Gwen Jackson post on the Lady Vols Facebook page

In all seriousness, I question the hunger of top recruits that continue to ignore Holly's coaching malpractice and come/stay at Tennessee with her dumpster fire coaching capabilities. Are they perfectly content to throw away their careers playing for her? Or maybe it's true that Tennessee recruits a certain breed of soft players who don't have the drive to take it to the next level...

when you have to "eat crow", you tend to lose your appetite.
But you are still hungry

They're hungry
You see how relentless Evina has been and now how Rennia is.
Meme had her moments,
all of them have

The secret is to get them to the table at the same time,
wanting the same meal.

In all seriousness, I question the hunger of top recruits that continue to ignore Holly's coaching malpractice and come/stay at Tennessee with her dumpster fire coaching capabilities. Are they perfectly content to throw away their careers playing for her? Or maybe it's true that Tennessee recruits a certain breed of soft players who don't have the drive to take it to the next level...
Or they want to be part of the group that returns the program to glory. Why does everything have to be negative? It’s an honor to play for Tennessee.

Or they want to be part of the group that returns the program to glory. It’s an honor to play for Tennessee.
I made that comment a few years ago when people asked why they would stay or even go there. When you think about it the opportunity to bring a program back could be really enticing. Who knows what one liners the staff is using during recruiting. I doubt she's leading with the it's an honor to play for Tennessee line because most of these kids have options and could play anywhere. That's not gonna get them jazzed because Tennessee wasn't competing in FFs while these kids were being recruited. They haven't been to the Finals of the SEC Tourney since the current freshman were freshman in HS. It's been a while. Remember we live in a what have you done for me lately world. What they do have are facilities that can tell a beautiful story of accomplishment & enough players in the WNBA to use as a nudge.

"You could be the one to help us get back to the FF."
"We have a lot of talent already and we feel like your gifts will fit it right along with them."
"You'll be challenged in practice with a team full of other stars."
"Playing time is available if you work for it and you'll go up against some of the best in the country on National TV regularly in the SEC."

From a recruits perspective as long as you like the other kids there when you make your visit and believe in the staff why not go to Tennessee? You'll still be talked about, most top recruits have a chip on their shoulder and think they could be "the one" to get a team to a Natty anyway. That's an easy sell. You don't even have to talk about national championships or tourney trophies.

Most fans aren't thinking about it from a recruits perspective. I rarely hear kids say anything about wanting to improve their game at the next level as a reason for picking a certain school or liking the offense that school runs, or really anything when it comes to nuts and bolts about basketball. It's usually, I want to have a great experience, academics, I liked the players, or coaches, ect. One thing is for sure they LOVE Holly. The staff is really good at making personal emotional connections with players and that's why they recruit so well. I would imagine shes's so nice shes probably really easy to play for. Kids like that. You know a few things for sure when committing to Tennessee as a highly ranked recruit:

1. You will play.
2. You will be seen.
3. If you play well enough you'll get a shot at the WNBA.

So an SEC trophy or going far in the NCAA tourney are just bonuses. There is nothing wrong with that. For a highly ranked recruits there are a ton of reason to go to Tennessee.

I've thought about the "I'm the One" theory of why elite recruits would still come here. No doubt by the time they're being recruited they have a pretty healthy ego regarding their own talents.

That's where someone who thinks like a parent has to step in and inject the reality that several dozen other "Ones" have come and gone from this program in the last 5 years and left empty handed. You know other coaches are happy to point out to recruits the lack of development that goes on (or doesn't go on) around here.

I definitely think kids expect to improve over the coarse of their career. That healthy ego wants to be All-SEC. I also think kids and parents do look at offenses and where the kid might fit in.

So I remain mystified as to how we get anyone, much less an elite recruit with alot of choices. It's true, Holly must be really charming on the recruiting trail; they do seem to genuinely like her in spite of the tragically apparent fact she is not a very good coach.

Maybe she does get kids who want a buddy-type, nice guy coach, Don't want the in-your-face on-your tail yell and screamer. How's that working out?

Regarding Gwen's post, maybe I'm seeing what I want to see but I think she is indeed criticizing the coaching and agreeing exactly with what we've said endlessly around here - the program is crumbling before our eyes, its not acceptable, it's not because of the talent and the kids should hang in cuz change is coming! She's doing it in a really sweet, classy way because like everyone else, she really likes Holly as a person.

How else do you read "we're getting our bits beat and it's not the talent" . . .

Speaking of Gwen Jackson, she was the star of one of my fave LV games ever in I believe 2001. In front of about 20,000 fans (yep that use to happen alot) Gwen laid about 30 on Geno and his team and we beat them 92-88 in a classic game right after we lost Tamika Catchings for the season. Good times!

Regarding Gwen's post, maybe I'm seeing what I want to see but I think she is indeed criticizing the coaching and agreeing exactly with what we've said endlessly around here - the program is crumbling before our eyes, its not acceptable, it's not because of the talent and the kids should hang in cuz change is coming! She's doing it in a really sweet, classy way because like everyone else, she really likes Holly as a person.

How else do you read "we're getting our bits beat and it's not the talent" . . .

Speaking of Gwen Jackson, she was the star of one of my fave LV games ever in I believe 2001. In front of about 20,000 fans (yep that use to happen alot) Gwen laid about 30 on Geno and his team and we beat them 92-88 in a classic game right after we lost Tamika Catchings for the season. Good times!
I remember that...man have we been blessed to see some great teams, pushed and challenged by the best coach ever.

Perspective of a former LV great (from her FB profile, this seems to be the real GJ):

[The impetus was someone complaining that there was too much drama after the MissST loss]

We are losing! There are no dramatics! I want to see my team win. We will not accept losing. Anyone that accepts-losing is not a true competitor. It has never been ok for Lady Vols to lose and it’s not ok now. However, we must continue to be positive and look for change. I’m a LV4L #13 I have blood sweat and tears and UT. So I can say from a players perspective it is hard it will be challenging but we are getting our bits beat and it’s not because of talent. They are young and I will support them always but accepting a losing mentality I will not. We must be honest with our girls. They are under achieving but I say that from a real place and a caring place. We have to support them but also be tough. When UT is looking at not making it into the ncaa tournament that is tough and not good. Freshman Through Senior we need all of them and we need to support them but be honest as well as respectful. They want it and this will show them that they gotta work for it and they will get there I know they will. However give constructive criticism not bash them if people wanna bash then support a new team you ride with your team good and bad not just when it’s good. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for supporting them and I appreciate your passion. They will get there. But it will come with support and hard work on and off the court. That stage is big. It’s not easy at all trust me I’ve been there.

Obviously the Team and the Head Coach accepts losing

Holly will not admit that she is a poor coach. She said her mother told her that she is a good coach. Unfortunately, she lives in a "fools paradise" and believes her mother.

Did Holly really say that?

Even mothers of felons always say they are "good people".

In college basketball it's all on the head coach. She recruits them, she teaches them, she gives them the game plan, she calls the plays and makes the line up / substitutions. Any failure on the court goes back to her. When there is a failure, she needs to have answers, but she always says "I don't know". Worst answer ever.

Holly has risen to the level of her incompetence. I think she's a fine assistant but completely out of her element as a head coach. Once Pat's players were gone the winning culture was gone. Basketball teams tend to take on the personality of the head coach. This team looks lost, this coach looks lost.

Holly will not admit that she is a poor coach. She said her mother told her that she is a good coach. Unfortunately, she lives in a "fools paradise" and believes her mother.

Fr___, backs Holly like any Mom should and would.
She is a wonderful lady.
Try to not let this get personal.
She's a sweet lady who I know and will defend.

Reactions: ruvol

VN Store

Back