Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Would anyone happen to know if that small Greek restaurant in Vestil is still there?

Reactions: MAD
Does anybody remember the Bike athletic factory outlet or something? My Uncle used to work there and they would let me and my brother come in on weekends occasionally and let us pick through boxes of old t-shirts that never got sold. I think at one point I had a t-shirt for every Knox and Blount county high school. I can't remember where it used to be. I think Russell athletic bought out Bike many years ago.
We use to buy coaches shorts and tube socks in the late 70s and early 80s

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
When I was in school up there, there was a place called Myobis. I think it changed name to Misobi or similar. It was out at West Town. Is it still there?

Back in the late 80s there was an apartment complex on Cedar Bluff Rd called Sunchase (I’m sure it’s still there but under a different name) but they had an indoor pool and were terribly lax about locking out access to it so we used to swim there frequently.

The Days Inn at Cedar Bluff was also an easy place to swim back then, they didn’t pay any attention to who was using their pool, went there quite a bit as well.

The best one was the Jewish Community Center on Deane Hill near Kingston Pike. We used to go there at night to play tennis, we’d turn the lights on ourselves and play for a few hours. Or go use their nice swimming pool. No one ever said boo...

...until one night, a really nice man showed up while we were playing tennis and said hey guys, we have memberships that people pay for that let them use these facilities and it helps pay for the costs of upkeep, and it’s really not fair to them to let others come play here for free so I’d appreciate it if you guys didn’t come do this... but hey, you don’t have to stop right now, finish your match and all, and please remember to turn off the lights when you leave. And then he said good night and left.

We did not finish our match. We just looked at each other and felt really shïtty about ourselves, then turned off the lights and left. And never played there again.

Couldn’t pick the dude out of a lineup if I had to, but to this day I’ll say he was a pretty cool guy.

Back in the late 80s there was an apartment complex on Cedar Bluff Rd called Sunchase (I’m sure it’s still there but under a different name) but they had an indoor pool and were terribly lax about locking out access to it so we used to swim there frequently.

The Days Inn at Cedar Bluff was also an easy place to swim back then, they didn’t pay any attention to who was using their pool, went there quite a bit as well.

The best one was the Jewish Community Center on Deane Hill near Kingston Pike. We used to go there at night to play tennis, we’d turn the lights on ourselves and play for a few hours. Or go use their nice swimming pool. No one ever said boo...

...until one night, a really nice man showed up while we were playing tennis and said hey guys, we have memberships that people pay for that let them use these facilities and it helps pay for the costs of upkeep, and it’s really not fair to them to let others come play here for free so I’d appreciate it if you guys didn’t come do this... but hey, you don’t have to stop right now, finish your match and all, and please remember to turn off the lights when you leave. And then he said good night and left.

We did not finish our match. We just looked at each other and felt really shïtty about ourselves, then turned off the lights and left. And never played there again.

Couldn’t pick the dude out of a lineup if I had to, but to this day I’ll say he was a pretty cool guy.
Cool story. I used to play on those courts, they were really nice.

Reactions: ArdentVol

I used to go swim at Capella Apartments on Gleason Dr., but also would swim at the public pool in Concord

Reactions: Boca Vol
I remember 1st going to Wild WIng Cafe in Charleston & Mt. Pleasant back in the late '90's. Their 5 X 5 platter was around $10. Inflation is a bitch!
I remember going to Hooters back in the day for "Dime Time." It was an hour or two on Thursday nights I think and wings were a dime each. We would order like 50 each. Then they changed it to "triple nickel" and people went nuts because the price of a wing went up 5 cents lol.

Confetti's. Somewhere out west. I just remember they would bring a bus to campus and pick up students and take them. Thursdays was college nite - $.25 drinks.

Anyone been to Big Ed's in Oak Ridge lately? We used to go there back in the 80's from Lenoir City.

Anyone been to Big Ed's in Oak Ridge lately? We used to go there back in the 80's from Lenoir City.
I used to have a Big Ed’s tshirt that I bought there one time. After I first moved to California in summer of ‘97, the Vols played UCLA at the Rose Bowl that fall. I thought it’d be a fun touch of home to wear my Big Ed’s shirt to the game instead of my usual Vols shirt (still wore a UT cap) and I had more people holler at me than at any game I’ve ever been to. “Big Ed’s!!” “Hey! I love big Ed’s!” It was a nice antidote to the lingering homesickness.

Reactions: Boca Vol and MAD
1968, 9 I was in High school and worked at Jackson Square Pharmacy. It was in the same shopping area, about 300 yds away. Big Ed came to town and opened his pizza restaurant. On his 1st or 2nd night he brought pizza to all the other businesses for the owners and employees. We thought it was good.
I left home fall of 70 so never went there that much.
They've been closed for several years now.

Reactions: Ted

VN Store

Back