Great article by Wes

Good article. I suspect it's mostly accurate, but he lost me when he said it was too bad Kiffin didn't get to stay longer. The biggest regret any of us should have about Kiffin is that he was ever hired in the first place.
Well, he's been gone a long time. You may not like the guy but he can coach--look at FAU. He has some growing up to do but in that year with us he did almost beat Bama; not his fault the kicker got blocked. We were a heavy underdog. He reminded me of a younger Phil Fulmer who, when filling in for Majors, opened up the offense and was willing to take big chances to open up the offense to give us a fighting chance at winning. There's a difference between being a risk taker, a calculated risk, & just being stupid. I'd much rather have Pruitt hands down, but I hold no long-lasting grudge against Kiffin.

Well, he's been gone a long time. You may not like the guy but he can coach--look at FAU. He has some growing up to do but in that year with us he did almost beat Bama; not his fault the kicker got blocked. We were a heavy underdog. He reminded me of a younger Phil Fulmer who, when filling in for Majors, opened up the offense and was willing to take big chances to open up the offense to give us a fighting chance at winning. There's a difference between being a risk taker, a calculated risk, & just being stupid. I'd much rather have Pruitt hands down, but I hold no long-lasting grudge against Kiffin.

How long he's been gone is irrelevant and it's not a matter of disliking him. He's been a failure everywhere he's been. He recruited a bunch of rejects when he was at UT and we would have ended up on NCAA probation if he had stayed any longer. Total disaster hire that led to every bad thing that has happened since.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Regardless, he was a bad hire. LOTS of folks thought he was probation waiting to happen and while it didn't directly happen it was just as bad when he was hand given a top 10 program and bailed 12 games in. We'd have probably been better off getting put on probation!

Reactions: Hacksaw
It seems that Wes, much like our Vols may have turned a corner for the positive. I think his stuff has been pretty spot on recently.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
I honestly don’t say this to be mean, but I find Rucker to be one of the worst writers I’ve come across. I think he has insights, but his prose is always clunky, and he uses way too many forced analogies to get his point across. Compared to Ubben, it’s hard to read his stuff sometimes.

Reactions: JMSqb11
I honestly don’t say this to be mean, but I find Rucker to be one of the worst writers I’ve come across. I think he has insights, but his prose is always clunky, and he uses way too many forced analogies to get his point across. Compared to Ubben, it’s hard to read his stuff sometimes.

ironic

The proof is in the pudding.
No repeat of last year. If he lays another goose egg then Pruitt is Jones 2.0
Ironic the next game is in Missouri.
Show Me !

Good article. I suspect it's mostly accurate, but he lost me when he said it was too bad Kiffin didn't get to stay longer. The biggest regret any of us should have about Kiffin is that he was ever hired in the first place.
Or that we fired a living legend who was Tennessee to his core

Agreed. Never really understood the general dislike for him around here. I've always enjoyed his work. I will say though, much like every other sports writer, he needs to proof his articles. Every single one has grammatical errors and/or typos...

Agreed, but I doubt 247 pays for a second set of eyes, save for another writer working on a 5am deadline.

How long he's been gone is irrelevant and it's not a matter of disliking him. He's been a failure everywhere he's been. He recruited a bunch of rejects when he was at UT and we would have ended up on NCAA probation if he had stayed any longer. Total disaster hire that led to every bad thing that has happened since.

I can't stand him, but its not fact that he would have had us on probation, and even if he did I'm not sure it would have been any worse than what we've been through.

Obviously if we hadn't hired him he couldn't have left the way he did, but if he had stayed at least a couple more years, we have a better 10 years than we've had. It wasn't his hiring that led us to all of this. Well, unless you say he couldn't have left if he hadn't been hired. Lol.

But, it is what it is. Let's hope Pruitt makes everyone forget about the past 10 years.

I can't stand him, but its not fact that he would have had us on probation, and even if he did I'm not sure it would have been any worse than what we've been through.

Obviously if we hadn't hired him he couldn't have left the way he did, but if he had stayed at least a couple more years, we have a better 10 years than we've had. It wasn't his hiring that led us to all of this. Well, unless you say he couldn't have left if he hadn't been hired. Lol.

But, it is what it is. Let's hope Pruitt makes everyone forget about the past 10 years.

I'm aware that things that did not happen in real life are not facts by definition. It's my opinion, based on things that have happened repeatedly around him and on the kind of attention we were getting during the short time he was here, that we would have had NCAA trouble had he stayed.

Either way, it's self-evident that he couldn't have left if he had never been hired.

Best line: I don’t know if Jeremy Pruitt will make Tennessee look like Tennessee again, but he’s at least managed to make Tennessee stop looking like Vanderbilt.
I cannot disagree, so I will add my #2 favorite:
"“We have to coach them better so we do execute at a higher level,” Pruitt added.
That, ladies and gentlemen, is accountability. Rather than focus solely on the players making obvious mistakes, Pruitt notes — accurately — that ultimately he and his staff are responsible for the execution of the call, too. He goes out of his way to mention that time and time again, even when he doesn’t necessarily need to."

Reactions: ClockworkOrange

VN Store

Back