Guarantano - interesting factoid

I ran across this tidbit in another thread and I thought .... wait a minute.

As a junior at Bergen Catholic (Oradell, N.J.) last fall, he threw for 1,030 yards and nine touchdowns, while rushing for an additional 258 yards and four scores.

He played in only seven games after suffering a season-ending wrist injury in October.

Thats 147 yards a game passing and 37 yrds a game rushing playing against the little private schools in ( NEW JERSEY ) . 1.29 touchdowns a game.

Where do you get the number 6 duel threat qb from that? UT should hire his pr guy. Did anyone actually scout him ?
He was a camp qb. He had a great arm, but it never translated to the field even in high school.

Reactions: Remy
I honestly think Jones had a hand in marketing JG.
Interesting take on the situation.
I never considered it, but Urban Meyer and Co. are famous for getting the best from the people they want and get, and they wanted him badly.

Weird situation and that trainwreck unfolded for five freaking years. It took two incompetent staffs to make that happen. So many bad choices had to be made to allow his career to be worth less than nothing. I don't blame him. The decision makers failed. Just facts.

And weird that he was good in the Auburn game, but that was a million years ago in Vol time.

Reactions: 2GeeZ4VolZ
A snippet from the following link... Tennessee wasn't the only school drinking the Kool- Aid

As A Recruit (Class of 2016)
Hopes were high for Jarrett Guarantano as a young quarterback in high school. The son of a Rutgers legend had earned a 4-star rating on 247Sports, in addition to the organization ranking Guarantano as the top dual-threat quarterback in the nation and the 2nd best player in the state of New Jersey. Rivals and ESPN also joined in on the Jarrett Guarantano hype train back when he was a senior at Bergen Catholic. Rivals rewarded the rising star with a 4-star rating and praised him as the 3rd best quarterback recruit in the nation (2nd best player in New Jersey). Meanwhile, ESPN rated Guarantano as the 4th best quarterback in the country, and the 2nd best player in New Jersey — enough to earn a 4-star ranking.

Being rated so highly by all three of the major recruiting ranking services helped Guarantano dividends in his college selection process, as he was viewed as a hot commodity. The young gunslinger earned offers from elite programs such as Alabama, LSU, and Notre Dame. However, in the end, the decision for Guarantano came down to three colleges: Ohio State, Rutgers (where his father played), and Tennessee. The highly-rated recruit ultimately landed in Knoxville, where he would redshirt his first season and attempt to learn from senior quarterback Josh Dobbs.

Meanwhile UF somehow is able to develop a QB that last started in grade school to be a Heisman contender.

This program has just been abysmal at everything for the last decade +.

It's impressive, actually, the incompetence at every level.

As a junior at Bergen Catholic (Oradell, N.J.) last fall, he threw for 1,030 yards and nine touchdowns, while rushing for an additional 258 yards and four scores.

He played in only seven games after suffering a season-ending wrist injury in October.

Thats 147 yards a game passing and 37 yrds a game rushing playing against the little private schools in ( NEW JERSEY ) . 1.29 touchdowns a game.

Where do you get the number 6 duel threat qb from that? UT should hire his pr guy. Did anyone actually scout him ?
He actually played against some really good teams in high school including Don Bosco which has claimed multiple national championships and also St, Joseph’s. All of those schools put guys in the pros.

Reactions: volsofsteele
I have nothing for or against him - and hope he does great in life.
but ..... I found that to be shockingly pedestrian numbers for a top prospect at quarterback. I obviously didn't watch him in high school - being 6'4" is a good size to be when competing against private schools - but he consistently made me ill watching him perform on Saturdays.
I tolerated 4 or 5 yrs of watching him - surely others can tolerate one more thread discussing it.
I am just a casual observer but all of this just seems a little head scratching to me.
I don't know how long it takes for him to process, go through his progressions, etc. although it appears he struggled there, but his feel for pressure, his slowness to react and avoid defenders, his inability to look off defenders and to not keep staring at his primary receiver, and his incredibly slow release
were never going to allow us to have a successful passing attack. What the heck was Pruitt seeing when he watched him. Great coaching would not and will not correct most of these fundamental flaws. Game plans were even changed to try to work around his abilities.
Again I wish him well, but I am betting that the Colorado passing attack next season is better than the Washington State passing attack. It will be interesting following those qb's and programs from afar.

And, we beat Auburn at Auburn because our wide receivers at the time could out jump and outfight the Auburn dbs. Accuracy and timing were not that critical to completing most of those passes.

Interesting take on the situation.
I never considered it, but Urban Meyer and Co. are famous for getting the best from the people they want and get, and they wanted him badly.

Weird situation and that trainwreck unfolded for five freaking years. It took two incompetent staffs to make that happen. So many bad choices had to be made to allow his career to be worth less than nothing. I don't blame him. The decision makers failed. Just facts.

And weird that he was good in the Auburn game, but that was a million years ago in Vol time.
The circumstances that allowed him to start for so long were just weird. At any school with a "good" QB room... he's a career scout team player.

He was number 1 DT on 247

Unfortunately we have come to understand that “dual threat” referred to whom he was throwing the ball...

Let's be honest, it's NJ high school football :rolleyes:
A family member who lived in NYC made a very similar comment 20ish years ago when we had Chris Simms committed. The best I can remember Texas was glad to see Simms graduate

The dude has been trashed for years. He is no longer at TN. Why still bring him up just to trash him some more?

I found it interesting to run across those facts - how someone who threw for 147 yards a game in high school was going to
The dude has been trashed for years. He is no longer at TN. Why still bring him up just to trash him some more?

I honestly never get tired of bashing Butch and Pruitt for starting him and Fulmer for sitting by watching saying yep looks and sounds good to me. Usually, I would think that you have a guy that threw for 250 - 300 a game in high school throwing for 300 - 350 in college. Someone that was only throwing for
147 a game would typically be a below average high school qb. and not even on the radar. I would be questioning what was wrong with the guy or the offense that they were running. Jonny Majors probably passed for more yards per game back when there were only 10 passes thrown each game. What did the other 3 qbs in camp average in high school ? about 300 - 350 a game I would think without checking.

I think starting him was crazy and solidifies in my mind that the head coaches didn't know what they were doing. And if you can't see that - you really shouldn't be in that position.

A snippet from the following link... Tennessee wasn't the only school drinking the Kool- Aid

As A Recruit (Class of 2016)
Hopes were high for Jarrett Guarantano as a young quarterback in high school. The son of a Rutgers legend had earned a 4-star rating on 247Sports, in addition to the organization ranking Guarantano as the top dual-threat quarterback in the nation and the 2nd best player in the state of New Jersey. Rivals and ESPN also joined in on the Jarrett Guarantano hype train back when he was a senior at Bergen Catholic. Rivals rewarded the rising star with a 4-star rating and praised him as the 3rd best quarterback recruit in the nation (2nd best player in New Jersey). Meanwhile, ESPN rated Guarantano as the 4th best quarterback in the country, and the 2nd best player in New Jersey — enough to earn a 4-star ranking.

Being rated so highly by all three of the major recruiting ranking services helped Guarantano dividends in his college selection process, as he was viewed as a hot commodity. The young gunslinger earned offers from elite programs such as Alabama, LSU, and Notre Dame. However, in the end, the decision for Guarantano came down to three colleges: Ohio State, Rutgers (where his father played), and Tennessee. The highly-rated recruit ultimately landed in Knoxville, where he would redshirt his first season and attempt to learn from senior quarterback Josh Dobbs.
He also wanted to play for Butch Jones who was a GA when his dad was at Rutgers. We actually loved Butch Jones at that point for that very reason.

The most interesting and best Guarantano factoid - He is no longer our problem since he is no longer on our team.
Unfortunately, some fans will not ever see it that way. Personally, I hope he never steps on campus again. I don’t see how he could be welcomed back on campus honestly. He’s pretty much the only “former” UT player I hope just goes away.

It came from the MSM what do you expect?

Some on here just like to bash all those who tried their best but couldn't achieve.

The JG bashers are also the Butch bashers. Let it go, they did their best and now they are gone. Some of you are low-down cowards.

Or good athletes that know other good athletes

Unfortunately we have come to understand that “dual threat” referred to whom he was throwing the ball...

Dual threat foir that particular player became was he going to turn the ball over on INT/fumble or take a really bad unnecessary sack holding on to the ball rather than simply throwing it out of bounds. He was always a dual threat to the Tennessee offense.

Reactions: Sarms58

Duel vs Dual? 😜

VN Store

Back