Grant Gator chomping deserves its own thread!

I don't understand why Florida fans are so upset. Every time I see Florida lose whether it be Football or Basketball, someone on the opposing team does the Gator Chomp to mock them. They should be used to it by now.

Reactions: livefaith and Alto1
Seems to be a whole lot more butt hurt from the VN mob not liking that a few posters don't think it's a great look for TN players to run over to and taunt an opposing crowd.

It's gorgeous if you ask me TGO. If fans want to step out and taunt players, then the risk is that you'll get humiliated right in your seat. It's called being put in your place.

The Florida fan base can be some of the worst in the nation. Everyone has acknowledged what great young men both Grant and Admiral are. For them to do this means they were absolutely provoked by the crowd. What they did wasn’t low class, in fact it was a classy way to give the fans the finger which they deserved. For all you sanctimonious fans, quit acting like you’ve been there and know better.

Yep. It's called reaping what you've sown. Our guys were quick and to the point with laser like precision. Then got back to the congrats line to shake the other team's hands. Those fans will forever remember the night they treated the Top 5 Vols with disdain. It'll be a good lesson for the ones with any good sense.

Remember "Archie Who"? :-( Sometimes it comes back to Bite.

1) I have been to plenty of basketball games in my time. I guarantee you the fans were not calling the Vols players "inhumane" names. Even at football games this is very rare and would not last long. The other Gator fans would put an end to that. This seems like an after-the-fact excuse by a player or two.

2) As a Gator fan I'm not particularly bothered by your players doing the chomp. It was a tough game in a tough environment. I'm okay with them celebrating like that. On the flip side, I do see why your coach would try to put the kibosh on that going forward. He's trying to create an atmosphere of professionalism. We go in, take care of business, and we leave like we expected to win. I think that serves your team well down the road.

1) I have been to plenty of basketball games in my time. I guarantee you the fans were not calling the Vols players "inhumane" names. Even at football games this is very rare and would not last long. The other Gator fans would put an end to that. This seems like an after-the-fact excuse by a player or two.

2) As a Gator fan I'm not particularly bothered by your players doing the chomp. It was a tough game in a tough environment. I'm okay with them celebrating like that. On the flip side, I do see why your coach would try to put the kibosh on that going forward. He's trying to create an atmosphere of professionalism. We go in, take care of business, and we leave like we expected to win. I think that serves your team well down the road.
I agree with your second statement, but in your first, it seems like you are calling Admiral Schofield a liar. Is that what you’re saying? Did he just make it all up?

No offense to you, but if given the choice to believe the word of one of our players vs a Florida fan who wasn’t there speaking on behalf of all Florida fans in attendance, I’ll take our player’s word for it. Heard way too many first-hand accounts of Florida fan behavior towards Tennessee fans to assume you all effectively police yourselves against poor behavior.

And I’m sure Tennessee fans have their factions of idiots, too. Not saying it is isolated to Florida.

Reactions: spyfish007
I agree with your second statement, but in your first, it seems like you are calling Admiral Schofield a liar. Is that what you’re saying? Did he just make it all up?

No offense to you, but if given the choice to believe the word of one of our players vs a Florida fan who wasn’t there speaking on behalf of all Florida fans in attendance, I’ll take our player’s word for it. Heard way too many first-hand accounts of Florida fan behavior towards Tennessee fans to assume you all effectively police yourselves against poor behavior.

And I’m sure Tennessee fans have their factions of idiots, too. Not saying it is isolated to Florida.

I understand but you seem all-too-willing to take the word of Schofield who is defending himself, has a motivation to at least exaggerate a bit here, and is declining to give any specifics.

I have no doubt that the Gator fans on the whole were doing the Gator chomp a ton and chanting/singing and generally being annoying. But the notion that some person or group, sitting directly behind your players, were calling them "inhumane names" right there in front of officials, refs, security, and tons of other folks. I'm just finding that hard to believe. They'd be easily identifiable. It just seems a stretch that they would have said something so awful it can't be repeated and no one did anything about it.

More likely is that Schofield exaggerated that to justify their post game reaction. I think it more accurate to say that it was a one score game with a minute to go, they pulled away, and felt like celebrating a tough victory on the road. That's the honest reason, its okay, and no one really cares.

There is no question that Florida fans can be offensive, profane, and deplorable as a rule - not an exception. Of all SEC fans, Florida white trash seems to have a penchant for behavior beyond any acceptable measure. Will never forget a family tailgate with parents and grandparents in a quiet area behind the education building interrupted by a half dozen jort sporting trash mouths yelling obscene shouts accompanied by obscene gestures when the gators played in Neyland in 2000 or 2001
. 5093d46dac733.image.jpg

Reactions: Otis07
I understand but you seem all-too-willing to take the word of Schofield who is defending himself, has a motivation to at least exaggerate a bit here, and is declining to give any specifics.

I have no doubt that the Gator fans on the whole were doing the Gator chomp a ton and chanting/singing and generally being annoying. But the notion that some person or group, sitting directly behind your players, were calling them "inhumane names" right there in front of officials, refs, security, and tons of other folks. I'm just finding that hard to believe. They'd be easily identifiable. It just seems a stretch that they would have said something so awful it can't be repeated and no one did anything about it.

More likely is that Schofield exaggerated that to justify their post game reaction. I think it more accurate to say that it was a one score game with a minute to go, they pulled away, and felt like celebrating a tough victory on the road. That's the honest reason, its okay, and no one really cares.
I wasn’t there, so I have to believe one side of the story or the other. I just choose to believe the account of the person that was there vs that of the person who wasn’t, yet believes that kind of behavior would be policed by their own when I know for a fact it hasn’t been in the past.

And the truth is likely somewhere in between. You say no one really cares. You don’t and I don’t, but someone does. They care enough to write stories on several major news outlets about it. Again though, I think it’s much ado about nothing. Competitors in the heat of the moment giving it back to the fans, whether anything that crossed the line was said or not. It’s over and done with, now, and no one is worse for the wear.

Reactions: ttocswob
I wasn’t there, so I have to believe one side of the story or the other. I just choose to believe the account of the person that was there vs that of the person who wasn’t, yet believes that kind of behavior would be policed by their own when I know for a fact it hasn’t been in the past.

And the truth is likely somewhere in between. You say no one really cares. You don’t and I don’t, but someone does. They care enough to write stories on several major news outlets about it. Again though, I think it’s much ado about nothing. Competitors in the heat of the moment giving it back to the fans, whether anything that crossed the line was said or not. It’s over and done with, now, and no one is worse for the wear.

I think they write the stories about it to get clicks. Maybe the new and immature fans think it significant.

Reactions: walkenvol
I think they write the stories about it to get clicks. Maybe the new and immature fans think it significant.

Yes, no way this group of fans (count the middle fingers) could have possibly been calling Schofield or other players vulgar names, not likely at all...

Attachments

• 056182F2-8DD8-487A-8392-D7A45491D3BF.jpeg
    056182F2-8DD8-487A-8392-D7A45491D3BF.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 27
Yes, no way this group of fans (count the middle fingers) could have possibly been calling Schofield or other players vulgar names, not likely at all...

That's about five that I see and they are looking at someone else. Plus I don't know when that was, or what provoked them to do it. We also don't know if that was common in the rest of the stands or isolated to some group.

We aren't going to resolve it here and its just not a big deal that your players did the chomp. I'll just say that, just like your coach wants your players to chill and act like they've been there, I would hope that any of our fans who did provoke that reaction would also learn a lesson from Saturday and remember that they are spectators, not participants.

That's about five that I see and they are looking at someone else. Plus I don't know when that was, or what provoked them to do it. We also don't know if that was common in the rest of the stands or isolated to some group.

We aren't going to resolve it here and its just not a big deal that your players did the chomp. I'll just say that, just like your coach wants your players to chill and act like they've been there, I would hope that any of our fans who did provoke that reaction would also learn a lesson from Saturday and remember that they are spectators, not participants.
Very good point in your last statement, and that should go for fans of all schools.

For reference though, that photo was taken immediately after the buzzer sounded and the players started doing the chomp. Someone counted the number of #1 salutes, and it came out to about 16, FWIW. And that is a cropped version of the picture. More birdies flying off to the right in the direction of Grant Williams and left in the direction of Schofield who have been cropped from this version of the original photo.
B97CE6C5-9AF2-472D-A6C1-2FB61BD2FB25.jpeg

Very good point in your last statement, and that should go for fans of all schools.

For reference though, that photo was taken immediately after the buzzer sounded and the players started doing the chomp. Someone counted the number of #1 salutes, and it came out to about 16, FWIW. And that is a cropped version of the picture. More birdies flying off to the right in the direction of Grant Williams and left in the direction of Schofield who have been cropped from this version of the original photo.
View attachment 189249

Ok. Well, 16 out of 12,000 is not huge, but its 16 too many. And apparently they are doing it IN reaction to what your player was doing, not vice versa.

Hopefully your fans will take a lesson from it, too, and not be too obnoxious on the return visit. Will probably help that you wil surely beat us like a drum at TBA.

I take his over yours...and to defend gator fans as being polite well that is asinine....I have been there

Ok. Well, 16 out of 12,000 is not huge, but its 16 too many. And apparently they are doing it IN reaction to what your player was doing, not vice versa.

Hopefully your fans will take a lesson from it, too, and not be too obnoxious on the return visit. Will probably help that you wil surely beat us like a drum at TBA.
Ehh, I’ll give you the fact that it is most likely in retaliation to the players, but it’s 16 out of about 200 or so that we can clearly see in the picture, not 12000. In any case, like you said, it’s 16 too many, and bad fan behavior isn’t isolated to Florida alone. These guys have never reacted to a crowd in this manner before, and it seemed pretty out of character for guys like Schofield and Williams, so I have to think something happened that incited that reaction. Hopefully, the return trip for you guys to Knoxville will be pleasant, but unfortunately, we have our own knuckleheads who will trade eye for an eye. I hope that isn’t the case, but I can’t rule it out.

I was amused when USCw can to the TBA about 10 years ago. After they won, KO's wife let the crowd behind their bench have it. She nearly had to be restrained by the Trojan followers in her group. She was mad. I wish TN would have won that one.

I have been to Gainesville and the fan base for the most part are trash. For years the institution that is Florida turned a blind eye to drunk rowdy fans and allowed students to leave and re enter the stadium at halftime. The police turned a blind eye to the antics that occurred in the "gauntlet". The institution allowed that crap to build a atmosphere to establish a so called home field advantage. The hate filled name calling is just another example of what I have come to expect from the Florida experience. Many will say it is not fair to paint all who attend Florida events with the label of trash and maybe it is not. On the other hand the Florida people who may not participate in such antics allow this crap to continue. As far as I am concerned that makes the entire bunch you as guilty as those that do such things. The conventional wisdom is we should not be buttercups and just accept this because if we win the antics will stop, that is not the way it is.

I wish the lads had refrained from the gator chomp, I hope Barnes addresses this so it does not happen again. I could care less if the Florida base is in an uproar, I just do not want the ESPN media machine highlighting the incident. Williams is a good kid and we have been very lucky to have such outstanding individuals as Williams Dobbs and the Admiral in our program. The press finds people who achieve at the highest level boring and this allows them to overlook the faults of the unsavory in their desire to spin a story.

Reactions: Otis07
I have been to Gainesville and the fan base for the most part are trash. For years the institution that is Florida turned a blind eye to drunk rowdy fans and allowed students to leave and re enter the stadium at halftime. The police turned a blind eye to the antics that occurred in the "gauntlet". The institution allowed that crap to build a atmosphere to establish a so called home field advantage. The hate filled name calling is just another example of what I have come to expect from the Florida experience. Many will say it is not fair to paint all who attend Florida events with the label of trash and maybe it is not. On the other hand the Florida people who may not participate in such antics allow this crap to continue. As far as I am concerned that makes the entire bunch you as guilty as those that do such things. The conventional wisdom is we should not be buttercups and just accept this because if we win the antics will stop, that is not the way it is.

I wish the lads had refrained from the gator chomp, I hope Barnes addresses this so it does not happen again. I could care less if the Florida base is in an uproar, I just do not want the ESPN media machine highlighting the incident. Williams is a good kid and we have been very lucky to have such outstanding individuals as Williams Dobbs and the Admiral in our program. The press finds people who achieve at the highest level boring and this allows them to overlook the faults of the unsavory in their desire to spin a story.
Plumber good to see you back

VN Store

Back