Get Barnes any players

1200DPI

He'll coach them. Don't think he cares about the quality of players his assistants bring in.

He just wants to coach and develop.

This year's roster looks like one Donnie Tyndall might throw together in a week or two.

Hoping last minute additions of Vescovi and Plavsic might save the day. Hoping for a miracle.

This fan base is too forgiving, too tolerant.

Well genius, what do you expect him to do mid-season when one of his key guards has to quit, and the 2 new additions join the team in Jan? Plus we lost 4 players that are now playing professionally. Instead of just criticizing maybe you could make some suggestions. To say he doesn't care about the quality of players 'his assistants' bring in is a ludicrous statement. You really think Barnes has no say-so in who is signed or not.

Not much talent there.. I like Barnes, we probably overpaid for him, that's the case with most coaches though. He found some diamonds in Williams and Schofield. Looks like he has mostly coal this year. Talent coming next year, still no post really to speak of.. The 7 footer looks slow and clumsy.

He'll coach them. Don't think he cares about the quality of players his assistants bring in.

This year's roster looks like one Donnie Tyndall might throw together in a week or two.

Hoping last minute additions of Vescovi and Plavsic might save the day. Hoping for a miracle.

Too tolerant of what? We better damn be tolerant of a coach who inherited a mess, took us to #1, and now has 3 top 40 players coming in next year. I think it’s the other way- we have some fans who make outrageous claims.

Too tolerant of what? We better damn be tolerant of a coach who inherited a mess, took us to #1, and now has 3 top 40 players coming in next year. I think it’s the other way- we have some fans who make outrageous claims.
@Freak needs to consider a change to the site name. Call it Volmania, because we sure have the most manic fan base in America. The team and it’s players are either the worst in 30 years, or the best thing since sliced bread, destined for 24, or more, wins and ESPN just hates us. There is no room for a middle ground.

People don’t like it but we’re here because of 2 recruiting classes that only have Pons to show for it. Then key contributors leave early so there’s not much behind them to fill the gap. It’s roster mismanagement no doubt. I’m not saying Barnes is a bad coach, or needs to be fired, but simply we’re here because of roster mismanagement.

Next year we have possibly our best class ever arriving. The key is to make sure the class after that doesn’t have so many misses to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

People don’t like it but we’re here because of 2 recruiting classes that only have Pons to show for it. Then key contributors leave early so there’s not much behind them to fill the gap. It’s roster mismanagement no doubt. I’m not saying Barnes is a bad coach, or needs to be fired, but simply we’re here because of roster mismanagement.

Next year we have possibly our best class ever arriving. The key is to make sure the class after that doesn’t have so many misses to make sure this doesn’t happen again.
And fortunately recruiting for '21 and onward looks fantastic too. Not sure if we'll stay at the level we're recruiting at now, but the days of pulling fringe players seem over. Not even fishing in those waters anymore. Every visit is a top 100 player.

Gotta give Barnes "some" flack for the talent currently, but as another poster mentioned losing 4 NBA guys (2 of them early), having 2 arrive very late, and losing your PG for the season would be a killshot to anyone outside that blue-blood group.

You aren’t wrong. There were some misses, misevaluations, and unexpected movement that contributed, as well, but fortunately, for 2020 and beyond, we seem to be fishing in deeper water for prospects. Had hoped this team would be good enough to bridge last season and next season, but it is just unfortunately looking like a rebuilding/development year. We lack skill, talent, experience, confidence, and now, apparently, toughness and determination.

It sucks, but I really believe this season is an outlier, and the trajectory of the program is still solidly pointing up.

@Freak needs to consider a change to the site name. Call it Volmania, because we sure have the most manic fan base in America. The team and it’s players are either the worst in 30 years, or the best thing since sliced bread, destined for 24, or more, wins and ESPN just hates us. There is no room for a middle ground.

Or VolMoron.

seems some are hurting...me too, but we're not done yet...so, don't hand in your fan card...:D

GBO!

Jack, I don't know if I would use the word "mismanagement". Your post is otherwise 100% accurate IMO.

I would say it was more like "Barnes and staff were not CAPABLE of landing better recruits early on". This was probably due to the cloud of the mindset and recruiting strategies of "The Fired TX coach Rick Barnes was once a great coach, but he's pretty much cashed it in and is at UT to retire". That combined with inheriting a turd in the punchbowl of a program made it overwhelming for him to land the kind of players we needed THIS year in the pipeline.

After the shocking SEC Title run followed by the #1 Ranking for a Month run with not a single 4* or 5* player on the entire roster, his stock on the trail certainly shot up and the past two classes have gotten some elite players. I expect him to find it much easier to sign the elite players that he'll need to compete.

Not much talent there.. I like Barnes, we probably overpaid for him, that's the case with most coaches though. He found some diamonds in Williams and Schofield. Looks like he has mostly coal this year. Talent coming next year, still no post really to speak of.. The 7 footer looks slow and clumsy.
Nah man, we have diamonds this year. The difference being, Schofield and Williams needed time to polish. Just like our current roster.

Pons = year 3 he’s been a beast
Vescovi = beast
JJJ = will keep getting better
Fulkerson = has gotten waaay better and will have a breakout senior year

The others are freshmen, making freshmen mistakes.

Your post is confusing and contradictory.

Losing our key guard is the biggest reason for struggles right now, I think. But I didn't like getting outworked and out-rebounded by A&M.

One of the media pundits, Rucker maybe, said that the close loss to KU wouldn't mean anything unless the Vols build on it. Losing to A&M like that isn't a good start.

As for Barnes, I've said it before but he lost a lot of goodwill from me when he basically came out and said that the only reason he didn't bolt for UCLA was the check wasn't quite big enough. Yes, it's a business and it might be true, but how could somebody (especially a high-profile coach at a university like Tennessee that has a rabid fanbase that has suffered through Lane Kiffin's crap and the now infamous Schiano incident) be so tone-deaf to think that stating that to the public was a good thing? Should have just stuck with something like, "It doesn't matter what else happened or might have happened. I'm at Tennessee and happy to be here going forward." Oh well. Barnes is a solid coach. I just hope he embraces Tennessee as his destination gig and takes this program to new heights.

All that being said, I'm hoping for a late surge as Barnes tries to forge these guys into a team the rest of the way. GO VOLS!

Reactions: cardvolfan

Poetry skills are top notch.

Reactions: cardvolfan
thank you so much

Come on, now. We should be number 1 every year, recruit the TOP class every year, have first team all Americans ever year, and be in the FF every year. Those are not unreasonable expectations!

Who cares how much money Barnes makes? Would it change your life in any way if they paid him $2mill less per year? It's not like we're dealing with a salary cap

Losing our key guard is the biggest reason for struggles right now, I think. But I didn't like getting outworked and out-rebounded by A&M.

One of the media pundits, Rucker maybe, said that the close loss to KU wouldn't mean anything unless the Vols build on it. Losing to A&M like that isn't a good start.

As for Barnes, I've said it before but he lost a lot of goodwill from me when he basically came out and said that the only reason he didn't bolt for UCLA was the check wasn't quite big enough. Yes, it's a business and it might be true, but how could somebody (especially a high-profile coach at a university like Tennessee that has a rabid fanbase that has suffered through Lane Kiffin's crap and the now infamous Schiano incident) be so tone-deaf to think that stating that to the public was a good thing? Should have just stuck with something like, "It doesn't matter what else happened or might have happened. I'm at Tennessee and happy to be here going forward." Oh well. Barnes is a solid coach. I just hope he embraces Tennessee as his destination gig and takes this program to new heights.

All that being said, I'm hoping for a late surge as Barnes tries to forge these guys into a team the rest of the way. GO VOLS!
We'll likely never know for sure what went on with negotiations but as Tenn fans we're darn lucky to have Barnes as our head coach. If he'd left, for whatever reason, this year would have been every bit as bad (probably worse) but the real kick in the shins would be that we'd not have a stellar recruiting class to look forward to. Instead we'd be looking at another down period in UT basketball.

We have to accept that we're a football school run by a football coach (Fulmer). That means we're not a destination job for top notch BB coaches. We're lucky to have Barnes. I'm thrilled that we got him and I get that we likely overpaid to keep him. That's life if you're a football school

No most of the fan base understand. Others will never understand.

Would you fire Roy Williams? UNC is having a bad season w elite talent.

Probably not. But my first reaction is Yes. Not b/c he's having a crappy year. But, something about that guy rubs me the wrong way. He just has a massive aura that says "fake" and "disingenuous" for some reason. Just my "don't quit your day job" impression of him.

Listening and watching him with cameras on is the same feeling I get when politicians speak or grandstand.

He’s done a good job, but my goodness you can’t expect to lose 4 players to the pros and that not affect you. It will simply take some time to reload! We will be back in the sweet 16 in the next couple of years! GBO!

Would you fire Roy Williams? UNC is having a bad season w elite talent.
No, but you can certainly say he’s done a poor job of preparing the program for this season, it’s not good enough, and a coach of his caliber/resume/paycheck should not have such seasons.

VN Store

Back