George Mason hiring Kim English

Yep. Better get a stud recruiter to replace him. Barnes ain't exactly known as a master of the living room.
Lmao...English helped us land Chandler, and even without English there’s a good chance he’s still a Vol, where is this coming from? I’m not saying he wasn’t/isn’t a good recruiter but we recruited just fine before him and while he was here?

1. Kennedy Chandler

That is the entire list of names of commitments that English was the lead recruiter for. Try again.

English was a great assistant and would have remained a great asset to the staff, no doubt about it. But he is replaceable. As I said last week when Oliver was in the running for the Albany (?) job, losing him would hurt us in recruiting. He is directly tied to BHH, BJ Edwards, and Handje Tamba. He also landed us Corey Walker, Jordan Bone, and Fulkerson, among others.
according to VQ he was also lead for Springer and Johnson.

Reactions: orangemadam
according to VQ he was also lead for Springer and Johnson.
Oliver or English?

I thought Lanier was the lead for both of those guys up to the point he left? In any case, Lanier laid the groundwork for both, I believe. English or Oliver may have finished the job, though.

It's a good thing, let him get some HC experience and a good tournament run, in a few years he can take a turn at UT.

Oliver or English?

I thought Lanier was the lead for both of those guys up to the point he left? In any case, Lanier laid the groundwork for both, I believe. English or Oliver may have finished the job, though.
Oliver...Oliver has the strong Maze bond so I’m guessing he was big on Springer.

I think you are correct. Oliver is the guy we don't want to lose the most. He's the Jimmy's and Joe's connection as well as a solid in X's and O's voice.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Lmao...English helped us land Chandler, and even without English there’s a good chance he’s still a Vol, where is this coming from? I’m not saying he wasn’t/isn’t a good recruiter but we recruited just fine before him and while he was here?
You're absolutely correct. When I look up and down our roster, it's gushing with talent. These guys are evaluating and recruiting at an unbelievable level. I stand corrected.

You're absolutely correct. When I look up and down our roster, it's gushing with talent. These guys are evaluating and recruiting at an unbelievable level. I stand corrected.
Well considering the recruiting rankings of our recent classes I would suggest you needed corrected for sure.

I think you are correct. Oliver is the guy we don't want to lose the most. He's the Jimmy's and Joe's connection as well as a solid in X's and O's voice.
He’s the quiet guy, the type of self-sacrificing guy that put others first and didn’t want to take the credit. He’s a hard-working, others first kind of guy. I am sure English was good, but most of the credit for success amongst the assistants has to go to Oliver.

Jai Lucas could be someone...played for Barnes, hired as support staff by Barnes and then stayed at Texas under Shaka, Calipari and Kentucky hired him this year as an official assistant coach, moving Tony Barbee to a support role.
VQ saying Lucas could be one to watch, Barnes wants to stay younger with the higher and Lucas has reached out to Barnes to let him know he’s interested.

VQ saying Lucas could be one to watch, Barnes wants to stay younger with the higher and Lucas has reached out to Barnes to let him know he’s interested.
Stealing one from Kentucky would be an added bonus, and there is an obvious relationship with Barnes, but I'd prefer someone who has a record of developing and successfully recruiting big men. He was the primary recruiter for Greg Brown at Texas, but it seems like Darrin Horn did most of the heavy lifting on the recruiting front while Lucas was at Texas, and Joel Justus and Tony Barbee are mostly responsible for UK's recruiting. Other than the last name, "Lucas", I'm not really sure what Jai brings to the staff unless he is a brilliant Xs and Os guy, which he may be.

Stealing one from Kentucky would be an added bonus, and there is an obvious relationship with Barnes, but I'd prefer someone who has a record of developing and successfully recruiting big men. He was the primary recruiter for Greg Brown at Texas, but it seems like Darrin Horn did most of the heavy lifting on the recruiting front while Lucas was at Texas, and Joel Justus and Tony Barbee are mostly responsible for UK's recruiting. Other than the last name, "Lucas", I'm not really sure what Jai brings to the staff unless he is a brilliant Xs and Os guy, which he may be.

Barbee was pulled into an off court role which doesn’t allow him to recruit, Lucas was put into his spot...given Cal’s emphasis on recruiting I would venture to guess that he felt pretty good about what Lucas could get done on the trail.

Barbee was pulled into an off court role which doesn’t allow him to recruit, Lucas was put into his spot...given Cal’s emphasis on recruiting I would venture to guess that he felt pretty good about what Lucas could get done on the trail.
I was aware of that switch. Lucas hasn’t had a ton of time to be effective on the trail at UK, but his record at Texas wasn’t great unless he was primary for a lot of kids I’m unaware of. Brown and Liddell are the only two kids I can find where he was the lead recruiter. Like you said, Cal putting a guy front and center in recruiting speaks volumes, so I’m less concerned, but it still is worth a mention, I think.

I was aware of that switch. Lucas hasn’t had a ton of time to be effective on the trail at UK, but his record at Texas wasn’t great unless he was primary for a lot of kids I’m unaware of. Brown and Liddell are the only two kids I can find where he was the lead recruiter. Like you said, Cal putting a guy front and center in recruiting speaks volumes, so I’m less concerned, but it still is worth a mention, I think.

In his first season as an assistant at Texas, he aided in the growth of freshman Jarrett Allen, who earned All-Big 12 Conference honors and was selected No. 22 overall by the Brooklyn Nets in the 2017 NBA Draft.

Mohamed Bamba was an honorable mention All-America selection and was a finalist for the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Center of the Year award in 2017-18. He was picked No. 6 overall by the Orlando Magic and was the eighth lottery pick in school history.

In 2018-19, with Lucas playing another key role, Jaxon Hayes was named the Big 12’s Freshman of the Year. He was selected eighth overall by the Atlanta Hawks. With Hayes’ draft selection, Texas joined Kentucky and Duke as the only programs with a lottery pick in back-to-back drafts.

Lucas was an integral part in helping Texas land three top-20 classes during his tenure as an assistant coach. The Longhorns hauled in the No. 6 (2017), No. 8 (2018) and the No. 17 (2019) classes (according to 247Sports) with Lucas among the team’s full-time assistants on the recruiting cycle. The sixth-ranked class in 2017 was highlighted by the signing of Bamba, who was rated as the No. 3 player in the class.

Tom Penders was the guy who started the return of Texas to prominence.

My family is from Texas, and I know about Penders. It was during the years that I grew up. Looking back, he did better than I remembered. Barnes took it, was more consistent, and got a little further. Going to the NCAAT 16 out of 17 for Barnes and 24 out of 27 for both sets a pretty high standard for future coaches.

VN Store

Back