Golesh to CU?

He should take whatever lifeline he can get. Hooker made him look like a genius and it’s doubtful his star is shining as brightly a year from now.

From 2015-2020 Heupel's quarterbacks have averaged about 3,140 yards passing, and that includes a 9 game stint for one QB in 2015. Take that out and from 2016 to 2020 they averaged 3,449 yards passing. I don't think the offense will be a problem as long as Heupel is here. So I guess Heupel has been bailed out by Drew Lock, and McKenzie Milton, and Dillon Gabriel, and Hendon Hooker.... or maybe, just maybe he can develop good to great QBs

Heupel's QB's by the numbers

He should take whatever lifeline he can get. Hooker made him look like a genius and it’s doubtful his star is shining as brightly a year from now.

I have no comment on if he should take the gig really other than he should do what he feels is best. That said I don’t think it was Hooker making him look like a genius. I love HH and he did amazing things, but he was not the QB he ended up being when he first got here. Hooker was developed into a much better QB by CJH and his staff. I have no idea how much of that was Golesh but I do know everywhere Heupel goes he has developed elite offenses and especially elite QBs. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a dip in performance next year but I also wouldn’t be surprised to to see Milton suddenly looking like the best QB in the country. If some other QB plays same thing. I would be surprised if by the season after next we don’t have a top offense again..

I love Hooker. He's proven to be a great competitor and leader. But it would be more true to say that Heupel/Golesh made him look great than the other way round. He was mediocre and lost his job at VT. He comes to UT to play for Pruitt... how bad do your options have to be to choose that? Two years later playing for these guys and he's a Heisman candidate and considered one of the top 5 QB's in CFB.

What are the chances Hooker would have reached that peak had he stayed at VT? Zero. What are the chances he would have gotten there if Pruitt had not been fired? Zero.

I have no comment on if he should take the gig really other than he should do what he feels is best. That said I don’t think it was Hooker making him look like a genius. I love HH and he did amazing things, but he was not the QB he ended up being when he first got here. Hooker was developed into a much better QB by CJH and his staff. I have no idea how much of that was Golesh but I do know everywhere Heupel goes he has developed elite offenses and especially elite QBs. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a dip in performance next year but I also wouldn’t be surprised to to see Milton suddenly looking like the best QB in the country. If some other QB plays same thing. I would be surprised if by the season after next we don’t have a top offense again..
If we don't, it will be time to move on...assuming CJH doesn't leave on his own before then.

If he’s smart he will hold out for a bigger job offer. If he keeps doing what he’s done here so far, it’ll come

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Colorado is a coaches’ graveyard as are some of the other places mentioned in this thread. I understand career advancement, and I will never tell someone how to navigate this unpredictable maze. While the opportunity to make $3-5 million dollars doesn’t come along every day, I hope he will exercise some patience. If he is really good, better options will be there.

Life changing money would be the motivating factor, I’d think.

The golden parachutes offered these days makes the risk of going to a turd program, less “risky”.
Colorado has a state law about paying government employees, which he would be. This has come up before in regards to their coaching hires. It’s a $2.5 million cap I believe. Not saying that isn’t a major salary boost, but going into that graveyard might not be worth the extra dough.

I love Hooker. He's proven to be a great competitor and leader. But it would be more true to say that Heupel/Golesh made him look great than the other way round. He was mediocre and lost his job at VT. He comes to UT to play for Pruitt... how bad do your options have to be to choose that? Two years later playing for these guys and he's a Heisman candidate and considered one of the top 5 QB's in CFB.

What are the chances Hooker would have reached that peak had he stayed at VT? Zero. What are the chances he would have gotten there if Pruitt had not been fired? Zero.
Correct. The notion that Hooker made Heupel/Golesh look better than they are is absolutely absurd. The track record of Heupel and the track record of Hooker prove it.

I know most OCs/DCs would jump at the opportunity to be HC at a P5 program, but I really hope Golesh doesn't go to Colorado. That program feels dead. Selfishly, I want him to stick around, but even un-selfishly, I feel like he'd be better off staying here and waiting for a better opportunity even if he'd probably make $2 mil more at CU.

Colorado is a coaches’ graveyard as are some of the other places mentioned in this thread. I understand career advancement, and I will never tell someone how to navigate this unpredictable maze. While the opportunity to make $3-5 million dollars doesn’t come along every day, I hope he will exercise some patience. If he is really good, better options will be there.
I don't know. He is not from a football family, like Kiffin or Beamer. Unlike most P5 coaches, he did not play college or pro ball. The only "comp" I can think of is Mike Leach who started his head coaching at the P5 powerhouse Texas Tech.

USF, GA Tech, Colorado?? No, no, no, no, no. Why should he take any ol head coaching job that just pops up like that? He should bide his time and build on his resume here until some real programs offer.

I think USF and GT would be great opportunities for him. USF has ample access to Florida talent. GT has underperformed for a long time and he could potentially turn it around.

Just not Colorado. That's a career-killer right now.

I personally love the way the guy calls games but he has no ability to adjust... Id say that comes with only having two years as a full time OC... He needs to stay put and build a resume like his mentor.. Also in this second year there have only been two instances in which we needed actual adjustments...

Golesh may or may not take a HC job to advance his career. Some of you are sounding like it’s rats jumping from a sinking ship which is nothing more than BVS. The reality is that we’ll finish at 10-2 or 9-3 which is ahead of schedule for Heupels rebuild. We’ll recruit, develop and continue onward and upward.

GaTech is a program with huge potential. The in-state talent pool is bigger than the programs feeding off of it can pull.
GaTech is a sleeping giant, especially if the academic requirements relax. If the academics stay the same, a good staff can win there with the correct pitch. The ACC is ripe for new programs to win.

i think he waits for a good job. no reason to jump for a high risk like CU. BUT if he doesnt its not the end of the world. he doesn't call plays here

What is a good HC job for a first timer these days? Not the likes of UT, Aub, nor even MS St or Ole Miss.
Something non-SEC? Something where you have regional connections & experience recruiting? Something with a recruiting base of 3*'s a plenty?
2nd tier Fla, Ga, TX, La? Maybe NC?
USF, Coastal C, Ga St, Wake, Duke, etc???

What is a good HC job for a first timer these days? Not the likes of UT, Aub, nor even MS St or Ole Miss.
Something non-SEC? Something where you have regional connections & experience recruiting? Something with a recruiting base of 3*'s a plenty?
2nd tier Fla, Ga, TX, La? Maybe NC?
USF, Coastal C, Ga St, Wake, Duke, etc???
i think he would be better to wait for a good g5 job with has good program support

VN Store

Back