Georgia Tech @ Florida State

You know what? I'm man enough to back pedal a little bit. I think both programs would be pretty Equal if both had the same conference and AD copentcy. Maybe way superior is a stretch. I looked up some history and both programs are pretty close to eachother in a lot of categories.

Florida is the better academic school, with more money, more political power in the state, more alumni, etc.

The whole thing is probably a stupid argument to begin with as it's been proven you can compete at the highest level at either place.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
Care to explain why UF cried like a little baby when FSU wanted to join the SEC? I'll wait.

Sure. The SEC is better. The SEC is a recruiting advantage for Florida. Florida plays FSU annually anyhow, why would they want FSU to enjoy the spoils of the SEC?

The other school of thought is, and many UF fans felt this way; let them join the SEC. Many UF fans got tired of watching them pound Virginia and NC State and Maryland into oblivion year after year and wanted to see them play real teams.

What’s your point?

It was rumored that Tennessee would be moved to the SEC West and Florida would lose the annual automatic win.

No, I'm waiting for the real answer. AKA UF was scared to death. This ain't about UT vs UF, UT sucks against UF. Who's arguing that. I want to know why UF cried like a little baby when FSU wanted to 100% move to the SEC? Oh the same reason UF cried like a little baby to the SEC about using the next two rotational opponents this year. Because UF is only successful when they luck out and other programs around them are dumpster fires aka FSU and UT. The only time the were legit were the 90s, since then they just benefited from their rivals being ran by complete dumbasses. We see how it goes when LSU and UF are on equal footing. We see how it goes when UF and UGA are on equal footing. We see how it goes when FSU isn't a dumpster fire.

But congrats you always beat UT ( a program that has been .500 since 07) Vandy and UK. Congrats, really. At least FSU has a Natty in the past decade despite being a dumpster fire the past few years.

Sure. The SEC is better. The SEC is a recruiting advantage for Florida. Florida plays FSU annually anyhow, why would they want FSU to enjoy the spoils of the SEC?

The other school of thought is, and many UF fans felt this way; let them join the SEC. Many UF fans got tired of watching them pound Virginia and NC State and Maryland into oblivion year after year and wanted to see them play real teams.

What’s your point?

I'm not staying UF fans are scared of FSU. I bet a lot of UF fans did want FSU to join the SEC. Would of been great for college football. But the program itself through a little hissy fit and blocked it. Bama did as well so I'm not going to put all the hate on UF in that decision.

No, I'm waiting for the real answer. AKA UF was scared to death. This ain't about UT vs UF, UT sucks against UF. Who's arguing that. I want to know why UF cried like a little baby when FSU wanted to 100% move to the SEC? Oh the same reason UF cried like a little baby to the SEC about using the next two rotational opponents this year. Because UF is only successful when they luck out and other programs around them are dumpster fires aka FSU and UT. The only time the were legit were the 90s, since then they just benefited from their rivals being ran by complete dumbasses. We see how it goes when LSU and UF are on equal footing. We see how it goes when UF and UGA are on equal footing. We see how it goes when FSU isn't a dumpster fire.

But congrats you always beat UT ( a program that has been .500 since 07) Vandy and UK. Congrats, really. At least FSU has a Natty in the past decade despite being a dumpster fire the past few years.

I put another answer earlier.....

But, just so you know, Saint Bobby kept FSU out of the SEC and you can look that up. But, here's one link

Bobby Bowden Admits on Finebaum Show, SEC Too Tough for FSU

I'm not staying UF fans are scared of FSU. I bet a lot of UF fans did want FSU to join the SEC. Would of been great for college football. But the program itself through a little hissy fit and blocked it. Bama did as well so I'm not going to put all the hate on UF in that decision.

Count me as one of the many who wanted FSU in the SEC. I wanted to see them try and run the gauntlet every year like we had to. While we were playing really great Tennessee, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Bama, etc teams, they were waltzing through their conference unopposed. They won the ACC something like 13 straight years. They had a ridiculous 38-game ACC win streak. I wanted them in the SEC. I wasn’t alone.

I put another answer earlier.....

But, just so you know, Saint Bobby kept FSU out of the SEC and you can look that up. But, here's one link

Bobby Bowden Admits on Finebaum Show, SEC Too Tough for FSU

That’s the truth. I don’t recall people on the UF side making a big fuss in opposition to it. It was Bobby Bowden admittedly wanting a path of least resistance. He famously quipped; “I’d rather be a live chicken than a dead hero.”

Losing your big league debut to a QB you ran off... ouch.

Losing to a true freshman QB no less, while you had an experienced senior QB, at home (although I know that doesn’t quite carry the same weight this year), and to a team that was really, really bad last year and still trying to re-work personnel from a decade-plus of triple option football.

Count me in the camp that wanted FSU in the SEC back in the late 80s, before UTK was an impure thought in his father’s mind.

We play FSU every year already...might as well make them play a real conference schedule too.

But as someone else mentioned, Bobby Bowden punked out and joined the A She She instead. The reasons why he punked out are well documented.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaws
My post was just to elicit a response. It was definitely not serious. I figured I might get response from you knowing how much everyone (myself included) laughed at UCF claiming a title.

But what’s sad is youre right. UCF is the 2nd best program in the state right now.

All subject to change of course. But right now that’s where we are.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I'm not sure what has been harder to believe, what we've been through the past 10 years or what FSU has been through since they won the natty.
FSU's decline was certainly way more abrupt; honestly, their's might be harder to believe than ours. Their program went from the national title level to the missing bowl games/running through coaches level in about 5 years. We took about 10-12 years to make that trip.

FSU's decline was certainly way more abrupt; honestly, their's might be harder to believe than ours. Their program went from the national title level to the missing bowl games/running through coaches level in about 5 years. We took about 10-12 years to make that trip.

Their decline is remarkable considering how well Jimbo Fisher recruited while he was there.

Reactions: 05_never_again
No more than usual if I recall.

The last year of Fisher at FSU was reminiscent of Meyer’s last year at UF.

Plenty of talent on hand, but nothing to show for it.
And yet TX AM pays him a gob of cash. He’s a mediocre hc.

No more than usual if I recall.

The last year of Fisher at FSU was reminiscent of Meyer’s last year at UF.

Plenty of talent on hand, but nothing to show for it.

The even greater parallel to me was that clearly he was already out the door and phoned it in.

I came back to this thread because the topic was brought up of UF vs. FSU.

And one of the things I am reading about more today is just how much trouble FSU is in financially. The short version is had anyone had a crystal ball and known about COVID, Taggart would not have been fired. He was fired because as ridiculous as his buyout was, bean counters figured out the effect on tickets and revenue was worse than the buyout.

But, now, they've got both. The buyout and no revenue and they are in deep, deep.....shall we say.....stuff.

If Norvell is not the answer, they are going to be hurting for a long time and the entire athletic program is going to suffer.

VN Store

Back