Get Barnes any players

What is really annoying is that Barnes best teams shot the 3 at a high percentage, ruled the offensive boards and practiced disciplined ball security. So how does he end up in year 5 with none of those attributes in his roster. How does a HOF guy with 33 years experience let that happen? 123 repeat the excuses.

If you expect top 5 results in a season that he loses 4 players to the NBA and his senior PG to injury then your expectations are unreasonable. What is reasonable is to expect highly ranked recruiting classes and a return to prominence in the next yr or two. Too soon to judge on that.
Nobody expected top 5 this season, that’s dumb. What we should expect is to not whiff on 3 straight post men, not count on an ncaa transfer waiver, and not be surprised when players jump early. He knew Ad and Kyle were gone. Grant was an obvious risk. A random poster on VQ said very early last season that Bone would def consider going early - Barnes should know that, too. He knew Turner had a serious shoulder issue that could be a problem. But we turned down post players, let posts leave, took a transfer G who would have to sit a year, plus Uros. It’s simply poor roster mgmt by an excellent developer of talent. It’s ok to acknowledge both of those things.

Nobody expected top 5 this season, that’s dumb. What we should expect is to not whiff on 3 straight post men, not count on an ncaa transfer waiver, and not be surprised when players jump early. He knew Ad and Kyle were gone. Grant was an obvious risk. A random poster on VQ said very early last season that Bone would def consider going early - Barnes should know that, too. He knew Turner had a serious shoulder issue that could be a problem. But we turned down post players, let posts leave, took a transfer G who would have to sit a year, plus Uros. It’s simply poor roster mgmt by an excellent developer of talent. It’s ok to acknowledge both of those things.
The puzzling thing is that you don't seem to acknowledge that Barnes and staff made attempts to mitigate those issues. At one point, we were thought to have led for both Kerry Blackshear and Jalen Cone. Both guys would have made a big difference from day 1. We missed on both, unfortunately. It happens. This year, we landed every single one of our priority players. Most years will fall in between that level of failure and success.

What is really annoying is that Barnes best teams shot the 3 at a high percentage, ruled the offensive boards and practiced disciplined ball security. So how does he end up in year 5 with none of those attributes in his roster. How does a HOF guy with 33 years experience let that happen? 123 repeat the excuses.

Off year in recruiting

The puzzling thing is that you don't seem to acknowledge that Barnes and staff made attempts to mitigate those issues. At one point, we were thought to have led for both Kerry Blackshear and Jalen Cone. Both guys would have made a big difference from day 1. We missed on both, unfortunately. It happens. This year, we landed every single one of our priority players. Most years will fall in between that level of failure and success.
Barnes put himself in the situation. What’s so hard to understand? If we have holes on the FB roster nobody has any problem saying the HC has to do a better job recruiting. Barnes is a very good coach and no one is suggesting otherwise or that he should be replaced. But it’s a fact he hasn’t done a great job prepping for this season or, arguably, coaching around the situation he’s in. That’s no big deal when you’re making $3 mil, aw shucks Ricky from Hickory, and very happy to be here after getting fired by Texas. It’s something else when you publicly say you want the ucla job and but will stay for $5 mil.

Barnes put himself in the situation. What’s so hard to understand? If we have holes on the FB roster nobody has any problem saying the HC has to do a better job recruiting. Barnes is a very good coach and no one is suggesting otherwise or that he should be replaced. But it’s a fact he hasn’t done a great job prepping for this season or, arguably, coaching around the situation he’s in. That’s no big deal when you’re making $3 mil, aw shucks Ricky from Hickory, and very happy to be here after getting fired by Texas. It’s something else when you publicly say you want the ucla job and but will stay for $5 mil.

He's the exact same coach when making $3mm or $5mm. The difference is that UCLA drove up the demand for future HOF coaches and he benefited financially. TN had the option of matching the offer or starting over again with it's 5th coach in about 10 years.

Reactions: Vols410
Feel free to peruse the board and point out all of my posts bitching about Barnes. Criticism of how he’s prepared for and handled this specific season is valid, for all the reasons I previously mentioned ITT.

Your opinion (which is fine...it's a message board...lol) but don't expect everyone to agree that it is valid (i.e., well grounded and just) to criticize CRB given the facts and a basic understanding of b-ball timelines.

Is CRB accountable and responsible for results...of course! But, if you do not see the direct cause/effect between this year and CRB's first 2 seasons, the recruiting timeline, and players leaving the program early (some to the NBA, some to other teams, and 1 just MIA) then I cannot help you as there were many fans who knew this season was going to be a down year just not to what degree (and that's before we lost our best player on both sides of the ball!).

Lastly, based on your earlier post, do you honestly think either Fulmer or CRB think this season is "acceptable" so far or that Fulmer has not clearly communicated his expectations to CRB? I suspect this season and the reaction from certain fans is exactly why CRB sought greater commitment from Fulmer (as part of the UCLA situation) as a hedge against a down year.

Just my opinion of course so, as I said earlier, carry on.

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
You didn't address the point of my post in any single way. Your entire response is simply a rant about his salary and UCLA flirtation, so it seems clear where your real disappointment lies.

To that point, he received his raise in April. There wasn't much he could do to turn around this roster at that point, and then he loses his most experienced player As I said, we seemingly led for a very good player at both positions that we are currently weakest, at one point, and missed on both. In April, or later, the pickings are slim. He has since done a great job at upgrading the talent to the level expected by his salary increase. We just won't see the results until next season.

Not sure how much simpler I can explain that. But I have a feeling your anger wouldn't be any different if he received no raise and was coaching for $3.5 million, this year. The expectation would still be that there is no excuse to go from #1 to not making the NCAAT. The fact is, circumstances sometimes just dictate a sharper downturn than expected. It has happened to Calupari, Coach K, Roy Williams, etc. This isn't unique to Barnes.

Let's not forget that TN had an NCAA violation because CRB was enhancing his assistants pay by digging into his own pockets. That should never have happened and exemplifies how inept our athletic department administration can be. I don't blame him one iota for exploring the possibility of jumping over to UCLA. $5mm isn't a Barnes issue. If anything it's a Fulmer/Currie/Hart issue.

Reactions: ttocswob

How does it happen to Roy? How’d it happen to Billy D? What about Calipari? Howland? Calhoun?

How does it happen to Roy? How’d it happen to Billy D? What about Calipari? Howland? Calhoun?
Now let's see. when did it happen to Calipari?
PS this is all premature. I look at this team and see one that Barnes can't seem to connect with. I think they'll finish below 500 in the SEC.
You on the other hand see the mathematical possibilities and are still looking at the laurels.
Should probably wait until the season is over to continue.

Last edited:
A
PS this is all premature. I look at this team and see one that Barnes can't seem to connect with. I think they'll finish below 500 in the SEC.
You on the other hand see the mathematical possibilities and are still looking at the laurels.
Also how many championships between those guys? Winning titles buys you some wiggle room.

It’s not just the money, but fact is if you get paid top 5 money you accept top 5 expectations. Pretty simple.

But really, if Barnes hadn’t openly said he wanted to leave for UCLA and only didn’t b/c of a money issue then the season looks a bit different.
That’s not how it works. Even the blue bloods aren’t top 5 every year. That’s impossible.

Calipari led UK to the NIT, you forget that?

Ahh so those games don’t matter, good to know.
They don’t matter nearly as much no. Look bud we have totally different opinions and perspectives on all this, neither one of us is going to convince the other of anything. Let’s just end this back and forth I’m sure we are both tired of it.

They don’t matter nearly as much no. Look bud we have totally different opinions and perspectives on all this, neither one of us is going to convince the other of anything. Let’s just end this back and forth I’m sure we are both tired of it.
You must have hated the Pearl era. The only championship he won here was one SEC regular season title. Barnes has already matched that.

You must have hated the Pearl era. The only championship he won here was one SEC regular season title. Barnes has already matched that.
Weird I thought pearl also took us to our only ever elite 8? I guess I dreamt that.

And fortunately recruiting for '21 and onward looks fantastic too. Not sure if we'll stay at the level we're recruiting at now, but the days of pulling fringe players seem over. Not even fishing in those waters anymore. Every visit is a top 100 player.

Gotta give Barnes "some" flack for the talent currently, but as another poster mentioned losing 4 NBA guys (2 of them early), having 2 arrive very late, and losing your PG for the season would be a killshot to anyone outside that blue-blood group.

You get 4 players drafted in 1 year you get a lot of attention from current recruits. It will cost us this season but we will reap benefits from this point forward.

VN Store

Back