Guarantano or Dobbs?

Manning2020

Good morning Vol Nation,

A question has been on my mind about which QB is better, Guarantano or Dobbs? Guarantano to me has very high potential and had a solid completion rating last year with far fewer interceptions than Dobbs' senior year. Dobbs came up big in a lot of games for us but also had AK, Hurd and a better OL to help him out. If you place Guarantano with the same group of guys surrounding Dobbs, who would you think would walk away with the starting job?

Reactions: LittleVol
giphy.gif

Good morning Vol Nation,

A question has been on my mind about which QB is better, Guarantano or Dobbs? Guarantano to me has very high potential and had a solid completion rating last year with far fewer interceptions than Dobbs' senior year. Dobbs came up big in a lot of games for us but also had AK, Hurd and a better OL to help him out. If you place Guarantano with the same group of guys surrounding Dobbs, who would you think would walk away with the starting job?
Potential NEVER won a game..... Take Dobbs; his potential proved itself many times.

Dobbs. He was special. We didn't realize it at the time, but not only did he have to cover up for a bad line, he also had to cover up for bad coaching and bad team management. You put him on a stable team, and give him a quality QB coach and consistent strength and conditioning program for 4 years, he probably does compete for a Heisman or some other type of awards. Definitely an All-american. His own team and culture held him back. He's the reason Butch got 5 years.

Dobbs, by a country mile. I underestimated Dobbs until I saw him in person. I was shocked by his size and this was the game where Florida couldn’t tackle him (2015 I think). Alpha dudes and elite NFL players like Antonio Morrison and Keanu Neal just bouncing off of him. Dobbs didn’t light it up passing that day but he ran for a million yards and even caught a TD pass as I recall. I never underestimated him again after that game, and sure enough he kicked UF’s butt the following year. Total respect for that guy.

Not close.

Dobbs has heisman talent had he played for even a semi competent team.

JG can be good, we will see, but at this point in time, this isn’t even a discussion.

Problem with this question is, the book hasn't been written on JG's college career yet.

Halfway through Josh Dobbs' college years, half the people on these boards didn't think much of him. He was just as divisive a debate as JG is today.

Dobbs proved the naysayers wrong by the time he graduated. Heck, that one touchdown run in the bowl game against Northwestern all by itself turned a lot of them around.

So let's give Guarantano time to finish his book. Then we can ask this question in a much more meaningful way.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back