Gotta read this.

You are correct BigOrangeFan. The person that posted this on Facebook is a booster. I did some research and he has connections and many pictures with former vols, politicians, and even presidential candidates. Looks legit....but who really knows?

Reactions: 2 people
if Gruden was signed, as this thing says, then they truly are retarded if that isnt the starting point for this new search. Give that man what he wants, and itll be 5 years before the fan base comes down off the high of signing Gruden after all this. Literally a license to print money.

We signed gruden, halsams nixed it, we get rid of the haslams.....and sign les miles? How does that make sense. Go get Gruden and quit messing around.

Or this thing could be a lie, and we never had Gruden....so we have to go get les miles.

We never had Gruden and never will. End of story that was never a story

Was originally on FB. I trust the source.

Cool. Reads like the poster defends it on a different site as it is posted there as well.

Have you read it there with the subsequent replies? Not hard to find.

I found it to be a good read personally. No clue on accuracy.

WRONG. This was posted on FB by a guy I've been friends with since high school. He has been heavily involved with all things Tennessee, not just athletics, since we attended UT in the mid to late 70's. If anyone would know all this, it would be him.

Thank you for input. I saw this post last night and it looks legit to me.

Reactions: 1 person
Trey Wallace on Twitter corroborating part of the OP’s post....

Source: Former Tennessee AD John Currie took a private plane associated with a previous employer to meet with Mike Leach in Los Angeles earlier this week in a bid to circumvent Phillip Fulmer’s influence in coaching hire.

Reactions: 3 people
Good Read - fictional or not. My thoughts though are:

Now that Davenport and the Board of Trustees are finally involved with this search, WHY can't we go back to Gruden and say "the team is yours - you have all power to do as you please" ??

Because Fulmer wouldn't have FULL control of the football team if Gruden was in complete charge. Same circus, different ringmaster.

Reactions: 6 people
Who in their right mind would think that Fulmer would relinquish control now that he's got the AD job after waiting 10 years? That would be ZERO chance.

Have to agree... Phil has a lot of reasons to "be in control of the program" as we work our way out of the wilderness.

New coach will toe the line and answer to Phil. Good or bad.

Because Fulmer wouldn't have FULL control of the football team if Gruden was in complete charge. Same circus, different ringmaster.

Fulmer has a 2 year contract so how much control will he have long term. He needs to make a great hire to unite the fan base which will cement his legacy.

This is an issue for me..

...but Haslam nixed the hire because Gruden wanted total control of the program like Saban has at Bama & Meyer at OSU, & Haslam was determined not to let go of his control of everything.

How in the name of everything sane can a booster nix a hire? He is not on the board nor was he part of the HC search committee... so that blows my mind. The only way that has legs is that Haslam has the enough of the weaker minded board members under his direct control. Which needs to be nipped in the bud, if true.

Idk if Gruden was signed or not , but to think Haslam has no control because he isn’t on some board is just naive. He controls everything when it comes to UT sports. And has for awhile now. The entire family does.

We never had Gruden and never will. End of story that was never a story

Agree. Most everything the OP stated was logical and, in fact, included much of what I’ve heard other trusted media say in bits in pieces.

I was with him on everything except the Gruden stuff. AT NO POINT in time were we even remotely close on our dear beloved planet earth to having Jon Gruden become our head coach.

This power struggle is gonna end up destroying the very thing everyone wants to control. There will literally be nothing left to control

Fulmer in control...... Sounds like a recipe for disaster. If Phil gets on board with Jon the mere securing him as head coach and turning the reins over will make Phil a hero. Shortest way out of this debacle. I hate to think we are going to take the long road to bail us out of this atrocious mess our administrators and boosters have dumped on us. I for one do not have the patience to watch and endure any more curb stompings or endure this crap for 3-5 more years.

The gullability and naïveté of some of you truly amazes me.

I'm particularly fond of the Fulmer sabotage stories. There was a great one today in some self important news rag about how Phil has been laying in wait for ten years to get the crew who ousted him - including Currie.

I do have a real problem though reconciling the guy who was so addled by old age that the game passed him by and the good ole Middle Tennessee boy who could teach Machiavelli, Mao, and Ho a few tricks. Who knows; maybe it will all be explained in the further Adventures of Wu Fat Fil - the guy who buried James Bond and all the pretenders.

Why stop there though. Maybe Phil took an instant dislike to Currie one fine day, and deliberately sabotaged his career to set the whole plan in motion. According to a lot of guys here he was so devious and so self centered that he probably orchestrated the WY loss, bet heavily against TN, and bankrolled his whole savage payback with the winnings.

All I know is that if Phil single handedly and with malice pulled off a palace coup like this, he's absolutely who I want running Tennessee football. Oh, and for comic relief, I can't wait to see the special hell he has in store for John Adams.

Reactions: 6 people
clickbait...I find this very hard to believe...true businessmen/boosters really wouldn't want the general public/fans to really know about the workings of their inner sanctum, much less discussing exact financial business/booster terms with the masses and it's written too well for it to be nothing less than a fake trying to slander the intended victims...sounds likes political/financial/ sabotage against the Haslams, for whom I have no true love for either, but this is pure trash...:twocents:...:peace2:

PS. all legends are grounded in a grain of the truth, but this is ridiculous...please somebody prove me wrong...and I don't mean a twitter novel...:):)

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WRONG. This was posted on FB by a guy I've been friends with since high school. He has been heavily involved with all things Tennessee, not just athletics, since we attended UT in the mid to late 70's. If anyone would know all this, it would be him.

Yeah, I've got a guy just like that living next door. I handle it in the flow through mode - in one ear and out the other; don't need fictional clutter in between.

This was a post from UT booster on Twitter. Interesting read. Fact or Fiction??

Here's what REALLY happened at UT, not what you saw & heard at the press conference:
Remember that you read this here first:
Ergen, Thornton, & Davis, among others, had enough of Haslam's pick for AD botching the coaching hire & embarrassing our/their alma mater. It was becoming a bad reflection on them as businessmen to be portrayed in such a bad light nationally, since they are known to be prominent donors to UT.
They gave Davenport an ultimatum & she called Currie in off the road. He went anyway on a plane owned by one of his KSU donors at his former school, which is why no one could find him or contact him yesterday.
Peyton had aligned himself with the Haslams, & one rumor is that he has been offered a piece of the Browns to run them when they inevitably clean house for the second time at the end of the season. Other rumors abound that the Haslams have promised the Mannings they will help them be able to acquire another NFL franchise or a piece of one.
Leach is really interested in this job, but probably won't get it now. That's a real shame, because he & Kiffin are the two best coaches we could have hired, & Spurrier said so today on Finebaum. They know how to recruit & build a staff & run offenses that deploy their weapons to the utmost on the field.
Just a few hours ago, it was Haslam & Manning aligned on one side, pitted against Ergen, Thornton, & Davis on the other. They contacted Fulmer, who met them at the airport. Haslam & Manning wanted Sigmon named interim AD. The others wanted Fulmer & said they were ending their donations if he wasn't given the job on some basis.
Ergen was giving $35M annually to UT when Fulmer was here as coach & has only given $10M annually since. He told UT he would make up for any shortfall in what the Haslams may withhold.
You can tell that Davenport is in way over her head in this job & was visibly shaken at the press conference. She didn't know how to answer any of the questions.
The reason Currie didn't use a search firm is that he was given a list of 3 coaches to interview by Haslam that Davenport signed off on. In order, they were 1. Gruden, 2. Kelly, & 3. Schiano. Gruden was already signed & ready to come, as some of these other boosters had already gotten his agreement, but Haslam nixed the hire because Gruden wanted total control of the program like Saban has at Bama & Meyer at OSU, & Haslam was determined not to let go of his control of everything.
By the time Currie got to Kelly, he had already been approached by both Florida & UCLA, & had decided to go to one of those places. Currie went to the Bahamas knowing he was going to offer Schiano when he got back home. It was only when the firestorm hit on Sunday that Currie had to go beyond the original Haslam list, which is when we got started getting turned down by so many others. Currie made a last ditch attempt to save his job by going for Leach, but he wasn't authorized by Haslam or Davenport to be contacted.
Now, the rest of this is speculation, but maybe more educated guess than conjecture:
Cutcliffe, now age 63, & Miles, age 64, will be the two top targets now for HC, with Tee Martin as OC brought in under either of them & groomed to be their successor. That's the plan. Might involve Chavis or Steele as DC. Should have a hire within 48 hours.
Not sure where they will go if this plan doesn't fall through. Only thing that bothers me about Fulmer in this search is that there will probably be no "outside the box" thinking & any new blood other than Tee. Also, he went with Currie to interview Doeren in NC & had signed off on his hire, which would have been a disastrous hire, so it was just fortuitous for us that he turned us down.

Wrong...you heard from the link below first.

Clay Travis: "Game of Thrones meets Tennessee athletics: the real story"

VN Store

Back