Get Ready !

This is the most excited I’ve been about Vols hoops since it was John Ward on my transistor radio with Ron Widby, Tom Boerwinkle, Bill Justus, Tom Hendrix and Billy Hahn starting for UT. Go Damm Vols!

Yes, was on the floor when Justus hit those 2 free throws at MSU in the 3rd overtime for the championship!

Reactions: RavinDave
One thing for sure, we have a lot of games to watch with great interest! We will be favored in every game.

Been impressed with the Vols' poise these last 2 games.

Against Gonzaga we were down for much of the second half, but just kept grinding, putting together scoring possessions. Could have been easy to shut down for a couple of minutes of the game and Gonzaga would have run away with it.

Against Memphis the crowd was rowdy any time Memphis started to make a run. But we kept our heads, played business-like basketball and snuffed out all of their potential runs.
The key n what you say is PLAYED BUSINESS-LIKE BASKETBALL.

The key n what you say is PLAYED BUSINESS-LIKE BASKETBALL.
So far they have been mentally prepared. The Admiral is out to prove a point. Barnes is tweaking the line up. Looking very good right now. I am hoping as Jalen Johnson gets acclimated to the game that he begins to come on strong. Bench scoring takes us a long long way as we enter SEC play

My Vol basketball days go back as far as Pearl. I do remember watching Dale Ellis but lost interest during DeVoe, O Neill, Buzz, etc
I lived in the Knoxville area from 1977 - 1981. Then left area when I joined the Marines. Returned from Marines in 2002, but moved to Nashville
Exciting memories for me is the Pearl years

My first years of UT basketball were when Coach Ray Mears and Associate Coach Stu Aberdeen were in charge. The days of A.W. Davis, Ron Widby, Jimmy England, Bill Justice, Austin "Red" Robbins, Billy Hahn, Howard Bayne and the greatest unicyclist/juggler of all Roger Peltz. The good old days of Stokley Athletic Center.

This team appears to have the appropriate level of confidence. They expect to win but aren't being cocky or disrespectful to their opponent. Not intimidated but also not taking anybody for granted. They might thrive in hostile environments.

Well zjcvols it is going to be proven that you or me are badly mistaken....so here is to rooting for our Vols this season !!!!!!
I’m thinking more you. When you have a single digit number next to your name opposing teams and fans look at you differently and they get more and more jacked the lower that number gets.

Reactions: cardvolfan
My first years of UT basketball were when Coach Ray Mears and Associate Coach Stu Aberdeen were in charge. The days of A.W. Davis, Ron Widby, Jimmy England, Bill Justice, Austin "Red" Robbins, Billy Hahn, Howard Bayne and the greatest unicyclist/juggler of all Roger Peltz. The good old days of Stokley Athletic Center.
Contemporaries we are.

Reactions: Rickster
Phrased that wrong sorry, I was on the floor of my house listening on the radio!
Rereading your post earlier, I realized I had probably misconstrued it. But it’s all good! Wish I could listen to John Ward nowadays, he was incomparable at bringing the game to life on the radio.

I grew up with Alumni Gym and the opening of Stokely, but I was a UT student smack in the midst of The Ernie and Bernie Show...long lines, camping out for KY tickets, sheer pandemonium in the student section - all of it. King is/was THE best basketball player I've ever seen in person (over names like Pistol Pete, Durant, Barkley, Dominique, Chris Jackson etc).

I'd love to see the students cut loose like we did back in the day - of course, we had better seats in Stokely than what students are allotted now.

Rereading your post earlier, I realized I had probably misconstrued it. But it’s all good! Wish I could listen to John Ward nowadays, he was incomparable at bringing the game to life on the radio.

They definitely described the game to a finite degree because they were not televised. The listening audience was massive.

VN Store

Back