Give Barnes a Lifetime contract!!!

Grudenhaslanded

This is the biggest no brainer in the history of Tennessee coaching moves. Barnes is a future hall of fame coach that has proven he can still win with anyone. Not to mention that he is in his sixtys and a “lifetime” contract isn’t many years unless he is still coaching in his 90’s, which I’m totally fine with at this point.

Give the man a lifetime contract and make sure he retires as a Vol!

This is the biggest no brainer in the history of Tennessee coaching moves. Barnes is a future hall of fame coach that has proven he can still win with anyone. Not to mention that he is in his sixtys and a “lifetime” contract isn’t many years unless he is still coaching in his 90’s, which I’m totally fine with at this point.

Look bigger picture. We're still in it for Butch and his cronies. Pruitt is going year 2, i wont even go there. We have Warlick to replace. Can we afford the millions? Arent we running in the red?

I dont disagree, it makes sense to us. but, numbers may tell a different story. Fulmer cant make money grow on trees. Remember Hamilton and that bammer?

I dont want Fulmer to get unfair criticism for other's stupidity. If he makes dumb decisions, then, it is what it is.

Reactions: JoAllan

I like Barnes, I think he's done a fantastic job here but this would be a dumb move on Tennessee's part to give him a lifetime contract.

NO Way!!!! If Williams goes pro, We might [50% chance] be showing him the door in two years. Unless he signs 2 or 3 four or five stars a year we will not keep up with the SEC talent wise. You can not continue to sign low 3 star plays and have the success we have had in the last two years.

Reactions: SoILVolFan
No Elite 8 appearance
No Final Four appearance
No Natty
No SEC tournament championship

And you think Barnes deserves a LIFETIME contract? Are effing high??? Right now there are only 3 coaches that deserve that kind of contract. Saban deserves it, Mike Kryzewski deserves it, Geno Auriemma deserves it...and that's about it! Those coaches have won multiple championships and have dominated their sport. Sorry but Barnes is not at that level. Not even close, really.

No Elite 8 appearance
No Final Four appearance
No Natty

And you think Barnes deserves a LIFETIME contract? Are effing high??? Right now there are only 3 coaches that deserve that kind of contract. Saban deserves it, Mike Kryzewski deserves it, Geno Auriemma deserves it...and that's about it! Those coaches have won multiple championships and have dominated their sport. Sorry but Barnes is not at that level. Not even close, really.

You’re right. Tennessee basketball can do better. Just like we did with football when Fulmer left.

No Elite 8 appearance
No Final Four appearance
No Natty

Thank you!

NO. Let's just get in the ball park money wise and he isn't going anywhere.

#1 and this is something nobody is discussing - state taxes. 12.3%. It's massive. I used to work and live in NYC which is around 9 and it's noticeable. Add in the emotional cost of moving your family, starting over, having to rebuild a program at west.

He's 64. If we pony up some cash on the same amount of years he's going nowhere.

Reactions: JoAllan
Look bigger picture. We're still in it for Butch and his cronies. Pruitt is going year 2, i wont even go there. We have Warlick to replace. Can we afford the millions? Arent we running in the red?

I dont disagree, it makes sense to us. but, numbers may tell a different story. Fulmer cant make money grow on trees. Remember Hamilton and that bammer?

I dont want Fulmer to get unfair criticism for other's stupidity. If he makes dumb decisions, then, it is what it is.

Most of these "throw the bank at them" or sign 'em for life posts are usually from someone with no job and/or living in mommy and daddy's basement. They have no reservations about spending someone else's money. It's just the kid with dad's credit card syndrome. They don't see or pay the bills so who cares, right?

Reactions: savannahfan and EZE
NO. Let's just get in the ball park money wise and he isn't going anywhere.

#1 and this is something nobody is discussing - state taxes. 12.3%. It's massive. I used to work and live in NYC which is around 9 and it's noticeable. Add in the emotional cost of moving your family, starting over, having to rebuild a program at west.

He's 64. If we pony up some cash on the same amount of years he's going nowhere.
My guess is that he's going nowhere no matter what. He knows he's blessed to be here, and we were the school that "softened" the blow for him after the Texas debacle. I think he loves it here and will stay here.

NO Way!!!! If Williams goes pro, We might [50% chance] be showing him the door in two years. Unless he signs 2 or 3 four or five stars a year we will not keep up with the SEC talent wise. You can not continue to sign low 3 star plays and have the success we have had in the last two years.
Probably the reason why he bolts to UCLA. If he does it affirms the reasons that Texas fired him.

HELL NO! you will be the person wanting him fired in a couple years.

On one hand, having Barnes in Calipari pay status elevates the "perception" of our program being in elite status. On the other hand, lifetime contract for someone who has elevated the program, but not to elite status, seems like a reach. None of these contracts make sense, so guess we'll see.

Reactions: b-ball fan
There’s only one coach on the entire planet who deserves a lifetime contract.... At least half this board is smart enough to know who that is...

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I would hate to see him pick UCLA from a personal perspective. That place has ground every coach into hamburger and only a couple of successful seasons to show for it in the last 25 years. Its a basketball school but the Twilight Zone for coaches. Should be marked radioactive.

Reactions: onevol74

Not sure how this makes sense. You just said he can't be successful doing what he's already done. If he continues to develop players at the same rate as he did the past few years, he can certainly repeat his success. Is it a given that happens, no, but to say he can't sustain success doing what he's already proved he can do, isn't completely accurate.

Reactions: onevol74
What? He has a 5* coming in this year and another high possibility in 2020.
We're not firing him in two years if we lose 20 games next year.

My guess is that he's going nowhere no matter what. He knows he's blessed to be here, and we were the school that "softened" the blow for him after the Texas debacle. I think he loves it here and will stay here.

Okay, that's enough..Lets clear the air about the end of his Texas tenure! Why so many of you try to denigrate his stay at Texas is baseless. When he had a dumb $sz A D, that gave him orders to fire an assistant coach, without cause, the man had the gonads , to do the Right thing. I tip my hat to any man that has principles and willing at personal loss to do the right thing.

Somebody, please feel free to kick my soapbox out from under me..I'M Done1

VN Store

Back