GONZAGA-UCLA

It was every bit as good of a game as Duke vs Kentucky.Plus it was on a bigger stage.This was a final four game and I think Duke and Kentucky was a regional final. I am glad that I am so damn old that I got to watch both as they unfolded in real time.It was hard getting to sleep after the game last night .Whst a last 10 minutes

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Ill be stunned if Gonzaga doesn't choke like it always does
Well first, They hardly ever “choke.” Since 2010 they have underperformed their seed just twice in the tournament. Secondly, you would consider losing to Baylor choking?

Reactions: 05_never_again
That was a truly incredible game. Seems to me, after a win like that, it's going to be hard to refocus and regroup to face a tough team like Baylor. If Gonzaga can pull it off, then they should be in the conversation as one of the best teams ever.

Reactions: MAD
That was a truly incredible game. Seems to me, after a win like that, it's going to be hard to refocus and regroup to face a tough team like Baylor. If Gonzaga can pull it off, then they should be in the conversation as one of the best teams ever.
1976 Indiana says hi

Well first, They hardly ever “choke.” Since 2010 they have underperformed their seed just twice in the tournament. Secondly, you would consider losing to Baylor choking?

I just mean I feel like I always hear "Gonzaga should win it all" very often and how many have they won.

I just mean I feel like I always hear "Gonzaga should win it all" very often and how many have they won.
Yeah but that's not them choking so much as random media talking heads with the insight and intelligence of the average Internet poster spewing stuff.

Reactions: UTK
Yeah but that's not them choking so much as random media talking heads with the insight and intelligence of the average Internet poster spewing stuff.

To be fair college basketball is probably the hardest sport to win a championship in since you have to do a crazy one loss elimination tournament with 68 teams. Pretty brutal. But it's just surprising to me Gonzaga hasn't got one yet, some great teams over the years.

Reactions: Plecoptera
Gonzaga has reached rarified air as a mid-major when UTK suggests they should be winning more national titles.

Gonzaga has reached rarified air as a mid-major when UTK suggests they should be winning more national titles.
latest

Gonzaga was a cinderella story every year until about 5 years ago, when they started becoming a favorite to win it all. During that time, they've been a runner up, made an Elite Eight, and made a Sweet 16. If that's choking every year, can we sign Tennessee up for that?

I mean, look at the institution. It's a 7,500 student private school in Spokane, WA. They "shouldn't be winning" basically anything. It's amazing what Mark Few has been able to build there.

Gonzaga was a cinderella story every year until about 5 years ago, when they started becoming a favorite to win it all. During that time, they've been a runner up, made an Elite Eight, and made a Sweet 16. If that's choking every year, can we sign Tennessee up for that?

I mean, look at the institution. It's a 7,500 student private school in Spokane, WA. They "shouldn't be winning" basically anything. It's amazing what Mark Few has been able to build there.
They played UNC in the title game a few years back. In theory, they should never win that game or probably even be there.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Yeah, it's crazy. There's no good reason why there should be a good basketball program there. Amazing what they've done.
Indeed. Before they arrived on the scene in the 1999 NCAA Tournament, with wins over Minnesota, Stanford and Florida, they were only known for being where John Stockton played in college - that is if you had heard of them at all. Dan Monson really got the ball rolling. I bet he regrets leaving.

Incidentally, it was Gonzaga who was playing Loyola Marymount when Hank Gathers collapsed and died in March of 1990. Loyola Marymount won that game 121-84. Loyola Marymount also beat Gonzaga 144-100 earlier that season. Before 1999, the Zags were a joke.

Reactions: MAD
Indeed. Before they arrived on the scene in the 1999 NCAA Tournament, with wins over Minnesota, Stanford and Florida, they were only known for being where John Stockton played in college - that is if you had heard of them at all. Dan Monson really got the ball rolling. I bet he regrets leaving.

Incidentally, it was Gonzaga who was playing Loyola Marymount when Hank Gathers collapsed and died in March of 1990. Loyola Marymount won that game 121-84. Loyola Marymount also beat Gonzaga 144-100 earlier that season. Before 1999, the Zags were a joke.
Dan Dickau got the ball rolling. Morrison just rode the momentum to new heights

Dan Dickau...wow, talk about a blast from the past. Don't think I've heard his name since he was there.

The amazing thing about Gonzaga is how quick/out of nowhere their rise was. It wasn't like a slow build over many seasons like Oregon or Boise St football. They made their first NCAAT in 1995. They made it again in 1999 and it's like they've never looked back; they've never missed a tournament since then.

They were good prior to Dickau. Dan Monson's team in 1999 made the Elite 8 and nearly pulled off a huge upset of UConn, who was the eventual champion. That team had players like Richie Frahm, Jeremy Eaton, Casey Calvary and Matt Santangelo.

VN Store

Back