Happy when Dawn Staley is not

Dawn Staley has proven herself to be a great recruiter... but there is nothing special about her as a bench coach. She was lucky to avoid UConn to win the one championship that they have... and she will be searching for #2 for a very long time.
It’s funny how people are blaming Dawn. I’m starting to think it’s jealousy or hate her message. Her players didn’t execute down the stretch and it had nothing to do with Dawn’s coaching. She’s an excellent coach and will continue to dominate the SEC until someone stop her on a consistent basis. We should be more concerned about the Lady Vols evolution instead of the next team and coach

It’s funny how people are blaming Dawn. I’m starting to think it’s jealousy or hate her message. Her players didn’t execute down the stretch and it had nothing to do with Dawn’s coaching. She’s an excellent coach and will continue to dominate the SEC until someone stop her on a consistent basis. We should be more concerned about the Lady Vols evolution instead of the next team and coach
You can be concerned with more than one thing at a time. I don't think she is a very good in-game coach. It's nothing personal.

amen again!! v rediculous

Reactions: Peas29
Honestly, you (fans) are one of the reasons Dawn gets shade. Your arrogance and in your face taunts turn people off on the whole program. SC fan character was on full display after your game. When Haley Jones left her side court interview after the game, she was boo'd by a considerable number of fans. I doubt Stanford fans would boo their star.

I don't think LV fans dislike Dawn. She used to be a diva but has grown out of it. The backlash is because no one likes fans of other teams coming to their forum and taunting them.

THIS IS IT! For me it’s the fans and their attitudes. I’ve never gotten into it with fans of other programs on Twitter like I have with South Carolina fans, not even UCONN fans.

Like I’ve said before, they have a UCONN attitude WITHOUT the championships! They expect people to kiss their a** and we’re just not going to do it. We have EIGHT championships in our bag, no matter how old they are, and no matter how bad we’ve been since then, we’re not going to praise and worship another program. I love Dawn as a person, she’s a champion for the culture right now in women’s basketball and has done an AMAZING coaching job to bring South Carolina from the SEC cellar, but Jesus Christ, the fans make it SO hard to like the program!

THIS IS IT! For me it’s the fans and their attitudes. I’ve never gotten into it with fans of other programs on Twitter like I have with South Carolina fans, not even UCONN fans.

Like I’ve said before, they have a UCONN attitude WITHOUT the championships! They expect people to kiss their a** and we’re just not going to do it. We have EIGHT championships in our bag, no matter how old they are, and no matter how bad we’ve been since then, we’re not going to praise and worship another program. I love Dawn as a person, she’s a champion for the culture right now in women’s basketball and has done an AMAZING coaching job to bring South Carolina from the SEC cellar, but Jesus Christ, the fans make it SO hard to like the program!
They are a lot like LSU fans from 12 to 15 years ago. They act like they have won a lot more than what they really have. They have one championship. Good lord.

Her team will be even better next year so ok buddy whatever gets your rocks off. I would worry about your team making it past the second round next year JS.
Yep, #2, #3, #4 coming your way (and also a few more down the top100. It’s impressive really. So impressive I think someone needs to take a closer look into it 🧐💰

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I'm a Dawn Staley fan. I welcome comments on this board from SC fans. Remember, 1 or 2 people don't represent all Volnation posters. I hate it when someone tells other posters "We" dont want you here. They speak only for themselves not for the majority.

Honestly, you (fans) are one of the reasons Dawn gets shade. Your arrogance and in your face taunts turn people off on the whole program. SC fan character was on full display after your game. When Haley Jones left her side court interview after the game, she was boo'd by a considerable number of fans. I doubt Stanford fans would boo their star.

I don't think LV fans dislike Dawn. She used to be a diva but has grown out of it. The backlash is because no one likes fans of other teams coming to their forum and taunting them.

I only replied because of the remarks thrown at Dawn. Normally I’m very cordial here. Don’t act like I’m always causing a raucous here because that’s certainly not the case.

Totally salute Dawn. Her efforts, her college career, her time in the W, was so hopeful when she came to the Comets that they’d win. Wanted to come here to support her, then read this thread and I dare say the SC fans try their saddest to make you dislike them. Was at the final 4 games last night and only I the first game had a very difficult time choosing a team to stick with. The last seconds were so dramatic. Those SC young ladies put every bit of themselves out there, and afterward my heart ached. Zia Cooke is amazing. When she collapsed my heart did too. They fought so hard. I hope that they have enough to swat back UConn in the next few years. I don’t know that anyone else will.

If you go by how Stanford dominated Arizona during their previous meetings ( 81-54 and 62-48 ) the real championship may have been decided with their one point victory over SC. That said it's hard to beat a team three times in one season.

Looking forward to next year when UConn plays in Columbia before a screaming horde of thousands. South Carolina returns all 2021 starters and adds the #2, #3, #4 and #14 nationally ranked recruits. Russell is leaving and might be a good pickup if she can tone down her aggressiveness.

Vol fans help me understand the personal animosity toward Dawn and the SC WBB program. I understand the mutual fan rancor. But what has Dawn or the SC players done to warrant so much animosity from some (not all) LV fans. So she hung a banner you didn't like and you've made fun of it unmercifully. But what has Dawn said or done to the LV program? Has she not always been respectful towards the LV program, players and coaches? Has she not been respectful towards Pat Summitt and her legacy? Has she not called the LV program the gold standard in the SEC and WBB in general? Have her players been disrespectful in some way? Yes they play physical as is their style but they don't play dirty as one poster implied. If you have proof otherwise of what I have said please give it. I suspect I know the reason but I hope I'm wrong because I don't think that reason reflects well.

The same reason we didn't like Spurrier and Florida, or Saban and Bama, or Geno and UConn. They are/were our main rival or our major obstacle, we fear they may threaten our record, etc.. Take criticism as a weird way of showing respect.

The same reason we didn't like Spurrier and Florida, or Saban and Bama, or Geno and UConn. They are/were our main rival or our major obstacle, we fear they may threaten our record, etc.. Take criticism as a weird way of showing respect.

South Carolina fans had little use for Spurrier before he became our coach. If Dawn suddenly became the coach at Tenn. you all would embrace her just like we embraced "Darth Visor".

amen.. no sure the hate about dawn.. She took Temple and turned them into a winner.. she has taken SC and done the same.. maybe if TN would stop trying to hire someone who played for and looks like Pat Summit we might be winners again.
I couldn’t agree more

amen.. no sure the hate about dawn.. She took Temple and turned them into a winner.. she has taken SC and done the same.. maybe if TN would stop trying to hire someone who played for and looks like Pat Summit we might be winners again.
Coach Harper will do good things at Tennessee in my opinion

Yep, #2, #3, #4 coming your way (and also a few more down the top100. It’s impressive really. So impressive I think someone needs to take a closer look into it 🧐💰
On prospect nation her recruits are 2, 8, 13, and 55. On Blue Star they are 6, 13, 16, 32.
Compare that to UConn who is 1, 3, 6, 9 on Prospect Nation and 1,4,7,11 on Blue Star.
Hoop Gurlz is just one opinion site although it is the most common reference.

Dawn gets shade for comments like, "It was the ball." A coach blaming the ball for a loss is a first for me. Who ever has put up a we're #1 banner and putting Aja in bronze. As far as being a good coach, in what universe does Aaliyah Boston average 11 shots a game and at least 30% of those shot were because of her own offensive rebounds and not in game planning. Most players have what is referred to as a sophomore bump where they improve dramatically over their freshman year. All of Aaliyah's numbers went down except for minutes her sophomore year. Excellent recruiter but coach, not so much.

Last edited:
Of all threads to choose from, it's strange that you chose this one to say stupid things about the Lady Vols, but since you did....

South Carolina 68
Tennessee 75
Final

February 18, 2021
south_carolina.png

MAR 6 (SAT) 6:30 P.M. ET (APPROX) ESPNU LADY VOL NETWORK

VS
SOUTH CAROLINA
L, 52-67

south_carolina.png

MAR 6 (SAT) 6:30 P.M. ET (APPROX) ESPNU LADY VOL NETWORK

VS
SOUTH CAROLINA
L, 52-67
The post which I was replying to, specifically said that Tennessee had "a long way to go to be competitive" with the best teams in the SEC, including South Carolina. I didn't claim that Tennessee was better than South Carolina, or that they even win a majority of the time they play (because they don't). However, it is ridiculous for someone to come to a Tennessee fan forum and suggest that the Lady Vols aren't even "competitive" with South Carolina, since Tennessee beat them less than two months ago. I was just pointing that out. If you want to kiss the butts of South Carolina fans on here? Then go ahead. It's your lack of dignity.... not mine.

... And it's still 8-1!

Like I’ve said before, they have a UCONN attitude WITHOUT the championships!
Good for them. If that exact thing was said about our team, we'd own it as pride and confidence. Besides, they absolutely are the current reigning rulers of the SEC and the only league team to consistently be among natty contenders. Gives em some bragging rights.
They expect people to kiss their a** and we’re just not going to do it.
Good for us. Shows we've developed pride and confidence. Well earned, since we declined to kiss and instead kicked one time this season.
, but Jesus Christ, the fans make it SO hard to like the program!
Said every fan outside LV nation for forever. I'd be disappointed if it were different. Part of the fun.

No question Dawn has down a great, probably legendary job of powerhouse program building. But I'm tired of her, in the way the former champ is tired of hearing the greatness of the new champ. Therefore everything annoys me, from the over bannering to the fawning love vignettes during the tourney to her sideline whiney face, which to her credit is not nearly as annoying as Kim Sulky's. When we're on top again, I'll adore and honor Dawn I'm sure. For me, it's that simple.

VN Store

Back