glad we fired Holly for this

I will be SHOCKED if we get any big recruits in the 2021 class.

Depends upon what you call "big" recruits.

We already have Striplin. Ranked 35 by Prospects Nation and 53 by ESPN. That's better than Key in one and slightly behind in the other. Oregon and others wanted her.

I've asked this before but got no answer. Exactly what Top 25 players had expressed enthusiastic interest in coming to Tennessee but then changed their minds after Kellie was hired?

All I can figure out is that people dreamed that UT was going to throw a boatload of cash at the handful of "name" coaches in hopes that they would leave the successful programs they had built (and in some cases become synonymous with) in the hopes that recruits would either decommit or leave those schools to follow their coach to UT and that future recruits would be knocking down the doors to play for that coach.

How much cash do you think it would have taken to get Pat Summitt to leave Tennessee to go rebuild a program in shambles elsewhere?

Harper was an emotional hire by Fulmer, had she never played here she never would have been in the conversation. Just like when people were screaming for Tee Martin to be head coach, take the fact that he played here out of it and those conversations don't happen. You know the worst part about hiring former players? They're really hard to fire because of the emotional ties, which is why I will always be against it. I don't even want Peyton Manning here

We already have Striplin. Ranked 35 by Prospects Nation and 53 by ESPN. That's better than Key in one and slightly behind in the other. Oregon and others wanted her.

I've asked this before but got no answer. Exactly what Top 25 players had expressed enthusiastic interest in coming to Tennessee but then changed their minds after Kellie was hired?

All I can figure out is that people dreamed that UT was going to throw a boatload of cash at the handful of "name" coaches in hopes that they would leave the successful programs they had built (and in some cases become synonymous with) in the hopes that recruits would either decommit or leave those schools to follow their coach to UT and that future recruits would be knocking down the doors to play for that coach.

How much cash do you think it would have taken to get Pat Summitt to leave Tennessee to go rebuild a program in shambles elsewhere?
I’m talking top 10-15

At least there isn’t a late season losing skid under the new coaching.....oh wait, nvm.

Yeah, who could have predicted a "losing skid" from a team that barely made the tournament last year and then lost key players and 2/3 of their scoring leaders from last year could possibly lose to #1, #8, and #16 in a four-game stretch? That was entirely unforeseen.

Not like seeing #4 NC State lose back-to-back games against #9 Louisville and unranked Ga. Tech (after barely winning by 3 against unranked Duke a week earlier). Because "good" teams don't lose consecutive teams in February.

If Massengill and Davis continue to improve next year, Green is back healthy, and Horston and Key improve at the rate that Jaz and Rennia have done, then we will see a different team next year, especially with the addition of another guard and a three-point shooter with height.

Harper was an emotional hire by Fulmer, had she never played here she never would have been in the conversation. Just like when people were screaming for Tee Martin to be head coach, take the fact that he played here out of it and those conversations don't happen. You know the worst part about hiring former players? They're really hard to fire because of the emotional ties, which is why I will always be against it. I don't even want Peyton Manning here
I think that might be the worse hires you can make. They have an emotional attachment that could get in the way of making hard decisions. I see many negative sides to hiring former athletes as a schools coach and few positives based on the emotional aspects. I think it gets in the way....but....it could work....but then again...

Yeah, who could have predicted a "losing skid" from a team that barely made the tournament last year and then lost key players and 2/3 of their scoring leaders from last year could possibly lose to #1, #8, and #16 in a four-game stretch? That was entirely unforeseen.

Not like seeing #4 NC State lose back-to-back games against #9 Louisville and unranked Ga. Tech (after barely winning by 3 against unranked Duke a week earlier). Because "good" teams don't lose consecutive teams in February.

If Massengill and Davis continue to improve next year, Green is back healthy, and Horston and Key improve at the rate that Jaz and Rennia have done, then we will see a different team next year, especially with the addition of another guard and a three-point shooter with height.
You’re assuming they’re all coming back...

Reactions: mcannon1
I’m talking top 10-15

You do realize that most of those players have been recruited and offered by other programs for years. Again, which top 10-15 players were leaning toward Tennessee and then dropped us from consideration after Kellie was hired? And which prospective hires that were realistic possibilities would have convinced them to come here?

I thought Wes Moore would have been a good "interim" hire to try to stabilize the ship for about five years (he's 62 and isn't going to coach forever) because of his proven track record and the ability to give him a raise (which NC State gave him to keep him there). Right now, he makes about the same as Kellie. Otherwise, there aren't any "big names" who either have any interest in leaving their institution or who would have left to accept far less money than they're making right now in a secure situation.

I think that might be the worse hires you can make. They have an emotional attachment that could get in the way of making hard decisions. I see many negative sides to hiring former athletes as a schools coach and few positives based on the emotional aspects. I think it gets in the way....but....it could work....but then again...

I really can't point to many situations where it has worked out

Reactions: superfly
I’m talking top 10-15
So a staff that hasn't been here 10 months is supposed to go out and wrestle away the top 10-15 players from Geno, Tara, Dawn, etc.? These people have had years to build relationships with players and parents but our staff is just supposed to come in and snap their fingers to make recruits come here. Really? SMH. I know one player in the eighth grade that is getting letters from P-5 schools. It sure would help if people would understand how things really work instead of having rainbows and sugar plums dancing in their heads.

Everyone wanted Coach Pruitt fired and he has managed to turn the football program around after he inherited a mess. Let's give Coach Kellie the same respectability and some time. I'm disappointed also in some aspects of the program that have not been addressed but she inherited a mess also. Not
sure Jeff Waltz could have straightened out some of the persistent problems we have in one years time either. It is what it is. We still might get a couple more wins. Be patient.

Brenda Frese says it usually takes 3 years of relationship building to get a top recruit. And then you are still competing with others that have been courting the player for the same length of time. Coaches are already looking at the 2023 class.

I really can't point to many situations where it has worked out

In women's basketball, how many times has a coach been hired by their alma mater? Also, considering that men comprise quite a few of the "top tier" coaches, that excludes quite a few from even being eligible.

And it seems a little silly to suggest that Vanderveer, Staley, McGraw, Auriemma, Graves, Blair, Schaefer, etc. couldn't be successful at the schools they attended (assuming the schools were willing to invest in the program and facilities).

Most people think a coach named Kim Mulkey would have done decently at La. Tech (where she really wanted to stay) had they shown her an iota of respect when Baylor came calling.

The men have quite a few examples including three who have won basketball national championships.

In other sports, former players have done quite well at coaching. Majors and Fulmer are two good examples at Tennessee.

Last edited:

Good post Creekdipper'

That is totally made up BS.

I was told that Phil really wanted to hire a "name coach" but when he had to up the ante for Barnes, he had to "settle." He received lots of pressure to hire a female and Harper was pushed. The fan base will give her lots of leeway, as they did Holly, because she is a former Lady Vol, but I fear that the longer the lady vols are irrelevant, the interest will wane and Tennessee will continue to be an after-thought for the premier players.

As great as Pat was, she did not get the prize until she had the superstars that have eluded this team for way too long. I hope that Kellie will pull in a top three player very soon and prove that everything that I have posted is wrong.

(duplicate post made by error).

But since I've already used the space, might be good to point out that Walz inherited a Louisville team that had gone 27-8 the previous season. In fairness, the program had been stalling in the opening rounds of the NCAA tournament in the three years before his hiring, and he took them to the Sweet Sixteen his first year and was NCAA runner-up his third-year. The following year (his third), he had a losing season and only won 14 games.

The only problems I see are Our youth, a lack of leadership, conditioning, our bigs With the turnovers trying to give them the ball and free throw shooting. Injuries have caused us problems But we're light- years ahead of Where we would be with our old coach.

A good test will be to see the following for the 2021 season:

(1) Have the returning players improved individually?

(2) Has team play improved?

(3) Do the incoming freshmen recruited by this staff look more fundamentally sound than this year's freshmen?

Even though it's still just the first season, seems fair to discuss the possibility of adding either an ace recruiter to the staff or someone who is known for developing offenses (just as LSU brought in a new coordinator with outstanding results, although having a Heisman winner didn't hurt). The problem is that, with the more limited opportunities for top talent in women's basketball, most of the coaches who have demonstrated that sort of talent have been offered head jobs somewhere (unless they're waiting in the wings to take over the program).

It would also be helpful to have input from former players, staff, school administrators, etc. who have watched this staff together. Jon Harper draws a lot of attention because of the lackluster post play and because he hasn't turned a freshman and two upperclassmen (one who rarely saw the floor until her final season) into worldbeaters. It would be great to hear from observers who really know basketball to hear their impressions of the workout sessions and teaching techniques. Jon also is an obvious target for criticism because of his relationship with Kellie. If he's a good post coach (and the success of Mo. State post players such as Willard suggests that might be the case), then he earns his money. I'm not sure what sort of improvement fans expected to see from some of our posts this year. Key has gotten more aggressive in many respects while fouling less, and she seems to be building more stamina to stay in the game.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back