Guitars.. What you got?

Here’s the axe. I included a picture of the case as well because these are the best cases you can get. I absolutely love Hoffee Cases
I've had a couple Caltons that I really liked, but I'll finally have a Hoffee when my next guitar arrives in a few weeks. The luthier that built it really prefers Hoffee to Calton.

IMG_0112.jpeg
My JM ie Jumbo Mahogany. Bought it for $800 in 1997ish. Been discontinued.
Not the best action in world, had it setup but didnt last long. Think the Texas weather got it, but playable and decently intonated.Talk about thunderous baritone. Put lighter strings on it to give more brightness, but still very mid range at best and downright bass on low E. Probably good for a solo act.

I've had a couple Caltons that I really liked, but I'll finally have a Hoffee when my next guitar arrives in a few weeks. The luthier that built it really prefers Hoffee to Calton.
I love the way that they fit the guitar. Guitar is a tight fit with plenty of padding.

I love the way that they fit the guitar. Guitar is a tight fit with plenty of padding.
It's the same with a Calton. I wouldn't put an expensive acoustic guitar in anything other than a Calton or Hoffee. Humidity management is so much easier with cases that seal up like those do. I always struggled during the winter to keep the humidity in a safe zone and constantly was going back and forth with using wet sponges...even a humidipak couldn't keep up with the way other cases let the humidity escape. I've got my office closed off and a dyson humidifier now, so that helps a ton with all the electric guitars I have now, but I still have to have a Calton or Hoffee for nice acoustics...despite the cost, they provide a lot of peace of mind.

Reactions: VolKnight9
I never will forget my manager in Tyler in like 1995 invited me for dinner. His son started playing guitar and they wanted me to bring my LP. His son is holding it by the body upside down and dropped it on the kitchen floor about 2.5’ and it hit on the headstock and popped straight back up and he caught it. Thump.
Cant believe it didnt break the neck, especially since they are rather notorious as well as the entire body weight impacted. Glad they had linoleum..lol. Never will forget that.

I never will forget my manager in Tyler in like 1995 invited me for dinner. His son started playing guitar and they wanted me to bring my LP. His son is holding it by the body upside down and dropped it on the kitchen floor about 2.5’ and it hit on the headstock and popped straight back up and he caught it. Thump.
Cant believe it didnt break the neck, especially since they are rather notorious as well as the entire body weight impacted. Glad they had linoleum..lol. Never will forget that.
Wow. Those headstocks are eager to pop-off. I've stressed this to my son about his Les Paul Special.

My son has really taken off with his playing this year. Now, he is looking for his first electric. Problem is: he's a lefty, so my little collection is useless to him. He is thinking a Tele. Are the new $800 Player models decent? He's not able to drop $2000 right now.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Not yet. Have to wait for the guitar to be finished and then it will ship over from the UK in the Hoffee. I'm having tuner buttons and bridge pins made out of orange dyed burl and I haven't heard from the luthier how long that's going to take.
What kind of guitar did you order?

Is that comparable to an OM model Martin?
It's a unique body design that I think was originally based on an OM but the lower bout is wider at 16", the body is slightly longer, and the scale length is 25" instead of 25.4" on a Martin OM. The build is very different from a Martin and it is a much more modern sound and response for fingerstyle playing. Here's a photo of my guitar...minus the orange burl bridge pins and tuner buttons that are being made.
DSC09870.jpeg.jpg

Evening everyone..if you were spending 1000 on a guitar..electric acoustic...what would you get? Taylor 224 or 214 ot should I be looking at something different?

Evening everyone..if you were spending 1000 on a guitar..electric acoustic...what would you get? Taylor 224 or 214 ot should I be looking at something different?
I'm a huge Taylor fan, and your plan is exactly what I told a friend to do a couple of years ago when he learned to play during the CV19 nonsense. He was very pleased with the upgrade from his "starter" guitar.

Man, that Adam Jones silverburst Les Paul keeps calling to me like a Siren on the open sea...
I am confuded with LP branding..the Standard is not the same and called something else. Wonder why they use such a switch..

Padauk wood with an ebony fretboard must give it a unique tone, not to mention the cool look of the natural finish. I've got a few guitars myself, including a Strat I've modded over the years to try and capture that perfect blend of versatility and playability. It's fascinating how even small changes, like switching pickups or tweaking the setup, can really transform how a guitar feels and sounds.

If you're ever looking for more tips on guitar mods or want to dive deeper into different types of woods and their impact on tone, check out Boss GM-800 guitar synth pedal. They've got a ton of helpful insights and advice for guitar enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Other than the LP in my avatar, I have two strats, a tele and two acoustics. No pics right now. But hey here's a pic of me wearing an old UT jacket and standing on the corner of Haight/Ashbury back in 2015. That's kinda related to music.IMG_2878.JPG

VN Store

Back