Guarantano or Dobbs?

Good morning Vol Nation,

A question has been on my mind about which QB is better, Guarantano or Dobbs? Guarantano to me has very high potential and had a solid completion rating last year with far fewer interceptions than Dobbs' senior year. Dobbs came up big in a lot of games for us but also had AK, Hurd and a better OL to help him out. If you place Guarantano with the same group of guys surrounding Dobbs, who would you think would walk away with the starting job?
For me it is too hard to speculate. All I can do is compare Dobbs second year with JG’s, but Dobbs only played half of a season. I think you will find a better answer to this question after JG’s Junior season. Right now, I’m taking Dobbs. But by the end of two seasons from now, JG could certainly be better than Dobbs was, but different.

Dobbs was an outstanding QB and a great leader. I think that kind of leadership is a lot of what Tennessee has been missing. I think as time passes he will be looked at as one of the best QBs to play for Tennessee.
He already is...

Screw it.

Gaurantano is better! Top 100 player when we recruited him.

Why can't some of you get out of the past? this is not a fair question nor does it result in anything positive. Dobbs had a whole different team around him vs. JG...........I don't think its fair to do this to JG. So, if JG has a All American season............what then? Remember..........Dobbs was sucking wind when he started.

Let's stop all this "if and buts" in the past.........this is kind of the main challenge with some of the UT Fans, their heads are still stuck in the 1990s.
Awwwwww, poor JG

Reactions: FlyFishnVol
If I had to take the last year of Dobbs or the last year of JG, I would take Dobbs.

Which I'm assuming is the question. The only reason people are in here extrapolating the next two years of JG is because they know in 2019 the best we've seen from Dobbs is better than the best we've seen from JG.

I hope JG does well but I’d drop his ass in a heart beat for Dobbs. That has to be the dumbest question I’ve heard in a while.

I'd drop just about anyone save Peyton or Shuler for Dobbs.

I am not one to say I'd want to see him playing on those past teams, but what I wouldn't give to see him on a Fulmer coached team. It also sucks that the bricklayer kept having to pull his RS due to injuries, although it was probably a blessing in disguise because it would've hid the head coach's weakness and we probably would still be stuck with Jones.

I'd drop just about anyone save Peyton or Shuler for Dobbs.

Not me. I can probably think of five or ten former Tennessee quarterbacks I would rather have than Dobbs.

But he had that special ability to turn nothing into something. And that was just what we needed during the years he was here, what with no offensive line to speak of.

His passing was too erratic to put him up there with the greats. But his will to win can be compared favorably to any of them, and his running ability was pretty much second to none.

He just flat-out refused to lose.

VN Store

Back