Greatest ambassadors for UT

PhoenixAZVol

Ok. Here’s another one. Who are the top 10 greatest legends/ambassadors/VFLs representing ANY sport? They can be athletes, coaches or even non-athletes.

I have no idea how to rank the legends. The following are just some ideas in no particular order.

Pat Summit
Al Wilson
Peyton
Ernie
Bernie
John Ward
Reggie White
Admiral S.
The General
Tee
Grant Williams
Josh dobbs
Todd Helton
Phil
Johnny
Holly. Yes that Holly
Melvin Stewart. Swimming
Justin Gatlin track

There are hundreds more. I havent even skimmed the surface.

I’m sure people will laugh but I think JG is going to finish as a great VFL. Especially if he finishes with a decent season. He hasn’t won much but is there a better example of perseverance, repeatedly taking punches to the gut yet still standing and competing?

Reactions: BucksnortVol
The best possible senario is to not rank the legends or advocates of UT but to appreciate them all. There love, and our’s, for TN will always be genuine and everlasting.

Reactions: NCVOL327
About an hour too soon on your list of top ten. Buckle up people...

(Not to mention your list didn't include the best player to wear the #5 on the basketball court at Tennessee and will have his number in the rafters once he retires.)

Reactions: Special Ed
Chuck Rohe is often overlooked. He led the "marriage" of UT's track and football programs that led to the history of NFL wide receivers. He's not #1 but certainly deserves to be on the list.

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers
Smokey

images

Eric Berry
Candace Parker
I would put Neyland in the first 5 at least. Our Stadiums is named for him and there is a statue of him there. I doubt that Tennessee football would have ever reached its status without him. Candace continues to increase her prominence as an icon for Tennessee.

Reactions: vols40
Looking at the list of candidates you set forth, I think you need to define "ambassador". I think there are many names on the list that do not qualify by the accepted definition. Having been a great player for the school does not make one an ambassador.
That being said, Pat must rank as one of, or is at the top of the list. A couple or three names that come to mind for me are Pres. Andy Holt, Pres. Johnson and John Ward (who you include in your list).

Bruce Pearl. CNBC just showed him getting a hero's welcome in Auburn. Someone somewhere still connects him with TN.

VN Store

Back