Guest Picker for Gameday

But we were talking about making a difference for 17-18 year old college recruits. I guarantee you they know her FAR more than some random country artist. And now that GameDay has the Pat McAfee connection, that would make sense.
Recruits don't care about a guest picker who get 5-7min of airtime

Recruits don't care about a guest picker who get 5-7min of airtime

I agree. We are talking about the overall perception of the program etc. Trot out random country guy in a flannel shirt and cowboy hat and it is the same old "just a bunch of hillbillies". Dolly is the only country artist that transcends that. Peyton has scalps on the wall, is entertaining, and they see him on tv all the time. Somebody like Bianca Belair is 100% hype and entertainment. It's not for the recruits on campus so much, because they probably won't be watching. I would assume they would get to meet her, and they would MUCH more want to meet her than some flannel bro. Imagine them tweeting out pictures with her pre-game to their audiences and fellow players/recruits. Having her as guest picker makes people at home...those recruits that aren't there see her on tv or see her on Twitter on the set with those guys. Obviously a guest picker on Gameday isn't going to make somebody commit or not. It simply is a way to change the narrative and perception about the program.

I agree. We are talking about the overall perception of the program etc. Trot out random country guy in a flannel shirt and cowboy hat and it is the same old "just a bunch of hillbillies". Dolly is the only country artist that transcends that. Peyton has scalps on the wall, is entertaining, and they see him on tv all the time. Somebody like Bianca Belair is 100% hype and entertainment. It's not for the recruits on campus so much, because they probably won't be watching. I would assume they would get to meet her, and they would MUCH more want to meet her than some flannel bro. Imagine them tweeting out pictures with her pre-game to their audiences and fellow players/recruits. Having her as guest picker makes people at home...those recruits that aren't there see her on tv or see her on Twitter on the set with those guys. Obviously a guest picker on Gameday isn't going to make somebody commit or not. It simply is a way to change the narrative and perception about the program.
So wrestling is more cultured than country music?

You know this argument could only happen on an sec message board

So wrestling is more cultured than country music?

You know this argument could only happen on an sec message board

Where did I say cultured? You don't think having a good-looking, young, African-American female who does nothing but participate in over-the-top entertainment as a profession would be a better perception for changing the narrative of our program over random, cookie-cutter flannel bro? The discussion was about moving the needle with recruits, and I guarantee you they would rather see her than flannel bro. Does a recruit sign here because of that....absolutely not. It would simply chip away at the narrative that we are a bunch of hillbilly hicks.

Honestly, I think the easy answer is Candace Parker.

Just say no to flannel bros!!!!

Where did I say cultured? You don't think having a good-looking, young, African-American female who does nothing but participate in over-the-top entertainment as a profession would be a better perception for changing the narrative of our program over random, cookie-cutter flannel bro? The discussion was about moving the needle with recruits, and I guarantee you they would rather see her than flannel bro. Does a recruit sign here because of that....absolutely not. It would simply chip away at the narrative that we are a bunch of hillbilly hicks.

Cultured was implied when you said it would help us escape the hillbilly label. You just think some random black lady on tv for 5min is going to accommodate that and move any needle for recruits. It's kinda ridiculous once you break it down.

We're Tennessee and should embrace it. We have a coon hound and Davy Crockett leading our cheers. We have a bluegrass fight song talking about killing feds that mess with our moonshine. No need to try and class up the joint now

ESPN doesn't give a damn about boosting our recruiting. They only care about ratings. Dolly would boost ratings.

Cultured was implied when you said it would help us escape the hillbilly label. You just think some random black lady on tv for 5min is going to accommodate that and move any needle for recruits. It's kinda ridiculous once you break it down.

We're Tennessee and should embrace it. We have a coon hound and Davy Crockett leading our cheers. We have a bluegrass fight song talking about killing feds that mess with our moonshine. No need to try and class up the joint now

I have said over and over, this will not cause us to get over the top with a recruit. It is perception. Winning, putting a good product on the field, sending kids to the NFL are undoubtedly the biggest things that matter, but stuff like this matters over the long-run. Perception is everything. Which one of these scream "hillbilly" to you.

GameDay1mw.jpg GameDay2bb.jpg

What's wrong with being a hillbilly? Most of the "hillbilly" people I know are some damn good people and a far cry better than most city folks. I guess if people dont like being lumped in with "hillbillies" they can always move to NY. JMO tho

I have said over and over, this will not cause us to get over the top with a recruit. It is perception. Winning, putting a good product on the field, sending kids to the NFL are undoubtedly the biggest things that matter, but stuff like this matters over the long-run. Perception is everything. Which one of these scream "hillbilly" to you.

View attachment 492710 View attachment 492712
Honestly? Both

But neither move the needle in a 3hr commercial

What's wrong with being a hillbilly? Most of the "hillbilly" people I know are some damn good people and a far cry better than most city folks. I guess if people dont like being lumped in with "hillbillies" they can always move to NY. JMO tho

Not a thing....proud to be one myself. The discussion had turned to helping with recruits and I said that random flannel bro doesn't help our perception with recruits like other choices.

My top 3, in order....

Dolly
Samuel L
Peyton

I think we are (hopefully) now in a place where Game Day visits become a regular occurrence. Games with Florida, Georgia and Bama will all be of National relevance as the Vols regain greatness. So, by that rational, most everyone on our list should get their shot before too long.

Not a thing....proud to be one myself. The discussion had turned to helping with recruits and I said that random flannel bro doesn't help our perception with recruits like other choices.
I see your point but at the same time, it is kind of who we are. We're more about tradition and being Volunteers than being flashy. Like I said, that is my opinion, and yes, I'm old school and probably out of touch :)

Reactions: volinSmyrna
Candice Parker would attract both of WNBA's fans.

That one deserves a 2 gif reply....lol!!!!

200w.gif

clapping-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

My top 3, in order....

Dolly
Samuel L
Peyton

I think we are (hopefully) now in a place where Game Day visits become a regular occurrence. Games with Florida, Georgia and Bama will all be of National relevance as the Vols regain greatness. So, by that rational, most everyone on our list should get their shot before too long.
Realistically, the best game of the week could actually involve the Vols 4 times…

September 24 vs Florida #11 vs #20
October 15 vs Alabama #10 vs #2
October 29 vs Kentucky #4 vs #5
November 5 @ Georgia #1 vs #2

If things shook out exactly how we want them to, it’s possible. They’d be really dumb to not be in Knoxville for the 1st three if all teams are undefeated and Athens for the last one. That would actually be hilarious.

VN Store

Back