Harrison Bailey (merged)

SC’s QB is
“much better”

About 180 yards or so per
About 57%
6 td’s 2 int’s

Negative 27 yards rushing, negative 4 per

This his is “per game” averages……..in NO way is he “much” better.

mid you say Doty…..he is 50%, 1-1, and 2.5 yards per carry……again…..how would he be “much better”?

Did you see the throws they made today? I haven’t seen any of our QBs make better throws than Doty or Noland made.

Did you see the throws they made today? I haven’t seen any of our QBs make better throws than Doty or Noland made.

“We” can tend to be biased at times…..as fans.

Stats don’t lie.

Average at the very best passing
can’t run to save their lives.

Doesn’t equal “much” better.

Don’t worry…..I get you. It doesn’t look pretty.

But sometimes as downtrodden Vol fans……we can exaggerate a bit……simply because of how bad things have been……and it isn’t looking…….sunshiny and rainbows right now.

I do get it.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
Yep but his is fixable. Bailey’s arm strength won’t change. You can’t run a spread offense with an arm that can’t throw to the perimeter

I'll believe it's fixable when someone actually fixes it. No one has been up to the task as of yet.

I'll believe it's fixable when someone actually fixes it. No one has been up to the task as of yet.

Not saying it will but the fact that he’s don’t it in Fall leads me to believe he can. Just needs to cool the adrenaline a bit in game and/or add some loft. He did that on the Hyatt throw last week, plenty of loft. But then didn’t for some reason.

I’m happy and optimistic with Hooker or Milton right now

Bailey never looked past his 1st receiver today and looked scared. I know isn't getting as many reps as our other 2 but I was really surprised how bad he looked. If how he played today is how he's practiced I understand why he's not getting as many. Was hoping for a lot more from him! Just seemed he didn't know what he was supposed to do. Not a hater by any means. Just really thought he would look much better! I know, not with 1st team but our walk ons are better than anyone on tech so I just don't think that matters so much. Hope he can improve because if our line doesn't I see him starting at some point if for no other reason than injuries.

Reactions: So.ProVOL
Just some thoughts. Bailey maybe should get a chance with the ones around him. Hooker and Milton could play too. Hooker could be a good WR possibly, looks fairly athletic and very good feet. Milton could play tight end? I really don't think Bailey looked very good yesterday though. I hope it was just his supporting cast. Honestly though from the on field QB play so far, Milton looks to be the most in control of the offense, he just misses high too often. If that can be fixed I think he can be really really good! If not, we have to move on. Looks the same to me as he did at Michigan so that's the main reason I would like to see what Bailey could do with the first group.

Not trying to trigger a millenial, Just speculation on why Bailey isn't a"fit" for Heupel's system. Btw, we all know why you try to get playmakers in space. I mean just look at how the spread works in the NFL..
oh ,that's right, no one runs it.
Your comments are straw men and what you aren't getting is that it's not college football's job to get guys ready for the NFL. It's a college coaches job to win games and keep his job. Tim Tebow was an awful NFL quarterback, but he was great in college, and Urban didn't owe him anything to get him ready for the NFL. If that triggers you, I'm sorry the game has passed you by[/QUOTE]
What you don't get is; NFL pipelines are one of the major factors in recruiting... just like winning. There have been many a talented player passed over in the draft due to the type system he came came from... so spare me the game has passed me by bs. Maybe, you over estimated your knowledge of the game in the first place.

Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson, Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, and Deshaun Watson say hello.
Yeah the QBs you stated are mobile I'll give you that but they're not true dual threat QBs. Hell even Tannehill takes off and runs occasionally.

Yeah the QBs you stated are mobile I'll give you that but they're not true dual threat QBs. Hell even Tannehill takes off and runs occasionally.
In college every QB listed except Allen (759) have over 1k career rushing yards.. they were all dual threat..

What happened to the days when guys came into programs and sat—patiently waiting, studying the game, practicing, and getting better—until their junior year?

Everyone seems to think that “5-star recruit” means the next Trevor Lawrence and that any 5-star is ready to come in, start instantly, and set school records. That’s just not the case and it’s unrealistic expectations to put on a kid.

Harrison Bailey isn’t starting because a coach who is is a former Heisman QB candidate, with decades of coaching experience, has determined Bailey isn’t ready yet. Him and is staff are the second to make that determination (with the first including Chaney, Martin, and Weinke).

So there’s two avenues of thought: either he’s really not ready, or the coaches are dumb. Take your pick, but at this point I believe it takes quite the stubborn ego to go with option 2.

What happened to the days when guys came into programs and sat—patiently waiting, studying the game, practicing, and getting better—until their junior year?

Everyone seems to think that “5-star recruit” means the next Trevor Lawrence and that any 5-star is ready to come in, start instantly, and set school records. That’s just not the case and it’s unrealistic expectations to put on a kid.

So, is Heupel doing ‘less with more’? All these highly rated qbs and can’t get much going with the passing game. Guess he’ll fit in with all our rivals except Bama.

So, is Heupel doing ‘less with more’? All these highly rated qbs and can’t get much going with the passing game. Guess he’ll fit in with all our rivals except Bama.

Well, I think there are a couple of factors at play. Mainly, I don't think that 3 games is enough of a sample size to evaluate the full scope of our passing game or its potential. For what it's worth, Hooker put together a good game against TN Tech, and he played pretty well against Pitt. My main concern for him remains ball security (fumbles) more than anything having to do with his passing ability.

But ultimately, when I say Harrison isn't ready, I mean that he's not yet showing the coaching staff the complete package--physical and mental--proving that he's ready. And I'm not saying he doesn't have it. I think he will 100% get there, it's just not this moment.

What happened is that a QB in college could "one and done" or "two and done" and make multi millions in the NFL rather than risk a career ending injury in college.

I'm not saying it's good because you get huge talents like Dwayne Haskins who put up ridiculous college stats then jump to the NFL before they're mature enough for the professional game.

Playing in college for next to no money and risking a Tua or McKenzie Milton injury isn't a good business decision. It might be a good life and maturity decision but risking a career ending injury in college when you're potentially looking at an 8 figure contract....... is dumb.

Tannehill ran a 4.65 40 at his combine and 4.58 at this Pro Day (although that was 2012); Bailey's time is listed as 5.07. All of the other guys in that list were in that same 4.65 range or better, so that's apples to oranges unfortunately.

I'm like most of you on here that at least hoped that Bailey would have been the answer. It can be hard to really evaluate a QB in mop-up time with 3rd stringers (ie: there may not have been time to get to a 2nd or 3rd read), however I remember one of his first few throws Saturday being a WR screen to the outside that seemed to have NO zip on it. It was a distinct difference in how it came out when compared to the throws Hooker had been making most of the day. That was the biggest thing that stood out to me, which may explain (at least partially) why he's 3rd on the depth chart right now.

Did you watch Bailey yesterday? Did you see something that would give you a sense that he is obviously better than Hooker or Milton?
I didn’t… didn’t watch the game… was hanging with a babe. But that said, from what I am reading Hooker is the best option.

Well, I think there are a couple of factors at play. Mainly, I don't think that 3 games is enough of a sample size to evaluate the full scope of our passing game or its potential. For what it's worth, Hooker put together a good game against TN Tech, and he played pretty well against Pitt. My main concern for him remains ball security (fumbles) more than anything having to do with his passing ability.

But ultimately, when I say Harrison isn't ready, I mean that he's not yet showing the coaching staff the complete package--physical and mental--proving that he's ready. And I'm not saying he doesn't have it. I think he will 100% get there, it's just not this moment.
I agree. I was mostly kidding about the ‘less with more’ schtick that VN uses for moral victories against uga, uf, vandy, whoever else we are losing to. I think Bailey has plenty of time to become an exceptional qb, whether here or somewhere else. He definitely needs to get as many practice reps as he can so the game will slow down for him.

Tannehill ran a 4.65 40 at his combine and 4.58 at this Pro Day (although that was 2012); Bailey's time is listed as 5.07. All of the other guys in that list were in that same 4.65 range or better, so that's apples to oranges unfortunately.

I'm like most of you on here that at least hoped that Bailey would have been the answer. It can be hard to really evaluate a QB in mop-up time with 3rd stringers (ie: there may not have been time to get to a 2nd or 3rd read), however I remember one of his first few throws Saturday being a WR screen to the outside that seemed to have NO zip on it. It was a distinct difference in how it came out when compared to the throws Hooker had been making most of the day. That was the biggest thing that stood out to me, which may explain (at least partially) why he's 3rd on the depth chart right now.
Tannehill also played WR so it makes sense he had a little speed

VN Store

Back