Greatest ambassadors for UT

I don't think there has ever been a greater ambassador for UT than Pat Summitt. She did much, much more than coach the Lady Vols.

Remember the story, when she was pregnant with Tyler and on a recruiting trip, had contractions in the air and told the crew that her child would be born in Tennessee?

Reactions: Slydell
I know he doesn’t have anything to do with the university, just a thought that popped into my head, it’s so cool to me that Quentin Tarantino is from Knoxville

Ok. Here’s another one. Who are the top 10 greatest legends/ambassadors/VFLs representing ANY sport? They can be athletes, coaches or even non-athletes.

I have no idea how to rank the legends. The following are just some ideas in no particular order.

Pat Summit
Al Wilson
Peyton
Ernie
Bernie
John Ward
Reggie White
Admiral S.
The General
Tee
Grant Williams
Josh dobbs
Todd Helton
Phil
Johnny
Holly. Yes that Holly
Melvin Stewart. Swimming
Justin Gatlin track

There are hundreds more. I havent even skimmed the surface.

Reggie White was a great player, not so much an ambassador for UT. He often was very critical of the university claiming Racial prejudice. Very often

About an hour too soon on your list of top ten. Buckle up people...

(Not to mention your list didn't include the best player to wear the #5 on the basketball court at Tennessee and will have his number in the rafters once he retires.)

Whoa now! BEST to wear #5. You do realize what you're saying, right?

When the Knoxville media made a big deal out of the arson investigation, which inhibited local giving to help them rebuild, Green Bay fans were generous in helping with that cause. Once I realized that, I understood how he felt. What good things Reggie did in his life outweighs what "amuses" you, at least in my eyes.

throw in a tantrum because Peyton Manning was getting more press than him, and Reggie played the race card.

I don't think non-athletes or non-coaches can be Vol Ambassadors....JMO. I don't care for David Keith either which is more my bias than anything.

John Ward says “hello” from the great stadium in the sky. There wasn’t a dry eye last year when they played videos of his calls. How is he NOT and ambassador for UT football and basketball. He brought the game to life for so many of us. How many of vol nation became die hard fans and gained interest due to his excitement in calling games. Did he make a difference? “Of course he did”?

Reggie White was a great player, not so much an ambassador for UT. He often was very critical of the university claiming Racial prejudice. Very often

I must have missed all of these negative comments from Reggie White. I just don’t remember them. Maybe I didn’t follow the stories very closely. All I know is that he was a great player and a great man. I met him once at the Knoxville airport and he couldn’t have been more kind and pleasant to this white boy (me). Maybe some of his comments were over the top but how many of us can honestly say we experienced the kind of prejudice he and his peers may have back in their day. If I were in his shoes I would probably be a little paranoid as well and might start to assume the worst even if not justified.

John Ward says “hello” from the great stadium in the sky. There wasn’t a dry eye last year when they played videos of his calls. How is he NOT and ambassador for UT football and basketball. He brought the game to life for so many of us. How many of vol nation became die hard fans and gained interest due to his excitement in calling games. Did he make a difference? “Of course he did”?
Agreed, there are many over the years that embody our school. He was part of UT. Keith is a second rate actor that gets to stand on the sidelines when he isn't in his box.

Agreed, there are many over the years that embody our school. He was part of UT. Keith is a second rate actor that gets to stand on the sidelines when he isn't in his box.

Understand. I never envisioned Keith being on this list at all. I don’t have anything against him and I don’t mind that he likes to wear his UT hat in public but I don’t see him as an ambassador. Putting him in the same list as John Ward is like putting General neyland on the same list as butch. He’s like Kenny Chesney- a so called celebrity who is a UT fan.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

Most people don't know this, but Bernard King is an awful awful person and legit should never be considered an embassador for the University.

This is an awesome podcast and I was shocked when I randomly stumbled upon this episode a few months ago.

Give it a listen before you make your Pro-King statements.

Also if that is too long of a listen for you, I advise you read this quote I found discussing him and the ESPN 30 for 30 that came out a few years back.

"Although ESPN didn’t tell us, this is not the case. It turns out Bernard King has a history of violence against women. While playing very briefly in Utah in the early 1980s for the Jazz, King was arrested on charges of forcible sodomy and forcible sexual assault. According to writer Peter Richmond, King pleaded to one count of attempted forcible sexual assault after he passed six lie detector tests in which he claimed he was so intoxicated that he simply did not know hat occurred during the evening in question.

In 1994, King was arrested for allegedly choking a woman while he was intoxicated. 10 years later, he was arrested on four counts of spousal abuse. According to the AP and the NY Daily News, a photograph of his wife at the time of the arrest showed her to have been bloody and bruised. The violence that was visited upon Bernard King when he was a child and college student do not excuse his violence against women. But they explain them to a significant extent don’t they?"

Ok. Here’s another one. Who are the top 10 greatest legends/ambassadors/VFLs representing ANY sport? They can be athletes, coaches or even non-athletes.

I have no idea how to rank the legends. The following are just some ideas in no particular order.

Pat Summit
Al Wilson
Peyton
Ernie
Bernie
John Ward
Reggie White
Admiral S.
The General
Tee
Grant Williams
Josh dobbs
Todd Helton
Phil
Johnny
Holly. Yes that Holly
Melvin Stewart. Swimming
Justin Gatlin track

Pat Summit
Al Wilson
Peyton
Ernie
Bernie
John Ward
Reggie White
Admiral S.
The General
Tee
Grant Williams
Josh dobbs
Todd Helton
Phil
Johnny
Holly. Yes that Holly
Melvin Stewart. Swimming
Justin Gatlin track

Charles Davis

Reactions: tntar heel

VN Store

Back