Get Ready !

awaitingawin

This year every time we step onto our opponents home floor will be like playing in the championship game. We are going to be the hunted for a change. We are going to know how it feels to be the Dukes and Kentucky's of the world. Every game on our opponents home floor their arenas are going to be packed, loud and there to see us lose. Our opponents, regardless of their record, are going to be super hyped and emotions through the roof. The refs of the SEC are similar to those who called the game yesterday. Since it has been awhile that we have put such a team on the floor there are going to be a lot of nail biting, hand wringing and most games leaving us feeling like it is a roller coaster ride.

The maturity and mental toughness will have to guide this team. What a game for Bowden, and Bone. That is what we are looking for along with Jalen Johnson getting some confidence. Pons looking for his shot is great. Alexander needs to keep using his size and attacking the basket. Lets hope Jalen Johnson keeps progressing. I give Barnes credit for continuing to give Johnson minutes and nurturing his confidence along as well as starting Pons. The Admiral and Williams are well, just exciting to watch.

Fulky still needs a lot of work. The players need to make sure they develop that 8' to 10' shot. The 2 pointers are gold when the 3's don't fall.
As our bench players continue to develop and we get Turner back Tennessee will be the talk of every SEC team. Just imagine what our game at Kentucky and Auburn will be like. Gonna be hard tickets to get. Just think, on a scale of 1 to 10, every where we go is going to be like a 10 and the opposing fans screaming for their teams to throttle us. Momentum in these games going to be huge. Every team and their players are going to be looking for a write up in the next days and weeks papers. ENJOY THE RIDE.

We have a rock solid system that doesn’t depend on on super star player to win. As OP said development of depth is key. When everyone is playing D, scoring and making assists you can’t be stopped.
We need another 3 point shooter that is dependable when teams double Admiral.
I’d like to see Faulk and Pons become an little more of an offensive threat.

One positive note from Memphis, besides the win, was the fact that in that flurry of whistles, not one of our players fouled out. That took some discipline and willingness to "let a play go by" in order to preserve the game roster. Another quality exhibited yesterday was the poise and confidence in the face of deafening hoots from those clad in blue. 5 players were in double figures scoring. That was quite a raucous crowd exhibiting the aforementioned passion to witness the downfall of the Vols.

It is definitely a great time to watch the Vols!

Been impressed with the Vols' poise these last 2 games.

Against Gonzaga we were down for much of the second half, but just kept grinding, putting together scoring possessions. Could have been easy to shut down for a couple of minutes of the game and Gonzaga would have run away with it.

Against Memphis the crowd was rowdy any time Memphis started to make a run. But we kept our heads, played business-like basketball and snuffed out all of their potential runs.

SEC has some talent this year with Tennessee, Auburn, LSU, Miss St. and current underperformer KY.

I think it’s UT, Auburn, UK, and maybe MSU. LSU has talent but it’s young, and I am not sure Wade is a great floor coach. Unfortunately, the rest is not very good. UF is ok.

We have a rock solid system that doesn’t depend on on super star player to win. As OP said development of depth is key. When everyone is playing D, scoring and making assists you can’t be stopped.

This is exactly what Lamonte gives us when healthy.. Once he is 100% back, he's a huge weapon from outside and he's got ice in his veins (case in point, that dagger against KY at Rupp last year that basically put the game away). Not only that, but we need his ball-handling skills and vision (which were sorely lacking at times against the pressure from Memphis).

This is exactly what Lamonte gives us when healthy.. Once he is 100% back, he's a huge weapon from outside and he's got ice in his veins (case in point, that dagger against KY at Rupp last year that basically put the game away). Not only that, but we need his ball-handling skills and vision (which were sorely lacking at times against the pressure from Memphis).
Lamonte is a decent ball-handler, but not polished by any means. This "injury" is beginning to cast doubt on his availability the rest of the season. Hard for a shoulder joint to heal in-season, unfortunately.

Reactions: Catbone

I want to see Alexander take it hard to the basket and a good post up player with his size. He can improve his game a lot more.
I want to see Jalen Johnson come out hot and shoot the lights out. He can be that good. Look to shoot if he is open.
To me Fulky seems to play smaller than his actual size. It may be me but he seems to squat and make himself smaller when he attempts to penetrate inside. He also seems to play smaller around the basket.. It may be me but that is how it seems.
I credit Barnes for recognizing and inserting Pons as a starter. Pons needs a lot of work still on his game.
I was unhappy with the rebounding and easy baskets as we moved into the 2nd half. Thats when you need a big bodied person like Walker to step up and block out on the boards. I thought we gave Memphis way too many and too easy offensive rebounds.

This is the most excited I’ve been about Vols hoops since it was John Ward on my transistor radio with Ron Widby, Tom Boerwinkle, Bill Justus, Tom Hendrix and Billy Hahn starting for UT. Go Damm Vols!

My Vol basketball days go back as far as Pearl. I do remember watching Dale Ellis but lost interest during DeVoe, O Neill, Buzz, etc
I lived in the Knoxville area from 1977 - 1981. Then left area when I joined the Marines. Returned from Marines in 2002, but moved to Nashville
Exciting memories for me is the Pearl years

Reactions: RavinDave
My Vol basketball days go back as far as Pearl. I do remember watching Dale Ellis but lost interest during DeVoe, O Neill, Buzz, etc
I lived in the Knoxville area from 1977 - 1981. Then left area when I joined the Marines. Returned from Marines in 2002, but moved to Nashville
First of all thanks for your service!
When I left Tennessee in 76 for work on the Gulf Coast, little did I know I had probably left for good. My Mom still lives in the little house I grew up in, she just turned 90, and I used to make a trip to Knoxville at least once a year, even had season football tickets for a few years. But now with my business I have to be here in Houston 98% of the time. But I still try to follow the Vols.

What is the b-ball forum obsession’s about “being the hunted”? That literally has no impact on anything.

What obsession. Just a fact. Every team and every fan base is going to be many notches higher when we come to their arena. The screaming of their fan base intensifies and the players emotions and determination intensifies as well. The feed of the fans that transfers to the players intensifies to an already intensified emotional game. When the momentum is on the opponents side in these type games on their home floor it becomes even more an advantage to Tennessee's opponents. Everyone gets caught up in the big game. Even the refs get caught up in the atmosphere and that in itself becomes a contributing factor to the outcome of the game.

Remember what it was like when Kansas visited Knoxville. Just wait until the vols go into Kentucky, Auburn, Miss St. Alabama. then come back and ask what obsession.

Tennessee Vols have to be mature and mentally strong and let their talent and training come to the forefront because the only voices of support they are going to hear are those on the bench who are closest to them because the opponents fans will drown out all other supporting fans in the stands.

Every arena we appear in this season those fans and players are going to be up for us every game. You and I are going to see the metal that our Vols are made of.
Who takes over when we need them and the Admiral is not his 3 point shooting self. Who mans up and takes over as the SEC refs come into play and Williams or the Admiral gets their 3rd foul of the 1st half.

I haven't complained this year about any refs that I can remember. Until Saturday I thought the officiating had been pretty good but wait until we enter SEC play where some of the worst officiatings can and does take place in many peoples minds. Then come back and ask the question " Whats the b-ball forum obsession about being the hunted" That literally has no impact on anything. Of course if that was the case why not just ask the fans to be quiet in the B ball arenas as well as the football stadiums if it doesn't have an impact on anything. I don't think your going to find many would would agree with you.

What obsession. Just a fact. Every team and every fan base is going to be many notches higher when we come to their arena. The screaming of their fan base intensifies and the players emotions and determination intensifies as well. The feed of the fans that transfers to the players intensifies to an already intensified emotional game. When the momentum is on the opponents side in these type games on their home floor it becomes even more an advantage to Tennessee's opponents. Everyone gets caught up in the big game. Even the refs get caught up in the atmosphere and that in itself becomes a contributing factor to the outcome of the game.

Remember what it was like when Kansas visited Knoxville. Just wait until the vols go into Kentucky, Auburn, Miss St. Alabama. then come back and ask what obsession.

Tennessee Vols have to be mature and mentally strong and let their talent and training come to the forefront because the only voices of support they are going to hear are those on the bench who are closest to them because the opponents fans will drown out all other supporting fans in the stands.

Every arena we appear in this season those fans and players are going to be up for us every game. You and I are going to see the metal that our Vols are made of.
Who takes over when we need them and the Admiral is not his 3 point shooting self. Who mans up and takes over as the SEC refs come into play and Williams or the Admiral gets their 3rd foul of the 1st half.

I haven't complained this year about any refs that I can remember. Until Saturday I thought the officiating had been pretty good but wait until we enter SEC play where some of the worst officiatings can and does take place in many peoples minds. Then come back and ask the question " Whats the b-ball forum obsession about being the hunted" That literally has no impact on anything. Of course if that was the case why not just ask the fans to be quiet in the B ball arenas as well as the football stadiums if it doesn't have an impact on anything. I don't think your going to find many would would agree with you.

No they won’t. Everyone knew Tennessee was good last year when they were top two in the SEC. Tennessee is already motivated enough to play every game because of the early tourney exit last year. Teams aren’t going to be “more motivated” or “more excited to play us” in the SEC. We were too 20 almost all of the SEC conference schedule. Maybe more fans shows up but it won’t affect anything on the court

Reactions: Titan05
No they won’t. Everyone knew Tennessee was good last year when they were top two in the SEC. Tennessee is already motivated enough to play every game because of the early tourney exit last year. Teams aren’t going to be “more motivated” or “more excited to play us” in the SEC. We were too 20 almost all of the SEC conference schedule. Maybe more fans shows up but it won’t affect anything on the court
Well zjcvols it is going to be proven that you or me are badly mistaken....so here is to rooting for our Vols this season !!!!!!

Man, Rudy, how could u lose interest while DeVoe was coaching ? DeVoe was a Bobby Knight disciple that won a lot of games here. Maybe not the most exciting basketball, but it was before the shot clock and 3-pointer for most of his tenure. DeVoe had a 2 great teams that caught some back luck having to play Virginia and Ralph Sampson in back to back years in the NCAA Tournament. Love DeVoe, he got me hooked on UT basketball and that SEC Tournament championship team will always hold a special place in my heart. Btw, I think UT will have a damn good chance of getting another SECT championship this year

Reactions: Lurker
Well zjcvols it is going to be proven that you or me are badly mistaken....so here is to rooting for our Vols this season !!!!!!
Everyone knows there is a thing called Home Court Advantage. Well, almost everyone. But does having the big bulls-eye on your back really help the other team? I’d say sometimes Yes and sometimes No. But it is kinda nice to be that team everybody else has to fear!

Reactions: savannahfan

VN Store

Back