Hard nosed, intelligent, political discussion

(VOLracerx @ Mar 31 said:
Can you esplain please??
How can someone get the most people votes and still lose the presidency in a TRUE democracy that goes against the definition in the online dictionary.
democracy
4 entries found for democracy.
To select an entry, click on it.
democracypure democracysocial democracyTory Democracy

Main Entry: de·moc·ra·cy
Pronunciation: di-'mä-kr&-sE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -cies
Etymology: Middle French democratie, from Late Latin democratia, from Greek dEmokratia, from dEmos + -kratia -cracy
1 a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majority b : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections
2 : a political unit that has a democratic government
3 capitalized : the principles and policies of the Democratic party in the U.S.
4 : the common people especially when constituting the source of political authority
5 : the absence of hereditary or arbitrary class distinctions or privileges
:hi:

Yes. Yes. We are living in a representative republic. Aside from the electoral college, the U.S. Senate is another good example. A state like Wyoming gets the same number of senators as California regardless of population.

I would point out two things in this debate:

In 1992 nearly 57% of Americans did not vote for Bill Clinton yet he was elected president. Please explain that reality in connection with your dictionary.

Demagoguery of the nation's fear about war is much older than the 2004 election. Please see the ad campaign run against Barry Goldwater showing a nuclear holocaust if he were elected.

(VolunteerHillbilly @ Mar 31 said:
Yes. Yes. We are living in a representative republic. Aside from the electoral college, the U.S. Senate is another good example. A state like Wyoming gets the same number of senators as California regardless of population.

Exactly . . . Despite what you may hear, we absolutely DO NOT live in a democracy and the framers never intended for it to be as such.

Maybe we should count the "guest workers" as 3/5 of a citizen for census purposes for doling out seats in the house of representatives? Of course, they cannot vote though.

Meant to be a joke.

(VolunteerHillbilly @ Mar 31 said:
Maybe we should count the "guest workers" as 3/5 of a citizen for census purposes for doling out seats in the house of representatives? Of course, they cannot vote though.

Meant to be a joke.

Ahh, a little constitutional humor. :hi:

Hey Volinasheville is it nice living there I was thinking about moving next year and that was one place that crossed my mind.

(DAVOL @ Mar 31 said:
Hey Volinasheville is it nice living there I was thinking about moving next year and that was one place that crossed my mind.

This is a great place to live. We moved here two years ago and have enjoyed it from day 1. It is an interesting place, the Boulder of the East, lots of diversity. I am not a political person really but this is a funny political place. There is always a protest of something downtown which is a vibrant place, and Dennis Kucinich carried the city in the Democratic Primary.

The only problem is that there is only one local network station and so frequently I can't see the Big Orange if the **** Gamecocks are the other option and it is ACC country over here.

(GAVol @ Mar 31 said:
Exactly . . . Despite what you may hear, we absolutely DO NOT live in a democracy and the framers never intended for it to be as such.

True. I believe they also originally only wanted to give the right to vote to landowners. Which means today people who live off public assistance, probably wouldn't have a right to vote (their bias for more public assistance.) Landowners being perceived as the ones having the best interest in what was best for the country.

I'm probably going to get torched for saying it. :focus:

Better you getting torched than me :D , but I understand the sentiment.

Logic would seem to dictate that anyone receiving public assistance of any sort will just vote for whomever promises more entitlements.

since americans are mostly opposed to illegal immigration, how long do you guys think it will take W to start playing the national security card. i bet by the end of next week osama is going to bomb us or something other to try and scare americans to get what he wants. he does it everytime the people don't see things his way.

(oklavol @ Mar 31 said:
True. I believe they also originally only wanted to give the right to vote to landowners. Which means today people who live off public assistance, probably wouldn't have a right to vote (their bias for more public assistance.) Landowners being perceived as the ones having the best interest in what was best for the country.

I'm probably going to get torched for saying it. :focus:

There is no right to vote anywhere in the constitution or the Bill of Rights. I would love to see the reemergance of exams at polling sights, allowing only those who actually understand how our government works to participate in the naming of government officials.

Ahh, a little Jim Crow action, I think that's southern tradition of some sort.

Let's hope those days have passed.

Well Im jumping in here late and I dont feel like reading all of the stuff you guys are arguing about so I just want to voice my opinon on some politics as they are right now.

first i will start off with the war. I dont really see why people are so down on bush about this war. EVERYONE wanted to go to war after 9/11. Personally I felt if anything we were to late. We should have tried to end terrorism along time ago in desert storm when we had the chance. People didnt really start freaking out intill our fellow countrymen starting dieing in war. yeah its a shame, but come on, they are part of the united states military, if your scared to die or dont want to be in that position, its not like anyone forced you to join. overall the war has been a sucess trying to knock out terrorism and in 15 to 20 years people will see just how much of a difference this has made for the world. I think there will be pros and cons from this war, but overall terrorism needed to be stoped.

ok imigration bill.... i really dont want to get started on this one. I am very bias from my past experinces with mexicans. Now I know our country was built on immigration, but come on and be real here, you just cant expect the united states to turn its back to people crossing into the united states illegally. I have a feeling one of these days they are going to cross illegally and something bad is going to happen and everyone is going to wish we had stricter policies.....

ok now to Bush. He may not be the most smartest president when it comes to words and the phrases he uses, but you have to respect the man. the only thing he has really dropped the ball on was hurricane katrina. he has had to make more important decisions then any president the last 15 years. He has made a mistake once or twice, but overall he is a good leader of our country.

ok im done now.

I'm interested in the liberal point of view, it's always better to know thy enemy. Please direct me to websites, columnists, etc. that YOU go to on a regular basis. Don't send me to moveon.org, already been there or NOW unless you are a feminist. I want to see what you are reading. Since you know I'm a conservative, here are mine:

click on the underlined links:

Townhall
scroll down to columnists, I read the following:
Mike Adams, criminology professor at UNC Wilmington, if you are a liberal and don't like sarcasm, don't read him.
Thomas Sowell, economics professor and writer, he is a black conservative, grew up in poor, rural North Carolina and graduated from Harvard
Michelle Malkin, I'm a sucker for hot, female, conservatives, she's one of them
David Limbaugh, his main issue these days is liberalism at the University level, is taking on Ward Churchill in debates coming up.
Larry Elder, another black conservative, good read
Herman Cain, another black conservative...why do I like reading columnists from black conservatives you might ask, the answer is simple, how courageous must it be to break out of the mold? How would you like to be referred to as "Some skin, ain't kin" simply because you don't follow the black democratic agenda led by Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton? Read their articles and you will read what you don't expect.
Ann Coulter, another hot blonde, conservative columnist, if you don't like sarcasm, don't read her articles.

Real Clear Politics
More of a search engine for articles, it doesn't necessarily only pick conservative articles, it does a good job of mixing in the New York Times columns on a regular basis, they are always on topic though and it is important to see what is being written.

Neal Boortz
I hit Boortz every weekday, he has a blog. He is best described as a Libertarian, however, he is conservative in his viewpoints. He is common sense and that is why I like him. No whining allowed.

(Volunteer @ Apr 2 said:
Neal Boortz
He is best described as a Libertarian, however, he is conservative in his viewpoints.

Come on now, you might be confusing people on this board with that sentence. Libertarians are conservative, much more conservative than Republicans.

The Green Party is to the Democratic Party as the Libertarian Party is to the Republican Party.

i stick mostly with cnn, i like lou dobbs because he is the only one not afraid to say what is the truth. wolf blitzer is good too. i watch fox news to get the republican side of things eventhough most of the time i do not agree with them. i like to get both views to any topic to see which of the guys are more off base.

i usually stay away from links they are to one sided. like i said i like to get a perspective from more of a neutral party or watching a left and a right debate. you seem to get more facts and info than going to a democrat link saying all republican's are evil or going to a republican link saying the democrats are going to get us blown up. to me they seem to dilute the truth along the way.

Smokedog, hate to tell you but if all you are watching is CNN, then your getting the liberal slant...

That's what I was asking for, other places where you guys go to get information and opinion. I definitely hit conservative websites and maybe I should branch out a little bit.

Irregardless of ''slant''

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like the problems this nation faces today are so complex, so deep that no 1 party, in fact no 1 person has the resources, the authority to make the decisions required to fix everything? Im worried that the disease's symptoms are being treated and not cured, I feel this country is sick and there are so many people involved in the decision making that the problems will never be solved because all these people in offices around the country are so interwoven in the system they're powerless to make the decisions without the agreement of a majority, and therefore nothing significant gets done because of party/personal agendas. Its why I don't get excited about politics, I find it depressing but worse I think it could be a downward spiral we're in and eventually they'll be a book''The fall of America'' or a monachy will have to happen. All it takes is for the infrastucture of services to collapse and people turn into animals(post Katrina area). It's scary and depressing IMO.

VN Store

Back