Georgia

BigOrangeAl 1979

Just got a commitment from the 1 rated QB in the 2021 class of course he’s from Athens. What and will anything slow down their elite recruiting? God I hate Kirby but he can recruit with the best of them. I’m hoping if he still hasn’t won a national title by 2023 recruits will finally wise up and figure he will never win one no matter how much talent he brings in and his recruiting will fall off.

Just got a commitment from the 1 rated QB in the 2021 class of course he’s from Athens. What and will anything slow down their elite recruiting? God I hate Kirby but he can recruit with the best of them. I’m hoping if he still hasn’t won a national title by 2023 recruits will finally wise up and figure he will never win one no matter how much talent he brings in and his recruiting will fall off.
Perpetually coming up just short of winning it all will eventually bring it down from an elite level, but we're talking about Georgia. They will always recruit well. Kirby could toss a rock out of his office and hit a couple 5-star recruits.

Reactions: tbh and Plecoptera
Beat 2 of UF, uga and Bama this year and we will see a similar rise in recruiting. We have to start winning these games. 15-45 this century iirc.

Also, uga has built in recruiting advantages with no real competition in state. They literally always recruit well, but still 1980.

Georgia will always recruit well. The state is loaded with so much elite talent. UGA spends a ton of dollars on the trail & cherry picks nationally. VOLS can combat this by recruiting at the level similar to the way CPF did in his heyday putting UGA back in its rightful place, 3rd in the east.

Last edited:
Georgia has never had recruiting issues. They never will. There is unlikely to be a situation where Georgia recruits a #20 class. People say UF is in a wonderful recruiting bastion, but I think UGA is well-better situated.

Think about something that may be pleasant or unpleasant depending on your outlook. The SEC is a toss up next year. If Georgia takes a step back, it could be pretty detrimental. If UF doesn't take a step forward, it could be pretty detrimental. And Tennessee has the capacity to beat both those teams.

Georgia has never had recruiting issues. They never will. There is unlikely to be a situation where Georgia recruits a #20 class. People say UF is in a wonderful recruiting bastion, but I think UGA is well-better situated.

Think about something that may be pleasant or unpleasant depending on your outlook. The SEC is a toss up next year. If Georgia takes a step back, it could be pretty detrimental. If UF doesn't take a step forward, it could be pretty detrimental. And Tennessee has the capacity to beat both those teams.
Georgia is without a doubt the #1 job in the country as far as recruiting, followed by LSU.

I would argue Texas is better than Georgia
Way more in-state competition in Texas than Georgia or Louisiana. The recruiting setup in those 2 states is as advantageous as it is not just because they are chock full of talent but because there isn't another in-state school who can legitimately rival Georgia and LSU for the talent.

Reactions: Plecoptera
Perpetually coming up just short of winning it all will eventually bring it down from an elite level, but we're talking about Georgia. They will always recruit well. Kirby could toss a rock out of his office and hit a couple 5-star recruits.
Kirby throwing rocks at recruits would probably slow down the recruiting. Would also be a good story.

Ray Goff was worse than Dooley and Botch combined, the wheels completely came off that program while he was there.
Yep... I’ve heard Jim Donnan say he was absolutely shocked at what he found when he got to Athens in the mid 90s. Said 1/3 of the roster wouldn’t have played on the 1-AA Marshall team he’d just left.

Ray Goff was worse than Dooley and Botch combined, the wheels completely came off that program while he was there.
Tennessee would be lucky to have a couple of our worst coaches in the history of the school be as good as Goff.

Goff was bad, but he comfortably had a winning record overall over 6 years, won almost half his conference games, went to 4 bowls, and finished in the top 10 one year. Dooley and Butch make Goff look like a pretty good coach.

Tennessee would be lucky to have a couple of our worst coaches in the history of the school be as good as Goff.

Goff was bad, but he comfortably had a winning record overall over 6 years, won almost half his conference games, went to 4 bowls, and finished in the top 10 one year. Dooley and Butch make Goff look like a pretty good coach.

People often correctly make the point that Pruitt took over a far worse situation than Kirby when folks start trying to compare them. That's not only fair, it's the truth. By the same token, Ray Goff took over a much better program than Derek Dooley or certainly better than Butch did. UGA was one of the best college teams in the 80's Top 5. Vince Dooley had one losing season out of twenty-five. Goff ran that program straight into the ground from a position of strength.

When Derek Dooley took over we were literally a week or two from signing day and Kiffin had left us in bad shape. Botch, obviously took over after Derek Dooley, and things had only gotten worse. I've watched football a long time in this conference and the only coach at a major school in that time who was worse than Ray Goff was Mike DuBose. Case in point, Ray Goff didn't start Terrell Davis until like the last two games of his career when he ran for like 150 yards in so in both games. Then he went on to be a perennial pro-bowler and Super Bowl MVP. Ray Goff couldn't even get a high school coaching job after he left Georgia.

Don't get me wrong, I think Butch and Derek Dooley were both bad, very bad, but I've got to tip my hat to Goff for taking a strong program and turning it into a complete dumpster fire. We should all send him thank you cards every Christmas, because it led to us pilfering Georgia of talent for about a dozen years until Richt got there. For pete's sake Spurrier publicly called him "Ray Goof".

Last edited:
Yep... I’ve heard Jim Donnan say he was absolutely shocked at what he found when he got to Athens in the mid 90s. Said 1/3 of the roster wouldn’t have played on the 1-AA Marshall team he’d just left.

I'm sure he did, but in the interest of honesty here ... Donnan would hardly know. He sucked right along with Goff. Donnan was a mediocre coach and a real horses ass ! Kirby kind of reminds me of Donnan.

I'm sure he did, but in the interest of honesty here ... Donnan would hardly know. He sucked right along with Goff. Donnan was a mediocre coach and a real horses ass ! Kirby kind of reminds me of Donnan.
He was a major jackarse, but he actually wasn't that bad a coach I didn't think, he got them back where they beat the also-rans, started beating Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, those types regularly, just losing to us and Florida and other good teams. That was a necessary first step, kind of like what Pruitt did here this year.

He was a major jackarse, but he actually wasn't that bad a coach I didn't think, he got them back where they beat the also-rans, started beating Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, those types regularly, just losing to us and Florida and other good teams. That was a necessary first step, kind of like what Pruitt did here this year.

He wasn't Goff bad for certain, but he had amassed plenty enough talent to win a lot of really big games but rarely ever did. How did the Ponzi scheme scandal turn out years ago ? Did he ever serve any time ? I failed to keep up with it at the time.

He wasn't Goff bad for certain, but he had amassed plenty enough talent to win a lot of really big games but rarely ever did. How did the Ponzi scheme scandal turn out years ago ? Did he ever serve any time ? I failed to keep up with it at the time.
I didn't pay attention to that either, definite jackarse though.

VN Store

Back