Gwen Jackson post on the Lady Vols Facebook page

madtownvol

Perspective of a former LV great (from her FB profile, this seems to be the real GJ):

[The impetus was someone complaining that there was too much drama after the MissST loss]

We are losing! There are no dramatics! I want to see my team win. We will not accept losing. Anyone that accepts-losing is not a true competitor. It has never been ok for Lady Vols to lose and it’s not ok now. However, we must continue to be positive and look for change. I’m a LV4L #13 I have blood sweat and tears and UT. So I can say from a players perspective it is hard it will be challenging but we are getting our bits beat and it’s not because of talent. They are young and I will support them always but accepting a losing mentality I will not. We must be honest with our girls. They are under achieving but I say that from a real place and a caring place. We have to support them but also be tough. When UT is looking at not making it into the ncaa tournament that is tough and not good. Freshman Through Senior we need all of them and we need to support them but be honest as well as respectful. They want it and this will show them that they gotta work for it and they will get there I know they will. However give constructive criticism not bash them if people wanna bash then support a new team you ride with your team good and bad not just when it’s good. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for supporting them and I appreciate your passion. They will get there. But it will come with support and hard work on and off the court. That stage is big. It’s not easy at all trust me I’ve been there.

Perspective of a former LV great (from her FB profile, this seems to be the real GJ):

[The impetus was someone complaining that there was too much drama after the MissST loss]

We are losing! There are no dramatics! I want to see my team win. We will not accept losing. Anyone that accepts-losing is not a true competitor. It has never been ok for Lady Vols to lose and it’s not ok now. However, we must continue to be positive and look for change. I’m a LV4L #13 I have blood sweat and tears and UT. So I can say from a players perspective it is hard it will be challenging but we are getting our bits beat and it’s not because of talent. They are young and I will support them always but accepting a losing mentality I will not. We must be honest with our girls. They are under achieving but I say that from a real place and a caring place. We have to support them but also be tough. When UT is looking at not making it into the ncaa tournament that is tough and not good. Freshman Through Senior we need all of them and we need to support them but be honest as well as respectful. They want it and this will show them that they gotta work for it and they will get there I know they will. However give constructive criticism not bash them if people wanna bash then support a new team you ride with your team good and bad not just when it’s good. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for supporting them and I appreciate your passion. They will get there. But it will come with support and hard work on and off the court. That stage is big. It’s not easy at all trust me I’ve been there.
“Look for change”. I like that she put those 3 words in the post.

I think you might be able to say after this season that this was the worst season in modern Lady Vol basketball history. Still time to turn it around win most of the remaining games. Do well in the SEC tournament and make a run in the NCAA. There is also the great chance that we don't even make the tourney which should mean a different direction for the program new leadership a fresh start and approach.

Reactions: T.J.
Are numbers being kept on volume of UT students showing up for home games? Any comparisons to other years?

Very few have really bashed the players. Their attitude is not something that young players can often fix on their own. The problems with this side of team are that the older team members have had this attitude ingrained over the last few seasons and they are or will be little help correcting attitudes. If these girls are anywhere near as good as thought coming in, then they must be frustrated and disappointed. Changing now may save bigger problems that may be staring the program in the face in the near future. It looks like some are "playing out the season". Remember, it is really easy to transfer now days. Losing what looks like good talent and likely recruits is a good possibility by doing nothing now. MAKE THE MOVE!!!!!

Reactions: BreatheUT
Hoping the AD can see the real solution isn't another year etc. It is past time.

Yes, we must support...they very young and will get better...Even with the loss to State, I saw improvement and more confidence in the young players...this team does not fear the challenge, but still young for it...They will get better, we must support and also hope for a REAL change...Go LVFL ✌🤙🍊

I think you might be able to say after this season that this was the worst season in modern Lady Vol basketball history. Still time to turn it around win most of the remaining games. Do well in the SEC tournament and make a run in the NCAA. There is also the great chance that we don't even make the tourney which should mean a different direction for the program new leadership a fresh start and approach.

When I coached I always placed the responsibility of the program on my back and not upon the backs of the players. Throwing players under the bus and giving the coach a pass is failure to face reality. As a head coach it is your job to right a sinking ship, if you cannot, then you need to move out of the way and allow someone else to take over. It is selfish and unfair to continue to coach when what you are doing is simply not working. Sometimes you have to admit that you gave it your all but it just was not good enough. Sometimes, though you have the love and passion for a program, the best thing a coach can do for the success of a program, is to move over and allow someone else to take over. At this point I think Holly is at that crossroad.

When I coached I always placed the responsibility of the program on my back and not upon the backs of the players. Throwing players under the bus and giving the coach a pass is failure to face reality. As a head coach it is your job to right a sinking ship, if you cannot, then you need to move out of the way and allow someone else to take over. It is selfish and unfair to continue to coach when what you are doing is simply not working. Sometimes you have to admit that you gave it your all but it just was not good enough. Sometimes, though you have the love and passion for a program, the best thing a coach can do for the success of a program, is to move over and allow someone else to take over. At this point I think Holly is at that crossroad.
Especially after it is repeated for several years in a row when do you make a decision who is at fault. That is why I despise people getting jobs that have been with Tennessee for so long you never want to fire them even when it is the right thing to do. If it was anybody other than Holly they would've been gone long before now.

Unless I missed it, she did not mention Holly at all, only the kids. She didn’t mind the drama, just the bashing of the kids. The drama fell basically into two camps, blame the players or blame the coach. She spoke up in support of the kids. She could have also stood up for Holly who is getting the most anger, but did not. Her silence about that, speaks more than anything she said.

Reactions: NoBackBoard

Great article by a former player. She covered everything except CHW as a coach. She just did not comment on it period that says more than anything else. That to me tells the much of the story. Kara Lawson or Kelly Jolly Harper come home and let's get the LV back on track again.

Will she admit to poor coaching?

Probably not since she had CHW as an assistant coach. Noted that she just plane ignored any comments on the coaching. If you do not have anything good to say, it tells a whole lot about the coaching situation.

I haven't seen anyone bashing the players but if they are they shouldn't be. Holly is the problem plain and simple.

Especially after it is repeated for several years in a row when do you make a decision who is at fault. That is why I despise people getting jobs that have been with Tennessee for so long you never want to fire them even when it is the right thing to do. If it was anybody other than Holly they would've been gone long before now.

You need to look no further than professional team sports. It is rare when the team is not performing well or under achieving that administrators go to the superstar(s) on the team and appeal to them to do better. The head coach or managers get fired first, that is who has to go. We've seen some teams rehire people they fired multiple times. look at the NY Yankees and Billy Martin for example. 7 years, we are getting progressively worse and the program which is iconic is being diminished every day. Phil, Holly goes on her terms, or you put a boot in her donkey, but someone else is running the Lady Vols next year if you want the program restored.

Reactions: teacherdean
I haven't seen anyone bashing the players but if they are they shouldn't be. Holly is the problem plain and simple.
She mentioned all the negativity along with the bashing of the coaching. The coaching staff is one of the reasons she chose UT along with the fans and I have a feeling she feels the fans aren’t living up to their end of the bargain.

She mentioned all the negativity along with the bashing of the coaching. The coaching staff is one of the reasons she chose UT along with the fans and I have a feeling she feels the fans aren’t living up to their end of the bargain.
Maybe the bargain She had is not the bargain we are now getting. For something to be a bargain, it needs to be something you want and will enjoy. This hasn't been happening since the Holly Follies!

Reactions: feathersax

lol yeah it's the fans fault. how dare they not be happy with a coach that has destroyed this once proud program.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
Hopefully, the parents of players will realize that the disgruntled fans have the players' best interests at heart. It's not just about wins and losses. If this team (and recent teams) appeared to be well-coached and were losing close, competitive games against elite teams, we would be more understanding. But when we see ragged, undisciplined results from top-rated recruits and a steady, year-by-year regression and overall decline of the most consistent program in WCBB history, that's a different story.

This situation isn't helping Holly, the players, the parents, or the fans. And if it happened at any of the top programs, there would be similar dissatisfaction and "negativity." When Pat was perceived to be a liabilty, even she was steered away from the program to avoid being a distraction. Holly was placed in the always-unenviable task of following the biggest icon the game has known. She had her shot, and now it's time for someone else to come in, stop the bleeding, and begin the recovery process. There's absolutely no indication that sticking with this same group of doctors will result in any positive outcome. We need a different diagnosis and prescribed treatment while there's stll life...not wait until an autopsy is the only action left.

In short, the fans have been patient and tried to remain patient. The outcry now is an effort to save the program and help the players, not hurt them.

Hopefully, the parents of players will realize that the disgruntled fans have the players' best interests at heart. It's not just about wins and losses. If this team (and recent teams) appeared to be well-coached and were losing close, competitive games against elite teams, we would be more understanding. But when we see ragged, undisciplined results from top-rated recruits and a steady, year-by-year regression and overall decline of the most consistent program in WCBB history, that's a different story.

This situation isn't helping Holly, the players, the parents, or the fans. And if it happened at any of the top programs, there would be similar dissatisfaction and "negativity." When Pat was perceived to be a liabilty, even she was steered away from the program to avoid being a distraction. Holly was placed in the always-unenviable task of following the biggest icon the game has known. She had her shot, and now it's time for someone else to come in, stop the bleeding, and begin the recovery process. There's absolutely no indication that sticking with this same group of doctors will result in any positive outcome. We need a different diagnosis and prescribed treatment while there's stll life...not wait until an autopsy is the only action left.

In short, the fans have been patient and tried to remain patient. The outcry now is an effort to save the program and help the players, not hurt them.
Well said!!!

In all seriousness, I question the hunger of top recruits that continue to ignore Holly's coaching malpractice and come/stay at Tennessee with her dumpster fire coaching capabilities. Are they perfectly content to throw away their careers playing for her? Or maybe it's true that Tennessee recruits a certain breed of soft players who don't have the drive to take it to the next level...

VN Store

Back