Georgia

Yep... I’ve heard Jim Donnan say he was absolutely shocked at what he found when he got to Athens in the mid 90s. Said 1/3 of the roster wouldn’t have played on the 1-AA Marshall team he’d just left.

GAVol did you keep up with the Ponzi scheme scandal that Donnnan and his wife were involved in ? If so, how did that turn out ? He serve any time ?

I think that eventually Kirby will eventually stumble into a championship by out talenting every body. I hate Georgia.

I think that eventually Kirby will eventually stumble into a championship by out talenting every body. I hate Georgia.
Depends on if he’s actually changing his offense or not. If he lets Monken run it and evolve it, then I could see it. If he meddles with it and forces Monken to play bully ball then no way.

Reactions: SCRocket
Depends on if he’s actually changing his offense or not. If he lets Monken run it and evolve it, then I could see it. If he meddles with it and forces Monken to play bully ball then no way.
I’m hoping he will Kirby it up

Kirby will never struggle at recruiting. It's what he does. Kirby will fall short at retention, or getting what he should from said recruits.

My prediction for 2020 Georgia 9-3 and 5-3 in the SEC

Virginia@ Mercedes Benz Stadium W

ETSU W

@Alabama L

Louisiana Monroe W

Vanderbilt W

Auburn L

@Missouri W

Florida@ Jacksonville L

@South Carolina W

Tennessee W

@kentucky W

Georgia Tech W

Perpetually coming up just short of winning it all will eventually bring it down from an elite level, but we're talking about Georgia. They will always recruit well. Kirby could toss a rock out of his office and hit a couple 5-star recruits.
It's true. Even Ray Goff had a top 5 recruiting class at Georgia - in '92, with Andre Hastings and Randall Godfrey. During their really bad stretch from '93-'98, they were still sending players such as Terrell Davis, Hines Ward, Champ Bailey and Adam Meadows to the NFL. Assembling talent has never been the problem

People often correctly make the point that Pruitt took over a far worse situation than Kirby when folks start trying to compare them. That's not only fair, it's the truth. By the same token, Ray Goff took over a much better program than Derek Dooley or certainly better than Butch did. UGA was one of the best college teams in the 80's Top 5. Vince Dooley had one losing season out of twenty-five. Goff ran that program straight into the ground from a position of strength.

When Derek Dooley took over we were literally a week or two from signing day and Kiffin had left us drugged in the bathtub and missing a kidney. Botch, obviously took over after Derek Dooley, and things had only gotten worse. I've watched football a long time in this conference and the only coach at a major school in that time who was worse than Ray Goff was Mike DuBose. Case in point, Ray Goff didn't start Terrell Davis until like the last two games of his career when he ran for like 150 yards in so in both games. Then he went on to be a perennial pro-bowler and Super Bowl MVP. Ray Goff couldn't even get a high school coaching job after he left Georgia.

Don't get me wrong, I think Butch and Derek Dooley were both bad, very bad, but I've got to tip my hat to Goff for taking a strong program and turning it into a complete dumpster fire. We should all send him thank you cards every Christmas, because it led to us pilfering Georgia of talent for about a dozen years until Richt got there. For pete's sake Spurrier publicly called him "Ray Goof".

People also neglect to mention that Dooley left Butch with far less than what Butch left Pruitt.

It's true. Even Ray Goff had a top 5 recruiting class at Georgia - in '92, with Andre Hastings and Randall Godfrey. During their really bad stretch from '93-'98, they were still sending players such as Terrell Davis, Hines Ward, Champ Bailey and Adam Meadows to the NFL. Assembling talent has never been the problem
...and Garrison Hearst, Bernard Williams (many will have never heard of him, but he was a mammoth O-lineman taken 14th overall in 1994 and made the All-Rookie team before being unable to stay off the weed), Matt Stinchcomb, Olandis Gary (appeared to have a promising career ahead of him as the guy who succeeded Terrell Davis, but tore his knee up)...

Even when they stunk, they were putting 4-5 guys in the NFL every year. Georgia has some years that are better than others, but it's in their DNA to never quite squeeze all the juice out of the orange.

People also neglect to mention that Dooley left Butch with far less than what Butch left Pruitt.
Did he??? Because I seem to remember he left the worse team in school history (by record) for Pruitt. Also I’d take what Dooley left Butch over what Butch left Pruitt on just the Oline alone.

Did he??? Because I seem to remember he left the worse team in school history (by record) for Pruitt. Also I’d take what Dooley left Butch over what Butch left Pruitt on just the Oline alone.
There's a difference between the record of the team you left for an incoming coach and the quality of the roster you left for an incoming coach. Dooley was different from Butch in that the records Dooley ended up with seemed to be in line with the talent level he had recruited. The 2015-17 records Butch ended up with seemed poor relative to the talent he had recruited.

Dooley left Butch a team that simply wasn't very talented (on paper or otherwise) or deep at a variety of positions. Remember, he infamously didn't sign any offensive linemen in one of his recruiting classes. Butch left Pruitt a team that also wasn't deep, but did have talented players (on paper) at various positions that Pruitt has been able to get some production out of (Jennings, Callaway, Chandler, Darrell Taylor, Bituli, Warrior, etc.).

There's a difference between the record of the team you left for an incoming coach and the quality of the roster you left for an incoming coach. Dooley was different from Butch in that the records Dooley ended up with seemed to be in line with the talent level he had recruited. The 2015-17 records Butch ended up with seemed poor relative to the talent he had recruited /QUOTE]
That’s why I said by record, although talent wise they have to be one of the worst as well. Arguing about this is really fighting over semantics, since both teams left we’re not in good shape. Which is why saying Dooley left Butch “far less” talent is revisionist history at best. If I was a coach, and I’m not so my opinion doesn’t matter, I would of taken the team left by dools over the one left by Butch. We can go position group by position group if you’d like. Just off the top of my head

QB- has to go to Butch even though Worley and Peterman were trash I’d take both of them over the JG we’ve gotten the past two years.

RB- Butch. Marlin Lane and Rajon Neal we’re better than leaving one established running back in Ty chandler

WR- Pruitt. Not even close.

Oline- Butch. Not even close

Dline- I say draw, but on paper it was definitely Pruitt

Linebackers- not even close. Butch all the way

Secondary- probably a draw. I’d have to get off work and actually look at both rosters, but neither Butch nor Pruitt was left a very good secondary.

Point being Butch didn’t leave that much more for Pruitt. It’s just old Butch fan boys that want us to believe so.

Butch had no DL. Remember he had to beef up a walk on LB to play DT.

Plus they just lost their second OC in as many years for a lateral move. I don't think people like Kirby or working for him. His shortcomings will start to be evident and the program will slide.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Plus they just lost their second OC in as many years for a lateral move. I don't think people like Kirby or working for him. His shortcomings will start to be evident and the program will slide.
We hired a new oc and demoted Coley before he left.. So yeah

VN Store

Back