Guarantano - interesting factoid

Some on here just like to bash all those who tried their best but couldn't achieve.

The JG bashers are also the Butch bashers. Let it go, they did their best and now they are gone. Some of you are low-down cowards.

Just an observer - my dad was a coach and so I grew up a gym rat and the good and bad that comes with that. I am not that observant, but I recognize when all of our starting pitchers are 5' 9" 165 lbs and throw 85 mph and/or pre Bruce Pearl and Coach Barnes when our assist to turnover ratio becomes a turnover to assist ratio and the ball and the players don't move or pass the ball; I recongnize that there are fundamental problems. That is why it is at times mystifying to me that what seems obvious others can't or don't see and think it ( gives us our best chance to win ). It happens every day in sports - but seldom to the degree we witnessed it the past few years.

Reactions: mercuryvol
He played against IMG as a senior and tore them up. You can find the highlights on YouTube. College coaches loved his potential because he had a great arm and showed good mobility in high school. It's why Urban Meyer wanted him really bad. I think his biggest issue coming into college that he never got over was that he could never get over the bad plays. He looked great at the elite 11 7-on-7 event until he missed a couple of throws and you could see him getting really down and he never recovered. Add to that the epic physical beatings he took early in his career and constantly having to learn a new offense. I don't think he ever had a chance. I could see it turning out a lot differently had he chose Ohio State. I know a lot of people are never going to be convinced that he could be anything but terrible, but I think Tennessee just ended up being a bad fit for him...although there was no way to see what was coming.

Nice rundown on his recruitment. But, I have serious doubts that OSU would have been a good lander. Wasnt that @ the time they won the natty and had like 3 QBs that started to get em there. All 3 were in another stratosphere and then OSU seemed to keep landing good ones. Maybe he makes it w Urban's coaching, but I have my doubts.

Since Meyer is now with Jacksonville, Guarantano could go to the Jaguars on a free agent deal when he is through at Washington State.

Facts are Botch basically insulted a room of HOF Qbs so than none would come to beat JG out. Lawrence, Fields & Howell were all basically chased off by Jones.

I ran across this tidbit in another thread and I thought .... wait a minute.

As a junior at Bergen Catholic (Oradell, N.J.) last fall, he threw for 1,030 yards and nine touchdowns, while rushing for an additional 258 yards and four scores.

He played in only seven games after suffering a season-ending wrist injury in October.

Thats 147 yards a game passing and 37 yrds a game rushing playing against the little private schools in ( NEW JERSEY ) . 1.29 touchdowns a game.

Where do you get the number 6 duel threat qb from that? UT should hire his pr guy. Did anyone actually scout him ?
IIRC, they play tough competition. Still probably the worst HS stats Ive seen on a 4* QB.

I think the recruiting services had him listed as a "dual threat" because he put up ridiculous SPARQ numbers for a QB?

And yall know JG is connected right? I think his dad hid a few dead hookers for the Pope or something.

IIRC, they play tough competition. Still probably the worst HS stats Ive seen on a 4* QB.

I think the recruiting services had him listed as a "dual threat" because he put up ridiculous SPARQ numbers for a QB?

And yall know JG is connected right? I think his dad hid a few dead hookers for the Pope or something.
I know his commitment announcement included a marquee on time square.

Reactions: VolNExile

He must have also been connected to the Clintons some how, and/or knew the shooter on the grassy knoll.

You give me one guy? I never said there was never a needle in the haystack but let's be honest, would you rather have a 4 and 5 star that played FL, TX, or GA ball or a NJ 4 or 5 Star? Ratings are subjective. The chances are good that he is playing against lesser talent, so yeah, his numbers could look good, but you have to have perspective.

A 4 star player is a 4 star player.
Shouldn't generalize like that.

As far as New Jersey football.
Turk McBride and Rashad Baker were pretty damn good players for us.

Don Bosco of New Jersey was one of the first high schools that started playing National High School contests. They were beating teams from Florida and Ohio long before it was cool to travel out of state. Long before super programs, like IMG, Mater Dei, and St Frances Academy

Jersey is very underrated in Football talent.
Just look at the demographics of the state. It shouldn't be a surprise really...

Nah,
The 2016 QB class was full of PRO style. Butch like the dual threats. Even that said, the QB class as a whole was weak.

I ran across this tidbit in another thread and I thought .... wait a minute.

As a junior at Bergen Catholic (Oradell, N.J.) last fall, he threw for 1,030 yards and nine touchdowns, while rushing for an additional 258 yards and four scores.

He played in only seven games after suffering a season-ending wrist injury in October.

Thats 147 yards a game passing and 37 yrds a game rushing playing against the little private schools in ( NEW JERSEY ) . 1.29 touchdowns a game.

Where do you get the number 6 duel threat qb from that? UT should hire his pr guy. Did anyone actually scout him ?

I'm getting older and the memory is not what it once was but i think his dad and Jones were friends

It’s just so difficult to assess what a quarterback will become. They mainly get the ratings based on size and accuracy at camps when they are simply doing seven on seven type work with no pressure. Guys being successful in the game really depend on things you can’t analyze and camps. Being able to feel pressure coming and move around to avoid it, going through progressions, on the field IQ such as knowing when to take a shot and went to check down etc. JG is a good kid amd I feel for him. He perhaps could e succeeded at a small school or something. But it was obvious to almost every single fan 5 games into his career that he didn’t have those intangibles. That’s really why I want to see Pruitt go. If he was unable to make same recognition must fans were able to make what’s the point in giving him more time? He’s not going to become an intelligent guy with more time.

Reactions: Fullfillmer
It’s just so difficult to assess what a quarterback will become. They mainly get the ratings based on size and accuracy at camps when they are simply doing seven on seven type work with no pressure. Guys being successful in the game really depend on things you can’t analyze and camps. Being able to feel pressure coming and move around to avoid it, going through progressions, on the field IQ such as knowing when to take a shot and went to check down etc. JG is a good kid amd I feel for him. He perhaps could e succeeded at a small school or something. But it was obvious to almost every single fan 5 games into his career that he didn’t have those intangibles. That’s really why I want to see Pruitt go. If he was unable to make same recognition must fans were able to make what’s the point in giving him more time? He’s not going to become an intelligent guy with more time.

With that being said --- his highschool qb rating was 85 and his senior year - he only threw for 148 yds a game averaging 12 yards a pass and for 11 touchdowns. That is really weak sauce - and we can assume a lot of his passes were flares and screens like he often threw here.

Again - those are shockingly low, anemic numbers and numbers that don't typically draw interest from d1 colleges of any type.

VN Store

Back