Guitars.. What you got?

I’ve been buying guitars a long time. How did you get Ibamez to “hand make” it for you?
I didn’t. Mason told them how long (since the first jem) I had been waiting for one and they offered. My jem plays better than any guitar I have. I also was using it strictly for worship so I imagine some one else’s hands were all over it.

Larrivee D-09 Acoustic

Agile 3100 tobacco burst (modified with 59 Les Paul wiring and D'Marzio Super Distortion in the bridge and PAF 36 Anniversary in the neck)

Charvel San Dimas rocket red (HH modified with Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck in the bridge and '59 in the neck).

Gretsch G5220 Electromatic Jet BT Metallic Cherry (all stock) <----- Pound for pound, there's not a better sounding, per dollar spent guitar I've ever owned! This thing is glorious!

First lesson in the books!

The Seagull guitar is quite nice. It really feels and sounds like a more expensive instrument. The neck is a little wide for my liking, but it might actually be good for a beginner trying to cram in all those fingers! I tried to strum a couple of chords left-handed, and that made me empathize with my fledgling student.

Drawing chord diagrams backwards is tricky, but we are going to use standard tab, too.

I gave him about 8 open chords to learn, tuning and string note instruction, and the Am pentatonic scale for this week. Hopefully, we can come up with a couple of 3-4 chord songs for next week.

Anyone have experience with the Marshall CODE line? I've heard a couple of glowing recommendations for great, portable sound at a really affordable price.

Anyone have experience with the Marshall CODE line? I've heard a couple of glowing recommendations for great, portable sound at a really affordable price.
I bought the code 50 for a cheap practice amp here at home. Just use the clean setting though. Keep my pedals here

I bought the code 50 for a cheap practice amp here at home. Just use the clean setting though. Keep my pedals here
The 100 is marked down to $299 at Sweetwater. I ordered one with the foot switch.

So, finally finished with this project. Resurrected!
I bough this 94 P-bass for $40. It was rougher than three nights in jail. Covered in pet hair. New Seymour Duncan pick ups and new pots. New bone nut. Set up and plays great.
7FDA118E-F1A0-4988-85C5-52A889BCE2B5.jpegA0DC7F27-C182-4B48-9FF1-953D9616A112.jpeg

Last edited:
[VIDEO=]

Guitar player extraordinaire, Maddie Rice goes full git-fiddle geek on EMGtv.

Got a 1950’s Gibson parlor size acoustic, 1969 Yamaha FG300 red label, my current (on stage) guitar is a Takamine GN series acoustic/electric. Also have a few little ole beaters!

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Ha...Youze on a plane.
What you got dude? I started with a Hondo II 40 years ago.
I have a 74 Strat, an Ovation acoustic about the same vintage, (need a pickup for it) a Taylor 12 string and a Yamaha Silent String for practicing on the road. Thinking about a 7 string because I'm really interested in Brazilian music and other finger style. Any advice on that?

I'm starting to become a pedal head. When i get home I'll post a pic of my rig and get some advice on that. At this point, my gear far exceeds my talent, but I'm pretty focused on getting better. I want to play in a band so bad i can taste it, but hard to find one here in Fla that could use me.

I have a 74 Strat, an Ovation acoustic about the same vintage, (need a pickup for it) a Taylor 12 string and a Yamaha Silent String for practicing on the road. Thinking about a 7 string because I'm really interested in Brazilian music and other finger style. Any advice on that?

I'm starting to become a pedal head. When i get home I'll post a pic of my rig and get some advice on that. At this point, my gear far exceeds my talent, but I'm pretty focused on getting better. I want to play in a band so bad i can taste it, but hard to find one here in Fla that could use me.

Good deal. I thought you might just be starting out.
Not sure about 7 string as I have never even picked one up.

First lesson in the books!

The Seagull guitar is quite nice. It really feels and sounds like a more expensive instrument. The neck is a little wide for my liking, but it might actually be good for a beginner trying to cram in all those fingers! I tried to strum a couple of chords left-handed, and that made me empathize with my fledgling student.

Drawing chord diagrams backwards is tricky, but we are going to use standard tab, too.

I gave him about 8 open chords to learn, tuning and string note instruction, and the Am pentatonic scale for this week. Hopefully, we can come up with a couple of 3-4 chord songs for next week.
How has this worked out now that some time has passed?

I'm a big pedal guy too, and they can definitely help develop your creativity and skill as long as you don't use them as a crutch.

I've had my first 7 string for a few months now, and I've found that it's not too hard to pick up if you practice songs and such that utilize them. That's exactly why I bought a Scale The Summit book - band I'm familiar with, so I know what I'm working towards.

I'm not too privy on Brazilian/Latin music except for this dude my band played with a few years ago named Felix Martin. Granted, he has a very specialized type of guitar - extended range fused double neck. It's wild. Since we played with him, he's blown up and is a big time Kiesel artist now.

For improving your technique in general, go to Ben Eller's YouTube channel. He's a local TN guy, insanely talented, and makes THE BEST pedagogical guitar material IMO. He's worked with some big time acts and just has some of the best videos on the web IMO. Plus he's hilarious. Check him out now, ALL OF YOU!!!

I'm a big pedal guy too, and they can definitely help develop your creativity and skill as long as you don't use them as a crutch.

I've had my first 7 string for a few months now, and I've found that it's not too hard to pick up if you practice songs and such that utilize them. That's exactly why I bought a Scale The Summit book - band I'm familiar with, so I know what I'm working towards.

I'm not too privy on Brazilian/Latin music except for this dude my band played with a few years ago named Felix Martin. Granted, he has a very specialized type of guitar - extended range fused double neck. It's wild. Since we played with him, he's blown up and is a big time Kiesel artist now.

For improving your technique in general, go to Ben Eller's YouTube channel. He's a local TN guy, insanely talented, and makes THE BEST pedagogical guitar material IMO. He's worked with some big time acts and just has some of the best videos on the web IMO. Plus he's hilarious. Check him out now, ALL OF YOU!!!
When Tommy Emmanuel, Clapton, Derek Trucks, Mark Knopfler, etc, etc, pick up a guitar with more than 6 strings, I’ll entertain the notion. Until then, it just leaves me scratching my head.

When Tommy Emmanuel, Clapton, Derek Trucks, Mark Knopfler, etc, etc, pick up a guitar with more than 6 strings, I’ll entertain the notion. Until then, it just leaves me scratching my head.
I highly encourage you to push the boundaries of your creativity, and approach music with an open mind. It 100% will make you a better musician, and it will allow you to appreciate the continuation of musical development. It kind of blows my mind that our teeny tiny box of Western-style music with a mere 12-note chromatic scale still yields innovation in 2019.

I only found out a few months ago that some people are offended by extended range guitars, and that definitely makes me scratch my head.

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib

VN Store

Back