Grant Williams is ..............

what sticks out to me, while watching the vols play this kind of competition this early of the season, is they look like a completely different team than past years...

They appear to be way ahead of previous years...just as a whole...the conditioning the team play...spreading the ball....the whole package seems to be there...only to get much better

that's high praise

tenor.gif

The 30 years part excludes Dale Ellis and Bernard King, but even in that group, Alan Houston was simply dominant on both sides of the court. That does not take away from how good Williams is looking.

Sorry Pump - Alan Houston was not very strong on defense - and hard to say he was dominant on offense - when we were only winning 7 or 8 games a year.

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry Pump - Alan Houston was not very strong on defense - and hard to say he was dominant on offense - when we were only winning 7 or 8 games a year.

5-25 was the year after Alan left. Most of Alan's years were near .500.

No doubt that Houston had dominating offensive skills, but he had no supporting cast. Wade couldn't convince any great players to come to TN to complement AH when the offense was going to run through the coach's son.

It would have been awesome to have had Alan Houston on so many other teams that would have attacked from the inside out. Opponents were able to focus on limiting Alan's offensive production and there was nobody that could take the focus off of him (other than Greg Bell for a year or two iirc). Exhibit A is Alan's final game at Rupp. 101-40. The night of the blizzard if the century.

The antithesis to our football team... Plays well beyond his recruiting ranking, not intimidated by bigger guys, and never quits.

A-l-l-a-n....Allan

And he was a great offensive player. Could play all 3 guard spots and maybe the best Tennessee shooter in the 3pt era not named Lofton.

His defense was lacking, but part of that was due to the amount of energy he expended on the offensive end to keep Tennessee in games.

...his ceiling, I said ceiling, is a better scoring Draymond Green. I see a lot of what makes Draymond special in Grant Williams' game. The physical characteristics. The skills. His competitiveness and relentlessnes are what need to improve to work towards becoming what Draymond is.

...his ceiling, I said ceiling, is a better scoring Draymond Green. I see a lot of what makes Draymond special in Grant Williams' game. The physical characteristics. The skills. His competitiveness and relentlessnes are what need to improve to work towards becoming what Draymond is.

I started to go with Draymond, but it's been discussed several times, so I went with a more appropriate UT connection. I do see the Draymond comparison though.

Last edited:
Grant Williams is my man...he be good...we're lucky to have him on our team...:rock:

GO VOLS!

Let's finish this sentence.

"Grant Williams is the best all around player we have had in my memory. "

My memory goes back to the late 80s but I can't Remember any player that had the combination of passing, rebounding, shot blocking, ball handling and scoring ability that he has.

Today Williams was brilliant with his passing to the open man and knowing when to push and when to slow it down when he broke the press.

Simply put I wouldn't trade him for any single player we have had in 30 years.

30 years? That covers Allan Houston, Chris Lofton, Ron Slay, Tobias Harris, etc. I would say Slay, who was SEC player of the year, is better than Williams right now, but Williams is already very good and is only a Soph. I love how he uses his leverage inside on bigger players like in the Purdue game.

Honestly reminds me of a smaller, more athletic Wayne Chism during his senior year. They both had a significant presence inside (both playing the post and spacing for the rebound), could help move the ball offensively, and could extend their range and hit a jump shot when need be.

Senior Chism missed some easy shots, got in foul trouble occaisionally, and was never a lights out free throw shooter. This seems to be where Grant is at with his game right now, but he still has basically three years (if he chooses) to improve under Barnes.

Not Loften but Houston is so tempting. I was so young watching him that maybe I can't comment on him with any intelligence.

I would take Ernie and Bernie over any I have seen at Tennessee. Williams is the best player on this squad at this time. He has moments of greatness, but slips back to just a good player. If he continues to improve, he may not be around for his senior year.

I would take Ernie and Bernie over any I have seen at Tennessee. Williams is the best player on this squad at this time. He has moments of greatness, but slips back to just a good player. If he continues to improve, he may not be around for his senior year.

Only if he graduates early.
Think his mom would frown on leaving without a diploma.

30 years? That covers Allan Houston, Chris Lofton, Ron Slay, Tobias Harris, etc. I would say Slay, who was SEC player of the year, is better than Williams right now, but Williams is already very good and is only a Soph. I love how he uses his leverage inside on bigger players like in the Purdue game.

Slay for me was wild and out of control too much. Emotions got the best of him and was well under the basketball IQ level of Williams. Not to say he wasn't a dang good player but I found more faults with him. Houston is the one that's the hardest for me but he didn't win enough. I think GW is about to win much more.

Houston was averaging over 20 points even though he was the main focus of every team they faced. One of my favorite memories is Houston intentionally missing the 2nd free throw, rebounded by Corey Allen hit hit the And-1 to defeat a heavily favored Kentucky team.

VN Store

Back