Grant Williams is ..............

With the height disadvantage I understand the logical skepticism. And I’m not saying he’s a lock to be in the NBA. But he’s done it at every level against that levels biggest and best.(while not being a high 4 or 5 Star) His jumper and vertical has improved since he’s got to Knoxville. And while I agree he might be a half step slow guarding the 3s, and half a foot short to be guarding the 5s, he’s built like a tank. A tank that can hold his own against a 3-5 in spurts.

He’s just not the dude to “keep it real” about. It might be like the chick on the Chapelle Show calling back the hang up!!

Last edited:
In today's NBA they fill rosters with 3 point shooters, as opposed to the 90's when we were heavy with non shooting slashers on the wings. Williams can't guard Lebron but you can put him on Smith, Korver, Shumpert, and maybe even Crowder.

If Williams can start consistently hitting 3's, he should easily make an NBA roster

What?!?!? Productivity=numbers, and Maten leads the SEC in rebounds and is 2nd in points at 19.3 ppg. Next closes bulldog is averaging 10.1 ppg. I'd say Maten is pretty important. More so than Williams is to Tennessee.

You can be productive and not have the best stats. Deflections? Hockey assist? Energy? You take grant off of our team, and we aren’t having the NCAA or not discussion.

You can be productive and not have the best stats. Deflections? Hockey assist? Energy? You take grant off of our team, and we aren’t having the NCAA or not discussion.

If you get lots of hockey assists and deflections, you will also have lots of assists and steals. One box score might not capture your ability to disrupt or pass, but over a season it will show in your steals and assists averages per minute.

Production is a tangible measurement. A hockey assist is production.

Deflections, hustle, basketball IQ; those are all intangibles.

Take Grant Williams off of Tennessee's team, we are probably a 13-17 type team. Take Maten off of Georgia's team, and they don't win 10 games. He accounts for 27% of their scoring, and 22% of their rebounding. Grant accounts for 21.5% of Tennessee's scoring and 18% of the rebounding.

Production is a tangible measurement. A hockey assist is production.

Deflections, hustle, basketball IQ; those are all intangibles.

Take Grant Williams off of Tennessee's team, we are probably a 13-17 type team. Take Maten off of Georgia's team, and they don't win 10 games. He accounts for 27% of their scoring, and 22% of their rebounding. Grant accounts for 21.5% of Tennessee's scoring and 18% of the rebounding.
Agree with the Williams off Tennessee, but you’re vastly underestimating Georgia. In their 5 point loss at rupp, he went 5-15.

Agree with the Williams off Tennessee, but you’re vastly underestimating Georgia. In their 5 point loss at rupp, he went 5-15.

Maybe so, but all I can do is look at the production numbers. We are talking about a hypothetical situation here, so nothing is set in stone, obviously, but take away 27% of a team's scoring and 22% of their rebounding, thats going to have a significant negative effect.

Georgia currently only has one other player who averages double figures, and that is William Jackson barely at 10.1 ppg. They are the second lowest scoring team in the conference at 71.7 ppg. Taking away 19.3 of their points and then expecting a bunch of guys currently averaging single digits to completely pick up that slack is a tall task.

Hammonds and ogbeide are more important to them, imo. Or equally as important

Based on what exactly? Those two guys combined don't put out the kind of production Maten does. You're just arguing to argue at this point if that is your take.

Based on what exactly? Those two guys combined don't put out the kind of production Maten does. You're just arguing to argue at this point if that is your take.

Well I mean, it’s not an argument it’s a statement that was made off hand not even directed at this subject. It just happens to relate. But, this is a grant thread.

And still led them in scoring and rebounding by a long shot. What are you trying to prove by saying that?

That he had a horrible night, and they almost still won because the other guys picked up the slack. Ogi(not gonna bother spelling that again) went 6-7 and was a beast on D.

Barkley is my favorite player ever and Williams does the best offensive Barkley impersonation I've ever seen. He's not really a high flyer like Charles was, but otherwise he looks the part.

That he had a horrible night, and they almost still won because the other guys picked up the slack. Ogi(not gonna bother spelling that again) went 6-7 and was a beast on D.

Maten had 17 pts and 12 rebs! In what universe is that a "horrible night"?

Along with his 12 pts and 6 rebs, Ogbeide had 4 TOs, 4 fouls, 0 blocks, and 0 steals. Beast on D? That's what you want out of starting PF?

Last edited:
Maten is 2 years older and he's a little bit better this season, but career per minute average productivity is basically a wash.

Per 40 career, who is who?

21.1 p, 9.3r, 2.1a, 1.1s, 2.8b, 3.0to
21.0 p, 10.1r, 1.4a, 0.7s, 2.3b, 3.7to

Maten had 17 pts and 12 rebs! In what universe is that a "horrible night"?

Along with his 12 pts and 6 rebs, Ogbeide had 4 TOs, 4 fouls, 0 blocks, and 0 steals. Beast on D? That's what you want out of starting PF?

He may not have blocked a shot, or gotten a steal, but he altered many of them. My point is, they have guys who can pick up the slack for him.

Maten is 2 years older and he's a little bit better this season, but career per minute average productivity is basically a wash.

Per 40 career, who is who?

21.1 p, 9.3r, 2.1a, 1.1s, 2.8b, 3.0to
21.0 p, 10.1r, 1.4a, 0.7s, 2.3b, 3.7to

Per 40 is a very flawed stat.

Also, I don’t think anyone is saying GW as a senior won’t be the better player, but right now I think just about everyone across he country would go with Maten.

VN Store

Back