clear 3rd.

I don't care whether Milton or Hooker, or even Bailey starts. But you people who think Heupel sees practice and says "Yep, HB is the best guy....let's start Milton (or Hooker)" are legitimately morons.

Tough guy calling folks morons having no idea who your talking to. I’d calm down with the name calling if I were you.

Bailey was playing high school football in the fall of 2019 and enrolled on Jan 2020. Then he didn’t have a spring and not much of fall practice due to Covid so in your mind he should be as good or better than a college seasoned Shrout that had already played through several spring and fall practices. Is that your argument? I’d say HB’s stats last year were pretty good considering.

As I’ve already said, I hope HB transfers to a school that UT plays in 2023 and lights it up that night with a 75% completion ratio and 600 yards.

Look, you and I have had our arguments - but I agree with this. I get the fanbase having a little PTSD from the Pruitt years and not pulling JG sooner. But that is totally unfair to Heupel. We didn't even get one half before people started calling for our 3rd string quarterback (totally bypassing Hooker). I have repeatedly tried to say...guys, trust our HC. What happens if he starts Hooker over a healthy Milton this week? What will the fanbase reaction be? It should be positive..."oh hey, look Heupel making the move." Somehow I think it will be "He's a moron not playing HB!"

We as a fanbase gets criticized for being too panicky and demanding too much. How many "experts" have laughed at our fanbase for thinking we deserve national titles this year. I hate that hyperbole crap because I think our fanbase wants a winner, and sets our expectations much more realistic than we get credit for.

But this calling for HB crap makes our fanbase look pathetic. Give Heupel the chance to coach. Its been 120 min of football. Let the season play out before we make grand projections. Otherwise, we are just going to bury this staff and be looking for a new one soon.
I am not of the group that thinks Heupel sucks bro. I think he is going to be here awhile. I like the staff. We want to win. I have no issues with play calling except the 4th down call. I do not understand why teams that run these type offenses do not line up under center and fall forward. Thats not just Heupel but all spread teams. I am also good with Hooker taking snaps. Give him reps with the 1s all week and lets role if Milton is out we should see Bailey. Then we all have more to go on. I do think Bailey is likely a better QB than Milton we may disagree there. Thats ok

There are also a lot of variables behind the scenes we do not know. One being if Bailey and Heupel have talked and he is taking a rs like another poster mentioned. That gives Bailey a year to get ready in this system. Not likely but it could happen. There could be plans in place though. We don't know those answers.

I am not of the group that thinks Heupel sucks bro. I think he is going to be here awhile. I like the staff. We want to win. I have no issues with play calling except the 4th down call. I do not understand why teams that run these type offenses do not line up under center and fall forward. Thats not just Heupel but all spread teams. I am also good with Hooker taking snaps. Give him reps with the 1s all week and lets role if Milton is out we should see Bailey. Then we all have more to go on. I do think Bailey is likely a better QB than Milton we may disagree there. Thats ok

Yeah, agreed. It was an awful spot first of all (can't believe we didn't challenge the spot). But then to not just lineup under center and push forward. Or even have Hooker roll to one side. You can't come out of shotgun and hand off forward.

Reactions: BigALWiLson
What I find interesting is we had almost 400 yards offense against what the “experts” say is a good experienced Pitt defense and as stated elsewhere, were in this game until the end, yet we are beyond horrible. The offense improved substantially from game one until game two (and would have been better had Milton not started) but no one sees that. Saying Bailey is terrible is a pointless statement because it is based on whining not fact. I will never understand this “fan base”.

Tough guy calling folks morons having no idea who your talking to. I’d calm down with the name calling if I were you.

Bailey was playing high school football in the fall of 2019 and enrolled on Jan 2020. Then he didn’t have a spring and not much of fall practice due to Covid so in your mind he should be as good or better than a college seasoned Shrout that had already played through several spring and fall practices. Is that your argument? I’d say HB’s stats last year were pretty good considering.

As I’ve already said, I hope HB transfers to a school that UT plays in 2023 and lights it up that night with a 75% completion ratio and 600 yards.

1. I call them like I see them. You legit responded that Heupel must be lying to protect himself from playing the best QB, because other self-interested people have lied in history to benefit themselves. All while not seeing that your logic made no sense, and that Heupel has no interest other than playing the best QB to give himself the best chance to win. So yes, it is moronic to believe that Heupel is not selecting who he thinks is the best QB on our roster.

2. I never thought HB should be playing better than Shrout. That is the entire point. You all think he should be, and you all think he is better than Milton and Hooker this year even though they have more experience. My entire point always has been that Heupel knows a hell of a lot more what it takes to play QB in the SEC than you, me, and everyone on this board. So trust Heupel to make that choice. Demanding he start the 3rd string QB is nonsensical whining. If you all think you know better and that HB absolutely 100% should be starting...go apply for the UT QB coach position. Or apply to be our next HC.

3. If you really hope that HB goes to another school and lights us up, you again reach the crux of this argument. You are NOT a fan of Tennessee. You are a fan of HB. And thats your right. But Tennessee was here before HB and will be long after HB is gone. So go root for him, and leave the Tennessee fandom to actual fans of TN. And based on that comment, you are not a fan of TN.

Reactions: herkyvol

oh im with you dude.

I will reply to your 3rd point only. I hope Bailey stays O&W. I hope he gets a chance here. That said if he does transfer he will be in the SEC and could very well beat us with most of the teams in this league. I do not hope for it but it could happen. There were a lot of schools that offered him to play ball. And I am sure if he wants to play in the SEC he would find a home. He has skills, he probably does need a real RS to get better. Not many major conference teams start True Freshmen QBs unless you have to. Last year was a weird one in a lot of ways.

And yet you found it important enough to respond.
That was predictable. It’s football. Only small minded people would resort to insulting people through a football board. You need more to do with your life.

1. I call them like I see them. You legit responded that Heupel must be lying to protect himself from playing the best QB, because other self-interested people have lied in history to benefit themselves. All while not seeing that your logic made no sense, and that Heupel has no interest other than playing the best QB to give himself the best chance to win. So yes, it is moronic to believe that Heupel is not selecting who he thinks is the best QB on our roster.

2. I never thought HB should be playing better than Shrout. That is the entire point. You all think he should be, and you all think he is better than Milton and Hooker this year even though they have more experience. My entire point always has been that Heupel knows a hell of a lot more what it takes to play QB in the SEC than you, me, and everyone on this board. So trust Heupel to make that choice. Demanding he start the 3rd string QB is nonsensical whining. If you all think you know better and that HB absolutely 100% should be starting...go apply for the UT QB coach position. Or apply to be our next HC.

3. If you really hope that HB goes to another school and lights us up, you again reach the crux of this argument. You are NOT a fan of Tennessee. You are a fan of HB. And thats your right. But Tennessee was here before HB and will be long after HB is gone. So go root for him, and leave the Tennessee fandom to actual fans of TN. And based on that comment, you are not a fan of TN.
i was here long before bailey threw his first high school pass. been a fan of the vols since before i knew who HB even was.
and i still want HB to light us up if he transfers. cause we deserve it.

That was predictable. It’s football. Only small minded people would resort to insulting people through a football board. You need more to do with your life.
If you don’t want to be called a fool, don’t post foolishness. Pretty simple.

Reactions: MKEvol
i was here long before bailey threw his first high school pass. been a fan of the vols since before i knew who HB even was.
and i still want HB to light us up if he transfers. cause we deserve it.
The HB cult is so weird. He’s shown literally nothing to warrant this kind of worship

Reactions: MKEvol

You responded to me for calling you out for claiming that our coach, a national championship winning quarterback in his own right, didn't know as much about doing his job as "the fans." And you dont think that is stupid. And you are offended that I called you out for that. That is your problem, not mine.

I have to laugh at blind loyalist like yourself. Can’t see the forest for the trees. I gave you this years stats between your boy Milton and Hooker. Hooker is better and it’s abundantly clear to those of us that aren’t infatuated with a guy that can throw the ball 80 yards but can’t hit the broad side of a barn. And then I gave you HB’s 2020 stats against superior talent so…… You’re free to be a blind loyalist if you’d like.

Regarding my fandom. You have no idea what a hard core fan I am. Loyalty is a 2 way street. The Vol administration and coaches haven’t been so loyal to us fans over the past 15 years so….. Many of us are just sick of the inferior product we’ve blindly supported while Bama, GA, and others get further and further out of reach. Others like yourself seem to be okay with bottom feeding or mediocrity.

VN Store

Back