Guitars.. What you got?

It is an American made Martin with East Indian Rosewood back and sides with a Sitka spruce top. It has forward shifted scalloped X brace which is supposed to be identical to the bracing pattern on pre-war D-28s.
Very nice
Old friend of mine has a prewar
I have a cheapo Martin JM (jumbo mahogany) I paid about 800 for 20 years ago and I believe is discontinued
What kinda music u play?

Reactions: FïreBall
I looked back a few pages thinking there may be a thread like this already.. I didn't see one..

I own several guitars.. I wanted to share one I had built for me, I really like it.. Plays great and very versatile sounding..

It's a tele body (obviously) with a thinner cut body, has a tummy cut and I had the body edges rounded, wood is padauk for body and neck with madagascar ebony fret board, jumbo frets, Dimarzio paf at the neck and a Damrzio super distortion at the bridge. The body is unfinished and natural color. The neck has a natural waxy feel and is a 25.5 scale. To be thin.. This guitar still is on tbe heavy side.. ☺
View attachment 188518
I always liked the natural color or stained look
Dimarzio Super Distortions rule
I had some on my LP copy back in 80’s That sucker played better than my LP Standard

Very nice
Old friend of mine has a prewar
I have a cheapo Martin JM (jumbo mahogany) I paid about 800 for 20 years ago and I believe is discontinued
What kinda music u play?
I play a little bit of everything TBH. Jazz, Country, Rock, etc. Just whatever I'm in the mood to play at any given moment.

Reactions: Orangeburst
So, I am going to teach a good friend to play. Recommend an A/E in the sub-$1000 range.
I would highly recommend checking out Eastman guitars or Seagull guitars. Eastmans would be at the top end of your budget while Seagull would be lower.

Edit: Blueridge guitars are really nice as well in that price bracket.

So, we went to the local guitar shop and demoed guitars today. I came up with three favorite options at different price points.

$1000 - Taylor 214. My favorite hands-down. Plays and sounds like a guitar twice the price.

$750 - Martin DRS1, all Sepele. Nice warm tone with bright trebles for a Martin.

$600 - Breedlove Pursuit Concert. I wasn't quite as in love with the neck and action compared to the top 2, but it sounds good.

Note: he is left-handed, so options are a little more limited.

So, we went to the local guitar shop and demoed guitars today. I came up with three favorite options at different price points.

$1000 - Taylor 214. My favorite hands-down. Plays and sounds like a guitar twice the price.

$750 - Martin DRS1, all Sepele. Nice warm tone with bright trebles for a Martin.

$600 - Breedlove Pursuit Concert. I wasn't quite as in love with the neck and action compared to the top 2, but it sounds good.

You can't go wrong with Martin or Taylor.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
My thinking is also that, worst case scenario, he decides he can't/won't commit to practicing and learning and gives it up --much easier to sell a nicely-branded instrument, probably within a couple hundred dollars of what it cost new.

Reactions: Matt2496
Also considering the newer Taylor Academy 10 or 12, sans electronics. That would keep him in the $500 range. I haven't played one of those yet, though. I don't like the screwed-on neck of the Big Baby.

I don’t know. My buddy spent almost $2k on a Taylor and I’m not that impressed. I think if you buy a quality acoustic and have someone set it up perfect, it will do. I’ve played a Takamjne for the past 20 years. It was set up great and is a fraction of the price.

Reactions: rocytop2624

I bought a Breedlove Stage Concert CE.. I did have it professionally set up.. But I love this guitar.. But still gonna get me a Taylor..
20190117_174635.jpg

I always liked the natural color or stained look
Dimarzio Super Distortions rule
I had some on my LP copy back in 80’s That sucker played better than my LP Standard
I have several Dimarzios.. I have a strat with a Fast Track 2 in the bridge... Another strat with a Tone Zone S in the bridge.

I have a tele with HB in front and rear with Seymour Duncan P-Rails in bridge and neck position.. Got it wired with two DPDT knobs.. Can get a lot of sounds from this pickups.

I played in a cover band for a few years and wanted to be versatile for all the music we did.. This was a cool guitar for that.. But I really like my Dimarzios..

Reactions: Orangeburst
I'm left handed and play right handed.. So it can be done!
I'm reading about half one way, half the other. Playing standard would certainly make chord charts + tab easier, plus you could play other people's guitars ad lib. Many other instruments are bimanual (piano, brass, perc, etc), so maybe we will just go that route. He said he's open to it and has no prior experience.

I recently bought a Gibson vustom Zakk Wyld Bullseye Les Paul. Man those EMG pickups are mean. The thing plays like a dream. The fretboard is ultra fast feeling. It plays just as good as my 1968 Fender Strat.
I love that guitar. Pic!

87 gibson lp custom made to my specs. I was 13
72 blonde fender telecaster

My latest is a floral Ibanez jem. Got extremely lucky and ibanez hand made it for me. Thanks to mason at Sweetwater.
I’ll add pics tomorrow

Have an 84 Gibson explorer gibson sg steinberger.
Hand made two myself
Acoustics: Martin and a Taylor big baby. Probably leaving some out. And yes my collection deserves better hands

My latest is a floral Ibanez jem. Got extremely lucky and ibanez hand made it for me. Thanks to mason at Sweetwater.
I’ll add pics tomorrow

Hand made two myself
Acoustics: Martin and a Taylor big baby. Probably leaving some out. And yes my collection deserves better hands

I don’t know. My buddy spent almost $2k on a Taylor and I’m not that impressed. I think if you buy a quality acoustic and have someone set it up perfect, it will do. I’ve played a Takamjne for the past 20 years. It was set up great and is a fraction of the price.
I’m not a Taylor fan either too bright for me. Love my Martin although pickup needs work. I’m more of an electric guy tho

I’ll add pics tomorrow

Hand made two myself
I’ve been buying guitars a long time. How did you get Ibamez to “hand make” it for you?

VN Store

Back