Give Barnes a Lifetime contract!!!

Barnes has always known when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. With the woeful roster he has returning and the loss of Lanier, he is set to fold 'em and move west. Best of luck to Rick and his family - a terrific coach underappreciated by 2 different UT shades of orange.

This is the biggest no brainer in the history of Tennessee coaching moves. Barnes is a future hall of fame coach that has proven he can still win with anyone. Not to mention that he is in his sixtys and a “lifetime” contract isn’t many years unless he is still coaching in his 90’s, which I’m totally fine with at this point.

Give the man a lifetime contract and make sure he retires as a Vol!
No!! He's a very good coach but this team underachieved from their preseason expectations. Lifetime contract should be reserved for coaches who consistently make the final four or win national when's National Championships and even then I don't know if it's appropriate. What you do something like that you take out the incentive and the hunger and Fire in the belly.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
This is the biggest no brainer in the history of Tennessee coaching moves. Barnes is a future hall of fame coach that has proven he can still win with anyone. Not to mention that he is in his sixtys and a “lifetime” contract isn’t many years unless he is still coaching in his 90’s, which I’m totally fine with at this point.

Oh, Hell no! We should NEVER give ANY coach a lifetime contract.

NO

giphy.gif

We have the most bipolar fanbase in America. Today's fanbase would turn on General Neyland for fighting in WWII and turn on Ray Mears for losing in the opening round with Ernie and Bernie.

Sheeesh!

Reactions: Vols410 and JoAllan
I’m a big Barnes fan. I thought it was kind of a steal they way he landed at Tennessee. I also think Barnes is doing a good job.........better in years 3 and 4 than most expected, when he first arrived. However anyone can stay at a decent to good situation longer than they should. Barnes still has many good years left........but does Tennessee want to be on the hook once those have passed him by? Tennessee is on the hook for several “bad decisions” either the hiring, the firing, or the length of stay. Barnes was not a bad decision, but if he stayed 10 heck 15 years it would probably turn into one.

Fulmer should call his bluff. UCLA isnt going to hire him and he doesn't want to go.

Barnes has a historically weak NCAA tourney resume and hasn't raised a banner of any kind in the rafters while here.

He is the second highest paid coach in the SEC and 14th overall.

Some would say he is already being over paid as he has won nothing of merit to this point.

Supposedly Fulmer has countered at $5M / year. If that's true and CRB still leaves, I will be shocked.

Women's basketball shouldn't even factor into the football or men's basketball budget Imo. In the same way that I think football should take precedence to our basketball. Football first, men's bball second then I don't care what they do with the rest

Okay, that's enough..Lets clear the air about the end of his Texas tenure! Why so many of you try to denigrate his stay at Texas is baseless. When he had a dumb $sz A D, that gave him orders to fire an assistant coach, without cause, the man had the gonads , to do the Right thing. I tip my hat to any man that has principles and willing at personal loss to do the right thing.

Somebody, please feel free to kick my soapbox out from under me..I'M Done1
You might want to read my post again. I never mentioned anything about HOW it ended. So, maybe you're trying to "clear the air" with another poster, but clearly, your response to my post is puzzling at best.

Fulmer should call his bluff. UCLA isnt going to hire him and he doesn't want to go.

Barnes has a historically weak NCAA tourney resume and hasn't raised a banner of any kind in the rafters while here.

He is the second highest paid coach in the SEC and 14th overall.

Some would say he is already being over paid as he has won nothing of merit to this point.
But but but he won a lot of regular season games this year!!!!

No! Let him go. I'm sure he would find Calfornia living interesting, for sure.

NO Way!!!! If Williams goes pro, We might [50% chance] be showing him the door in two years. Unless he signs 2 or 3 four or five stars a year we will not keep up with the SEC talent wise. You can not continue to sign low 3 star plays and have the success we have had in the last two years.
Someone clearly doesnt keep up with recruiting

Reactions: lccstory@gmail.co
Best coach ? Maybe you should go to California with Barnes and hit the comedy circuit

Horse hockey. Ray Mears was the best coach in UT history. No contest IMO. Not only could he coach, but the man was a showman. He's the father of UT basketball.

Horse hockey. Ray Mears was the best coach in UT history. No contest IMO. Not only could he coach, but the man was a showman. He's the father of UT basketball.

Good grief. Mears never won a single NCAA tournament game. Different era for sure but with King and Grunfeld? Add in the mental health issues and I think most of the Mears fans are too young to remember those times. Ray was near the top of the SEC - only about 3 or 4 teams really took basketball seriously at the time and he would rate below Barnes and Bruce in my book and a toss up with Don DeVoe. Ray was quite a showman and had things rolling no doubt but nationally they were basically irrelevant.

VN Store

Back