Brian Kelly at the time had
3 seasons at Central Michigan:
4-7
6-5
9-4

And 2 at Cincy
10-3
11-3

He became a real option after his undefeated next season.

Feel free to “wish” whatever you want……Patterson was a legit option……Kelly was not.

Also, and especially back then I would have taken Patterson all day every day over Kelly. Patterson kept things rolling for quite a while at TCU. While Kelly landed all the resources in the world at ND and hadn’t done any better until the past few seasons.
So Brian Kelly was 21-6 after two seasons at Cinncy but wasn’t a serious candidate, yet Troy Calhoun, who was 17-9 after two seasons at Air Force, was a serious candidate. Makes complete sense.

Tennessee’s pride has become laughable. Ole Miss sure is enjoyable to watch!!! Wonder how Tennessee would look right now if they’d just swallowed their pride and gone after him when they could have. Tennessee will unfortunately struggle for many more years.

Well, UM looks ok, but take a look at their opponents. I'm holding judgement until a couple of SEC games to make the call he is legit.

So Brian Kelly was 21-6 after two seasons at Cinncy but wasn’t a serious candidate, yet Troy Calhoun, who was 17-9 after two seasons at Air Force, was a serious candidate. Makes complete sense.

well heck I wasn’t in the room.

However Patterson says Tennessee thought the job was too big for him…..more or less.

He had 8 years of head coaching experience at TCU.

“If” they thought the job was too big for him “I” (just my opinion) highly doubt they were a step or two away from hiring Kelly or Calhoun……who both had less experience.

I also stand my my “wish”……..had they hired Patterson Tennessee wouldn’t be in this mess now; although they “may” have needed to find a coach by now…..who knows.

I know quite a few USC alums who are also (well were cause of the drop off under Sark/Helton) who now give Kiffin some slack because of the program he inherited in terms of punishments from the Carroll era.... Because their AD is about inept as Tennessee, a lot of SC fans would have gladly wanted Kiffin to be looked at Post Saban/FAU gig. But yes, whatever someone on internet say must be false.

Oh my apologies then, didn't realize you "know quite a few" of them. That's clearly proof of how the majority of the fan base feels. /eyeroll

I was all for Kiffin coming back to Tennessee because I think the guy can coach BUT….after the silly “get your popcorn ready” and flipping the headset off and getting down 28-0 at half??? Nah I’m good. I’m never speaking his name on here again.
Hold that thought until we beat Ole Miss.

Heupel is a Heisman finalist QB from a national championship team. Kiffin is a permanent punk that did not start on his high school football team - probably due to his dipshoot attitude. Kiff brings his ragtag bunch to Knoxville in a few weeks after beatdowns from Bama and Arkansas. Heup will light his sorry butt up.

I was all for Kiffin coming back to Tennessee because I think the guy can coach BUT….after the silly “get your popcorn ready” and flipping the headset off and getting down 28-0 at half??? Nah I’m good. I’m never speaking his name on here again.
Seriously? That is the thing after all that fool has done, in general and specifically to our University? At least you admitted what most sane people have always known.

Ole Miss has not played anyone until today. Not sure they’re worthy of a #12 ranking. Kiffin’s ego probably helped him make at least a couple of really stupid calls in the 1st half. His interview before the game & at the half we’re pitiful. Only time will tell for certain but I believe TN is much better off long term with coach Heupel.

Kiff is a good coach and an elite football mind….and it’s really hard to dispute that from a “X’s and O’s” standpoint.

The thing is, a PROGRAM’S ceiling is set by the staff’s mind/strategy + team culture + raw talent.

My point is this: I think Kiff and Heup are both elite Offensive minds…….but I think Heups culture trumps what we’d have gotten from Kiff long term.

so walking out the door after season 1 wasn't enough for you to never speak his name again??? IDC how good of a coach he is, if you left us for dead you should be dead to us period.

Ole Miss has not played anyone until today. Not sure they’re worthy of a #12 ranking. Kiffin’s ego probably helped him make at least a couple of really stupid calls in the 1st half. His interview before the game & at the half we’re pitiful. Only time will tell for certain but I believe TN is much better off long term with coach Heupel.

Agreed, Louiville, Austin Peay, and Tulane are definitely not teams that say you deserve a #12 ranking. Seeing what Bama are doing to them, and how crappy Arkansas looked today, I’m not sure we’ll get a good feel on their level of play until our game with them. OM vs Ark will be an interesting game. And as I’m sitting here watching the SC/Troy game, makes me think we’ll handle SC in Neyland next week. Hopefully, we play well and build on our momentum. I think the UT vs OM will be a great measuring stick on in season improvement barring injuries out of this game and next. I hate that we are thin on the depth, that is the part that could derail our season. Go Vols

“Get your popcorn ready” LOL. More like get your TV remote ready unless you enjoy beatdowns.

I have always thought Kiffin's about as good as he is. Whatever the scoreboard says he is, that's about what he is.

Maybe someday he'll win a lot of games. We'll just have to wait and see.

so walking out the door after season 1 wasn't enough for you to never speak his name again??? IDC how good of a coach he is, if you left us for dead you should be dead to us period.
a coach leaving for their dream job after 3-4 guys passed up is not something I’m gonna hold a grudge for over a decade.

You can deny all you want but if the shoe was on the other foot and we had a coach we offered one year into their current job who referred to Tennessee as their dream job, you wouldn’t care how their current job felt about it.

Plenty to not like about Kiffin but to hold a grudge for him leaving for his dream job makes you look like a clown.

VN Store

Back