Harrison Bailey to UNLV

It is honestly a perfect situation for Bailey. Arroyo will make the team better and his offense works to Bailey's strengths.

I wish him luck at UNLV.

That said, I think he hurt himself by leaving mid-season. I know some people disagree and say players are "getting a head start on searching", but I don't agree. If I'm a coach and I see a QB quit like that, it makes me less interested. It's one thing to play the season out, support your teammates, and then transfer for better opportunities ta the end of the season (see JT Daniels at Georgia). It's another to just bail with 3 or 4 games left in the season.

Other than that, I think he's had unfortunate timing. There's been a trend towards "dual-threat" QBs since Michael Vick, but that trend accelerated substantially over the past few seasons, to the point that it's difficult to even be competitive without one now. And HB is not a "dual threat"; he's a traditional pocket-passer. He would've done better 20 - 30 years ago. Now, I think you really have to be elite as a pocket passer to get away with not being able to gain yards on the ground.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Just thankful he didn’t go to an SEC team where he could embarrass us in a revenge game. Not exactly like we do a good job shutting down QBs these last few years 😬

Just thankful he didn’t go to an SEC team where he could embarrass us in a revenge game. Not exactly like we do a good job shutting down QBs these last few years 😬
Yeah we do seem to make Qbs look like heisman contenders but there was no chance he was going to another sec team he's just not that good

I've heard the same thing from two different coaches about the Stockton kid that signed with UGA. Will be interesting to see if they were right
In Rabun County? That's a tiny little mountain county. Hard to believe they'd have that much talent. Poor competition maybe. Bailey played at Marietta which is in Georgia's higher classifications if not the highest.

Kid should have left early last year when he first saw he wasn't a fit for the new offense.

Any rate, best of luck Mr. Bailey.
IMO he would have been better to stay with the team the whole year. Would have been a better look for him and would not have cost him any eligibility. Only downside is that he would have needed to be more discrete in exploring his options.

But, like you, I wish him luck.

Reactions: IndianaVol
Wish him good luck. Just imagine the sweet NIL deals he would have gotten if the mob still ran Vegas.

Hope he gets his education and leaves Vegas with no vices or bad habits....not a chance . Can't blame him, sounds like a good landing spot , if he can keep his head straight.

He had a crazy offer list out of HS. So I guess everyone got it wrong including our own coach.
The big offers came when he was young. He was elite for his age when he was a freshman. Then his weaknesses continued without improving and the elite programs backed off. That "offer list" was not committable.

If he plays well at UNLV, which I hope he does, what does that prove? That he was an SEC caliber quarterback? Certainly not. Bo Nix found a home at Oregon for Pete's sake, HB falling all the way to UNLV says alot about what the entire fraternity of college coaches thinks about him.

Maybe or maybe not...

Yes. But then again if he had stayed on the roster he could have gotten his chance through injury. Instead, he's going to be a stationary target for a 2-10 team that gave up about 3.5 sacks per game.

I don't begrudge him his call.

His lack of opportunity does pretty much put a stamp on Pruitt's ability to recognize or recruit quality QB's.
Yikes! With HB's mobility and slow release issues and a team that gives up 3.5 sacks a game, survival might be an issue.

You're right, though, it's his call. His decision to bail during the season, especially since he didn't land until post-season, is eyebrow raising. I assume he misjudged his transfer options/value.

You really don't have to look too far back in this thread to see I argued against those who thought he "deserved" a shot or "should be the back up". No one should get anything they do not earn. That said, strange things happen to get guys promoted. Sometimes they step up and become stars. Not saying that would have happened with HB... but compared to even starting at UNLV? I'm thinking 3rd string at UT might be a better gig.
I sure would have hated to throw away my free transfer to wind up at UNLV but he should get playing time there but maybe at the cost of NFL dreams

VN Store

Back